Tony Cascarino

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,772
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

...but turning the clock back to 1994. The striker had firm interest from Notts and Blackpool, but instead of Cote d'Trent, he went to Cote D'azur...namely Marseille. He was chatting about this on TalkSport, this afternoon

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There's a blast from the past, I muddle who he is at first - I was thinking more along the lines of @super_ram 'Tony'.

Did he say anything about Notts as such or why he didn't move to either us or Blackpool? I like listening to talk sport when they have different people on. There's some very interesting facts mentioned but I must admit, how they kept getting Derry back sort of made me lose interest (because it was the same each time - bar he turned a little bitter to certain people he wouldn't name).

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,772
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

In the end, he said it was a lifestyle choice and was looking to improve as a person with a real challenge. I think Mick Walker was manager at the time

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

We had Lund and McSwegan in 94, so I'm assuming Walker wanted Cascarino to play instead of Lund? Obviously he turned us down, so Walker went and bought Jemson instead?!? I never understood that purchase as Jemson wasn't a patch on Gary Mac, apart from Gary having fragile hamstrings.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

50 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

We had Lund and McSwegan in 94, so I'm assuming Walker wanted Cascarino to play instead of Lund? Obviously he turned us down, so Walker went and bought Jemson instead?!? I never understood that purchase as Jemson wasn't a patch on Gary Mac, apart from Gary having fragile hamstrings.

this was when jemson had passed it right? its all before my time. :(

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

Cascarino as a Notts player ah? That would have been interesting to see. We had fire power back then but a more prolific scorer would have been useful to have.

2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

In the end, he said it was a lifestyle choice and was looking to improve as a person with a real challenge. I think Mick Walker was manager at the time

Well the move turned out good for him.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

3 hours ago, liampie said:

this was when jemson had passed it right? its all before my time. :(

No, I think he was only around 25 at the time, but he had no real pace and I can't recall him playing that often. He cost us some decent money though, which we didn't get back.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I had left for the states well before we had signed Nigel Jemson.

Tony Cascarino would have been a good signing for Notts. Was the fee mentioned that Notts offered? I wonder how much losing the old division one statues really cost us. Its been downhill ever since which is quite sad.

Archived