FA Cup 1st Round - Salford City (A)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A trip to the North West for Notts on Friday night. We all know about Salford since there were taken over by the class of 92. There's even a weekly series on them on the BBC on Thursday nights. 

Salford play in the Evo Stik League Premier Division. That's 3 levels below League 2. Salford are 4th in the table, 9 points behind the leaders but with 3 games in hand. 

They lost 2-1 at Nantwich Town in the first qualifying round of the FA trophy last Friday. They made 9 changes to the side that drew 2-2 with Matlock Town in their last game so they obviously rested players with the Notts game in mind. 

Salford have a few players with league experience. The best known is Danny Webber who played for Manchester United. They also have Stephen O Halloran who played for Villa. The main threat is striker James Poole. He has 8 goals in 11 games this season. 

Salford like to play the ball on the ground but they don't shy away from the physical side of the game. Their preferred system seems to be 4-3-3 which works well for them based on their results. 

Notts should win this game, no matter what side we field. Salford will come at us in the first 20 minutes but if they weather that storm, class will tell eventually. We cannot take Salford lightly. We have treat them as if they were Portsmouth or Plymouth. 

I'm going for 3-0 to Notts and a place in the second round of the FA Cup. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Old grumpy's not happy that the game is the same time as his sides game(against you know who).

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

We are on the tele as well so that is a bonus for those of us not travelling up there!

BBC 2 (HD as well) at 8 O'Clock.

Need to get back early from the bonfire we are supposed to be attending on that night! I cancelled a Labour meeting on that Friday to take the kids to the Bonfire so I cant cancel that to watch the tv!!!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not nervous, it is a potential banana skin tie but we generally do alright in the cup.

We need to keep a settled squad, so remain unchanged wherever possible and just focus on creating chances. Provided we don't get cocky or allow them time, we should be perfectly fine. I was speaking to @[member="Drivingmenotts"], he mentioned a draw would be a good result and if we could pull them back here it would be some extra money - though I do hope we can progress at the first attempt.

2-0 Notts win is my prediction.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,294
  • Days Won:  69

Is that the grumpy ram

Yep that's me @Notts26(GrannyPie is my other half and we're  notts-joe's parents)

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

Yep that's me @Notts26(GrannyPie is my other half and we're notts-joe's parents)

in that case I'm sure I saw @[member="notts-joe"] causing trouble at the Pompey game 😁😁 or it was his look alike

Guest gtownjohnno

Does anyone know if the loanees have been given permission to be in the squad for friday evening???....sheehan is important...barnby is not i thought he was poor against pompey...

barmbys loan ended after Pompey I think as for Sheehan can't see Bradford wanting him as they wanna get rid.

So id expect Sheehan to be allowed to play an sign for us in Jan to

Supporter+

I think we will win comfortable, if we do not I will eat my hat.

Does Giggs play for them?

No, none of the 5 ex Man Utd players are registered with the club which means they can't spring a surprise and appear on the team sheet on Friday. 

not been funny but the only ex United player would worry me is Giggs Scholes was asked by Neville a while back to play.

Scholes responded he was fat and not up for it and he's 43-44 I believe Salford may make it hard and be resilient.

But we should break them down comfortable I'm expecting 3-0 McLeod 2 Burke 1

Evo Stick North? They keep confusing me with all these name changes...

Is that conference north? i.e, one div below conference?

Below conference same league as Darlington who went bust years back it's the same league were we got yohan rutty smith from.

But he's only 16 not a very great league to be honest there is abit of talent in it though a suppose.

Supporter+

Evo Stick North? They keep confusing me with all these name changes...

Is that conference north? i.e, one div below conference?

I get confused myself.....It's 2 levels below the Conference. If you get promoted you go into the National League North or South. Take away the sponsorship and it's called the Northern Premier League. 

So basically we should not be losing this FA cup or not.

I expect us to go there kill the game early still going for my 3-1 and make it a winning run of 5 unbeaten.

after that Pompey win confidence should be through the roof

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

For a team made up of has beens , hopefullls , and not quite good enough players, this will be the equivalent of the Cup final, Champions league and miss world all rolled into one.

No I am not talking about the Florist.

Salford have the chance to be on TV, knowing most neutrals will be hoping that they can pull off a miracle. Tonight is David against Goliath  where for a change we are the bad guys. Add to that the Man U connection and a Salford win would be a TV promotors dream.

It could easily become a physical battle, with every 50/50 decision going against us, and I can see Salford, who have nothing to loose and all to win, battering Notts for the first half hour. After that, if we haven't given up, as we did at the beginning of the season, we will rip them apart.  

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We are camping in our van at the moment and I was very relieved to get a decent picture on our portable so I will be cheering the lads on with a friend who is a Rams fan in our van whilst Mrs H will be knitting or crocheting or some other womanly thing in our friends van with the Rams fans wife.

COME ON YOU PIES

We are camping in our van at the moment and I was very relieved to get a decent picture on our portable so I will be cheering the lads on with a friend who is a Rams fan in our van whilst Mrs H will be knitting or crocheting or some other womanly thing in our friends van with the Rams fans wife.

COME ON YOU PIES

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️ were going to win 2-0 and at the end McLeod will boot the ball an itl hit Gary Neville on the head perfect end to a match 😊

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

If this was a pre-season friendly then there would be no doubt a Notts win but in the FA Cup...even so this should really be a Notts win, COYP, looking forward to hearing The Wheelbarrow song on the BBC!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Nice piece on us for the game, it's nice that it hasn't all been about Salford, which I expected it to largely be.

I wasn't going to watch it earlier, though I am sat in my living room with it on - I'm the only one paying attention. :( Hopefully it won't be the case when we score, though the little ones are playing on the floor with wooden train sets.

COYP!

Supporter+

Woeful so far. Salford looking like the league side. Da Silva the only bright light. Defence is creaking. Midfield is struggling. McLeod spending most of his time on the ground. I think a breeze blew him over earlier!

Archived