Morecambe (H)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Morecambe beat Notts 4-1 in August. A strange game. 2 late goals put a gloss on the scoreline. Notts didn't take their chances against a patched up home side.

Morecambe are on a poor run of form. 1 win in 7 in all competitions. Beaten by York in their last league game. Their game vs Mansfield fell foul of the weather today.

Morecambe are 18th. 2 points behind Notts. They have scored 38 goals (5 more than Notts) and conceded 39 (1 more than Notts).

Barry Roche is a decent keeper at this level but the defence are woeful. Barkhuizen will cause problems in midfield but his partner in crime Mullin is either injured or suspended. Miller up front could pose a few problems. Morecambe play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Teams have adjusted to it and it's not working as well as earlier in the season.

Let's be honest, anything less than a home win would be disappointing. Both teams are woeful at the back so there should be goals. 4-2 to Notts is my prediction.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm half and half right now on what I expect, I don't think they will be plain-sailing but we should have enough to win.

At least I am more positive at home.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Three points here or questions will be asked. I have a good feeling that we'll do it though, despite my presence!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

We should win this one, I am hoping we give them a good thrashing.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I'll let the stats speak for themselves. We have played half the season. We have won 8 out of 23 games. We have a total of 30 points from 69 on offer. Our goal difference is -5. All that from one of the biggest budgets in the division.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Very poor first half. In fact it was disgusting. No cover from the midfield and defence planning was 0 so nobody seemed to know what they were doing.

Hewitt is a liability.

Second half, much better. Did Ray nip into the changing room with a bunch of P45's??? Different team BECAUSE we attacked and Morecambe couldn't expose our poor midfield so much and poor defence.

Short sharp attacking balls lead to a different team imo going forwards, but the final 15 mins went back to them charging at us and panicking.

Not convinced by Burke as a winger tbh. Wanders in far too much leaving the wing empty when the space is needed.

Honestly to keep the debate going I would still sack him and backroom on that performance in the cold light of day thats got to be seen as another bad performance. 2 points dropped against a side that weren't good. We were bad in the first half.

Tactically unaware leads to bad starts and what do we do best at the moment? Bad starts. No terrible starts. Not just the individual errors, but as a whole defensively (as a team) we have no idea. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

we're are all the moniz in fans now absolutely crap we are now starting to gift teams chances to win again morecombe should of been 4-0  up.

They cut through us like it was to simple which it was we then move stead out wide and say hey Murray you're pace would terrify them for the last 10 mins but let's shove stead there instead .

Im sorry the signs are starting to show now that at home we have a big crack spreading over the pitch moniz is out for me simple as that today showed it.

If morecombe were more clinical it would of been 4 or 5 first half 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I haven't felt well today, in fact I only managed to get up about half an hour ago but Kate told me it finished 2-2.

I don't think we need to pass judgement on people so much, especially amongst ourselves - if people rate Moniz that's there decision. I personally see what he's trying to do but I am struggling to rationalize many of his decisions. Obviously without being there, I cannot comment on the performance but from what I have read - a draw seems fair.

This sluggish Notts which doesn't seem to make use of it's natural ability must stop, I don't believe for a second it's all down to Moniz.

Perhaps we need someone at the helm who can motivate the players, I really thought Dave Kevan would have been someone to help with this but it seems he's just a passenger.

7 points from the play-offs, possibly 10 if Carlisle win their game in hand.

I think we magpies need to find a source of inspiration.

well il put it simple moniz is clueless first half morecombe were bigger stronger and bullied us in the air smith was non egxistant and couldn't keep up first goal.

I Rember there player made a run behind Milsom I believe or might of been Audel and they didn't track him and simple tap in.

Now penalty I believe the bloke easily danced his way in the box Audel sticked a leg out which he had to try and get the ball but the bloke should never of got in our box to begin with.

Now Carroll great save and why they all stand and watch Ellison I believe it was just tap in is another joke.

they also hit the post in first half nearly scored from most corners they could and should of been 3 or 4up before half time yea we got back in the game.

Yea we looked better near the end of game but let's be serious 7 points off the play offs morecombe rare below us and Carlisle have a game in hand so maybe 10 points off.

Sorry if you can't beat Morecombe at home Newport should of won to the signs are showing I'm sick of having to be 2-0 down to get a reaction it's simple he's living on borrowed time anyone who watched that first half will tell you we are lucky to have a point based on first 45 mins 

Supporter+

Yes we were lucky to get a point based on the first half (which was awful) but there are two halves in a game and I bet the Moniz out brigade were gutted when we pulled it back to 2-2 and very nearly won.

still keep hoping we lose and booing the team and Moniz and they'll get their wish.

