Match Discussion: Game 29 - The Minstermen (A)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

York is around 70 miles from Nottingham so it's a short trip for Notts this week. There are several fun and interesting places to visit in the city. Take a take trip back to York's gory past in the York Dungeon. Alternatively you could visit the cathedral to pray for a Notts victory. Right that's my bit for the York tourist board finished, no they didn't pay me.....honest. 

York are dead last in the table. 24th out of 24 teams. They have 20 points (16 less than Notts). They have scored 29 goals (11 less than Notts) and conceded a whopping 52 goals (6 more than Notts).

Their record in their last 5 games is won 1 (Stevenage at home), drew 1 (Carlisle away) and lost 3 (Newport at home and Yeovil and Northmapton away). 

Their squad isn't much to write home about. They have a couple of decent players. Luke Summerfield on the wing is decent Michael Coulson up front is good on his day. They have a problem scoring goals. They have tightened up at the back though and that makes them hard to beat. The only team to score more than 1 goal against them in their last 5 was Northampton. 2 1-0 defeats tells its own story. 

York play a 4-4-2 formation. They will have to make one change as their right back was sent off against Northampton. They are quite defensive and concentrate more on stopping the other team scoring than trying to score themselves. 

I think this is a tricky game for Notts. On paper, you'd say away win without too much hesitation, but York are hard to score against. They'll sit back and make it difficult. Notts have found a winning formula away from home but York will play like the away team so Notts may have to change tactics. I think it will a game that Notts dominate but find it hard to break York down. I'll go for 1-0 to Notts. Should be a fascinating game though. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

York is around 70 miles from Nottingham so it's a short trip for Notts this week. There are several fun and interesting places to visit in the city. Take a take trip back to York's gory past in the York Dungeon. Alternatively you could visit the cathedral to pray for a Notts victory. Right that's my bit for the York tourist board finished, no they didn't pay me.....honest. 

York are dead last in the table. 24th out of 24 teams. They have 20 points (16 less than Notts). They have scored 29 goals (11 less than Notts) and conceded a whopping 52 goals (6 more than Notts).

Their record in their last 5 games is won 1 (Stevenage at home), drew 1 (Carlisle away) and lost 3 (Newport at home and Yeovil and Northmapton away). 

Their squad isn't much to write home about. They have a couple of decent players. Luke Summerfield on the wing is decent Michael Coulson up front is good on his day. They have a problem scoring goals.

They have signed their former striker Luke James on loan, he would be their main source of goals and he could be dangerous

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I'm not going to try to call the match, although on paper it's a game we should win. I'm a bit jealous of all of you who are going to York - it'll be the last chance to visit Bootham Crescent (yes, York too are building a plastic out-of-town stadium, who cares about football heritage anyway) and the city is perfect for a weekend trip. Love the old town there and there are some great pubs. I went to Jorvik Viking Centre a few times when I was younger, found it fascinating - mind you, it's a very long time ago now!

• Like 2

Supporter+
54 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I'm not going to try to call the match, although on paper it's a game we should win. I'm a bit jealous of all of you who are going to York - it'll be the last chance to visit Bootham Crescent (yes, York too are building a plastic out-of-town stadium, who cares about football heritage anyway) and the city is perfect for a weekend trip. Love the old town there and there are some great pubs. I went to Jorvik Viking Centre a few times when I was younger, found it fascinating - mind you, it's a very long time ago now!

Is it true actual Vikings were still roaming England in your youth? 

:)

• Like 4

Supporter+
1 hour ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

They have signed their former striker Luke James on loan, he would be their main source of goals and he could be dangerous

Luke James is on loan at Hartlepool. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,273
  • Days Won:  80

Game 29 - The Minstermen (A)

Team: York City

Date: 13/02/16

Where: Bootham Crescent

What line-up should Jamie Fullarton opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,999
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've been to the Viking museum when I was younger, it's a fascinating place. I keep hearing about how York is a great place to visit but I haven't been since I was younger - if we play them next season I will be sure to add to my list of games to attend.

York are a side we should beat, however it's football and they are at home.

I hope JF's winning streak continues away from home but I have this down as a 2-2 draw.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

I think , given the last two away performances then building on those two wins needs to happen for some positivity and to keep things moving.

A chance to see if Mackenzie has had an impact in terms of organisation of the defence and also if the rest of the team can express themselves a bit more in terms of creativity.

I wouldn't want to second guess a line up because the manager will put the team out which he thinks will win.. and wont be scared to either take folk out or put folk in if he thinks they will do the business.

I actually think it will be 0 - 3 with an early goal putting York on the back foot right from the start. COYP !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohstanleyaborah said: They have signed their former striker Luke James on loan, he would be their main source of goals and he could be dangerous

Luke James is on loan at Hartlepool. 

My mistake I completely forgot we play York next and hartlepool after!

These shouldn't be too tough we just need to get our creative players on the ball and keep having shots, one is bound to go in!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I think the Away record will be improved by 5pm on Saturday. 

York 0 - 3 Notts 

Murrah X2 

Nobler 

677 Notts Fans 

Noble will be hungry for a goal and so will izale so I think we will win 2-0, if we get an early goal I reckon we will get 4

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

I hope its a win for Notts. 😊

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,775
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Expect team tomorrow to line up as:

Carroll

Hewitt MacKenzie Hollis Adams

Atkinson Curtis Noble Campbell

Stead Izzy

Piethagoram's creative side:

Loach

Hewitt MacKenzie Hollis Adams

Atkinson Curtis  Noble

Stanley  Valencic

Stead

Yes, I know Izzy isnt included but he only scores at home

• Like 2

McLeod in form and focused should have a field day at York City if we attack the game in the right way.

Confidence away from home really seems to be 'lifted' and I hope it doesn't fall short tomorrow, as the postponed game could very well indeed be a hidden blessing. I just hope the players dig deep to get the result which should follow, I know sides are fighting for their lives but if we play as we can - I don't see them coping.

@notts-joe I worry about Izzy's work rate... Hughes was always looking to aggressively chase down defenders in possession. Izzy is quite lazy in that regard, hence I would prefer to play with Stead as the one up leading the line. Looking forward to seeing a good match tomorrow

I know what you mean, he's work rate is something I have voiced concerns about.

Yet if performances improve, he should be at the front and hopefully with someone with pace to partner (without probably won't be the case) - yet at home it should always be this way. Tomorrow it's not so much a problem, if we keep the direct route and bombard balls into their penalty box.

I just hope to hear "It's Notts on attack" rather than "Notts are hanging in there" or wave after wave of York attacks.

• Like 1

I feel the same, he just doesn't try half the time and he gets pushed over so easily, hes not a small guy and id say he's got to be pretty strong, so why dive all of the time? He can score goals though and I think if he gets one tomorrow he would go on a run after all this period where he hasn't scored for a few games

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

The trouble is most refs are wise to McLeod's falling over antics. He does himself no favours and he should try to stay on his feet to score. 

• Like 1

The trouble is most refs are wise to McLeod's falling over antics. He does himself no favours and he should try to stay on his feet to score. 

That's the problem, he's probably a strong lad so if he stayed on his feet he probably would get a shot or be fouled for real

• Like 1

It's down to his manager and team mates to get him to cut it out, but the most frustrating part is when he dives or goes down easily in a good position - he tends to waste opportunities by doing it.

I've said to both Joe Jones and Cobby (browser refuses to allow me to tag - ha!) that a proper striker would try to shoot - rather than crumble to the floor in those situations. Regardless, he's a key player and we can demand more from him. He said it himself when he signed and when he spoke after hushing the crowd, so hopefully he can play a role in today's game.

I'm pretty confident.