Academy Priority

It's the only way to progress, It's impossible picking up 10 mercenaries every year, all out for 1 last 2 year deal!

Look at what's on show at present, Thompson's the only one who looks like he cares and he's not earning anything like Duffy, O Connor, Dickenson and Stead etc and he's not even 80% match fit!

We need 2 or 3 young local, hungry lads coming through each year. It's going to be difficult to get them to a signing position, big clubs will more than likely poach them long before that but AH has to go down this route. 

Its ok employing a premier league director, don't really see the point myself nor the need as there are better academy managers at our level.

I would presume that the want to appoint a big name to the post is in the hope of attracting players because of it. Just go and get the best youth scouts there are out there (they are predominantly the old blokes who know football inside out) and they will get the best players.

One thing to be wary off though, trying to attain eppp elite status just means these old blokes who keep the flow of kids into the game walk away to lower league clubs academies as they aren't there to fill out the reams and reams of paper that the FA idiots insist on 

5 minutes ago, magpiejue said:

It's not on that big clubs take all the money in football and that they can also come and poach players from clubs like Notts. Something needs to be done to stop the greedy bigwigs take take take.:demon:

That would mean an even distribution of money and in the main part the FA growing a pair and telling the premier league it will be regulated properly.

Players don't have to go if they don't want to irrelevant of what the premier league says.

The whole system is yet another example of the FA trying to copy another countries academy system, this model is based upon the spanish system, they tried the dutch way and did it half arsed hence why it didn't work, this time though they have to answer to their bosses at the premier league.....

I first thought that Alan Hardy may be referring to Raphael Burke, but I am more inclined to believe its actually its a player who's name escapes me now. He was forced into retirement after suffering from an injury, he later went into youth football.

I'm all for the youth department overhaul, provided it doesn't come at a cost for the first team.

It takes years to build a youngster, we have to start with what we have available to us now but we should look at the future also.

3 minutes ago, Anti-Red said:

He was forced into retirement after suffering from an injury, he later went into youth football

John Curtis?

I'm not aware of any of the 92 footballers going on to work in the youth system. You can instantly rule out the bigger names, so it might not be all that costly but the Premier League tag would mislead people into thinking that. Could this person be currently out of work? Ironically, we just announced that the keeper of the class of 92 is leaving. Pilks was apart of the legendary set of players.

--

Youth football does need some sort of priority but I agree that it shouldn't be our main focus.

If we simply aim to bring in youngsters, we will soon have them picked off us and there's no way to stop this. You can rely on the club to offer a fair price or risk a tribunal fee being settled and these are notorious known for being settled on the low side.

Hopefully we do put more work into the youth system, and I believe this is probably the reason why Mick Halsall left.

We need to have coaches at the club who know the lower leagues, yet can inspire players to give their all - John Sheridan should be able to contribute to this if he manages to remain. I'm wondering if all the departures is down to the fact JS needs his own staff and AH is heading down this route. Alternatively, he may end up replaced and for someone else to bring in his own team.

Who knows? But the youth setup sounds exciting (just ignore the Premier League/Class of 92 tag).

2 hours ago, magpiejue said:

It's not on that big clubs take all the money in football and that they can also come and poach players from clubs like Notts. Something needs to be done to stop the greedy bigwigs take take take.:demon:

Quite right, and that's the big problem with investing heavily in a youth system at our level.  If we did discover a star of the future (Jack Bearne?) the big clubs are allowed to sign them up for a fixed amount as I understand it.  It would be great if we could produce home-grown first teamers, but not if we end up producing them for other clubs.

Archived