12 minutes ago, tonyhateley said:

Yes we were lucky to get a point based on the first half (which was awful) but there are two halves in a game and I bet the Moniz out brigade were gutted when we pulled it back to 2-2 and very nearly won.

still keep hoping we lose and booing the team and Moniz and they'll get their wish.

Can you remember the last time we started well and defended as a team @tonyhateley? Do you really think looking at the game as a whole we played well? No consistency and such poor organisation has to be down to the manager and staff, not neccessarily the players, who showed they could do it in the second half for a good period. How frustrating is it when everyone knows they can do it, but they are so tactically unaware they don't show it. Imagine where the biggest and most expensive squad in the league would be with a tactician in charge.

As I said mid match to you, I don't want Notts to lose, but that was a bad performance overall. On top of another bad performance and so it continues.

so we should be happy that we managed to get a point against a side that have lost to York City and have lost there last 7 out of 8? 

If that's happy some people need to heck there ambitions I don't mind gettin draws when the opposition is class and you're like they look damn good.

But when we gift two goals away and yea second half no doubt we upped it but you can't accept a draw when in all honesty morecombe were cr**.

There are optimistic and so on people that always try and see the best that's fine at the end of day but this is not a good point they are a team lower then us and haven't won in there last 7 and for 45 mins they was passing us of the park @tonyhateley I understand you try and see the good in every match.

But sometimes even you have to be realistic and admit 45mins for a team that haven't won in 7 home and away played us off the park and could of had 3 or 4 Newport came and took us apart and were unlucky.

Now can we give Oxford a 2-0 start to we can't keep doing this it's the only thing keeping us going home form but today it looked fragile at times and the attendence looked very empty again how many was in the pavis 

34 minutes ago, tonyhateley said:

another thing I didn't boo and never will just in case my name gets chucked in there the boo boys sit at the back of kop I sit at front and performances are what's gets you sacked.

Its down to split choices and moments key moments of fans could sack him he would of gone months ago.

Just in case you try to highlight me as the following 

Never once given a boo at Notts in all my years! 37  now I think. Seen some serious rubbish from Thompson (twice for Christ Sake!!!) And so many other poor managers over the years ( Jocky who?) But still no booing from me. 

Saying all that ,I came close in the terrible first half today.

3 hours ago, notts-joe said:

I haven't felt well today, in fact I only managed to get up about half an hour ago but Kate told me it finished 2-2.

I don't think we need to pass judgement on people so much, especially amongst ourselves - if people rate Moniz that's there decision. I personally see what he's trying to do but I am struggling to rationalize many of his decisions. Obviously without being there, I cannot comment on the performance but from what I have read - a draw seems fair.

This sluggish Notts which doesn't seem to make use of it's natural ability must stop, I don't believe for a second it's all down to Moniz.

Perhaps we need someone at the helm who can motivate the players, I really thought Dave Kevan would have been someone to help with this but it seems he's just a passenger.

7 points from the play-offs, possibly 10 if Carlisle win their game in hand.

I think we magpies need to find a source of inspiration.

Hope you've are feeling better! First half might have made you chuck yourself off Trent Bridge it was so bad!!!

Spot on with Kevan comment. Every time the sack Moniz comments have come out I've made sure to say the backroom needs clearing out.

Kevan and Yates have beean utter failure imo. Respect Yates as a player, and as a commentator, but as a defensive coach? Look at the goals conceded. I rest my case.

Supporter+

It's funny how boos were ringing out at 2-0 down but you'd never get anyone to admit to booing.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, just an observation, people don't like admitting to it.

Does anyone on here care to admit to booing and can they tell us what good they think it will do.

1 minute ago, tonyhateley said:

It's funny how boos were ringing out at 2-0 down but you'd never get anyone to admit to booing.

I'm not calling anyone a liar, just an observation, people don't like admitting to it.

Does anyone on here care to admit to booing and can they tell us what good they think it will do.

Boos were ringing out. What good did they do? Well something kicked the players up the arse! Ray may have heard them, meaning the winter of discontent doesn't go on much longer than it needs to.

As I said, too many **** managers gone through the doors to be booing at every opportunity. Christ if I didnt boo at Mills or Brazil or Ince, I'm not going to start now. Not to say I don't understand the need for people to express their feelings. No different to Moniz trotting half way down the pitch to express his only to be pulled up by ref, assistant ref and opposition players. It is a passionate game and if people pay for entertainment then if it's not forthcoming on a regular basis then they will resent the money spent. Season ticket holders like myself commit year in year out, but if times were hard and I'd just chucked 24 quid down the drain I'm sure emotions would be running high!!!!

il tell you who do it the top of the kop so all the ones who drum and so on booing is wrong.

But if people pay there money then that's there choice not mine not yours 

All it does is makes it worse but saying that the players need to start an get there act sorted it's there job they get paid to play football.

ive said his before football is now a modern game fans are not happy they'll let the players kno.

It might not be right but some people do it so yea the people at the top of the kop were booing so there the ones 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

If you're going to boo, there's plenty of time after the whistle has gone. Doing it when we're already struggling just piles on additional pressure the players don't need. The board don't need to hear boos to know we're struggling. It was probably just an emotional response to be fair.

As for the match, it was nothing if not entertaining. In the cold light of day though it's two points dropped against a very beatable team thanks to a pathetic first half. Our problems in the centre-half position are well-known, and frankly it was predictable that a midfield duo of Smith and Aborah would not provide sufficient protection. Morecambe exploited this in the first half by running at us and getting between us and we were all over the place defensively for much of the first half. A special mention here goes to Hewitt, I hope he learns from the experience. Smith isn't mobile enough to protect the back four; ideally we need a battler in the mould of Bishop or Ravenhill to do the dirty work.

Going forwards we always looked dangerous and created lots of chances. Stead worked very hard, although he tired towards the end.

Should Moniz go? I see a lot less of Notts than most of you but something fundamental about his approach just doesn't fit. We focus on attacking to the detriment of everything else. We spent big money on strikers and attacking midfielders in the summer yet are relying on our fitness coach to fill in as CB. A good manager looks to secure clean sheets first and foremost. Our team looks great when it's chasing a game, but in this league you also need the grit to grind out tight results on a regular basis. I actually enjoyed today but it isn't hard to see why we struggle so much away when the opposition takes the game to us.

Supporter+

When we went 2-0 down I was chatting to @hissingdwarf and told him we would win 3-2 at that point it seemed unbelievable but it very nearly happened. I can't remember being so entertained at Notts for a very very long time. I don't travel to away matches perhaps if I did I would have a different opinion.

What I see at home is a team that is struggling big time defensively but also a team who look very good going forward with fighting spirit who will never lie down.

If we were getting hammered every week and Moniz had lost the dressing room I would be concerned but we aren't and he hasn't, we just need to sort our defensive issues out and maybe we can do that in January.

I don't want another manager coming in because invariably we will see a short term uplift in results and then a slumping back to mediocre performances boring defensive displays and a clear out of all the players in the summer because it isn't "his team". Let's have stability for a change.

I honestly believe the silent majority of fans agree with me, only the vocal minority want him out. I saw lots of fans staying behind and applauding the players as they came off the pitch yesterday because they had been entertained.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I want to be entertained. Keep Moniz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

Notts were poor in the first half and I don't think individual errors were down to the manager which is what cost us the goals. What the manager can control is who is on the pitch. As an example I don't think Alan Smith has got the stamina now to play an intense 90 minutes, maybe 40 as he showed more aggression and grit in the second half. If one of your midfield has only got 40 minutes running in him then that needs to be managed, teams like Morecambe or any team with pace will dominate. Maybe tell Smith to battle and disrupt the opposition for 1 half and be absolutely knackered and then bring Curtis Thompson on for the second. 

In the second half Notts took the game to Morecambe, so if Moniz is criticised for the 1st half then should he get the credit for the second half?

I like how a criticism of Notts is always that other teams 'could have got four of five and we were lucky'. Yes Morecambe could have scored more but then so could Notts have taken their chances and won.

The away form this year is terrible and I've got huge respect for those that are travelling to away games. 

At home Notts have won three games this season by scoring 4 goals, have only lost three times (I think only in the Mansfield game were Notts were played off the pitch). We have one of the most skilful players in the division in  Aborah playing for us, and Notts have played some good football at home, including the second half yesterday. Personally I'm glad I bought a season ticket and have been watching each match. 

What would entice more fans to Meadow Lane, scoring 5 or 6 instead of 4? Even yesterday was entertaining, I would rather watch that than see Notts set up to just grind out a clean sheet and end up with the same point.

Ray Trew has gambled in the past sacking the manager mid season and we are were we are. I would like him to gamble this time retaining a manager.

If you want Moniz out fair enough, but don't pretend you speak for everybody for example 'if fans could sack him he would of gone months ago'

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Fortunately, Moniz has gone - at least 3 months too late IMO.

We were diabolical in the first half against Morecsmbe, absolutely dire.  There were glimpses of better quality in the second half, a few decent moves & some slick passing - but don't believe, for 1 minute, that it was sustained.  We fizzled out and the game could have gone either way in the end.

It is just a relief that Moniz and the others have gone, we were going backwards under his regime, the bloke is clueless, utterly clueless. Good riddance.

Archived