Mark Fotheringham's thoughts on Callum McGregor and Jack Grealish

Joe Jones

Mark Fotheringham spent the 2013-14 season at Notts County and played alongside two of the brightest Magpies loanees in recent history, Callum McGregor and Jack Grealish.

He has recently done an interview published by the Birmingham Mail where he talked about both prospects, and he claimed that his countryman is a better prospect than the Villa winger.

“Jack Grealish was actually on loan at Meadow Lane at the same time and Callum outshone him and he’s been touted for England and rated at millions of pounds," he said.

“And if that’s the sort of price tag on Jack’s head then I would hate to hazard a guess what Callum would be worth. It would be at least the same anyway.

“I used to sit in the midfield with Jack and Callum at either side of me. They were two very big talents but for me Callum was always going to have the bigger future and I still believe that."

Here is the full interview: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-star-bigger-future-aston-12743251

What are your thoughts on what he's had to say?

I think he is excluding the fact that Callum is two years older than Jack, but it was Jack who was instrumental in the great escape, whilst Callum ended up being on the subs bench more times than not. 

I wouldn't argue that McGregor had the greater work ethic, but Jack has that knack of having that something to create a goal. McGregor style footballers are ten a penny, but Grealish's are pretty rare and there would always be a place for his style in most teams.

mcgregor was exciting to watch and more established.

grealish was great to watch but very raw when he was at notts, you can see how the experience helped both players and to a point both clubs have almost interfered with that. callum mcgregor needs to leave celtic imo. jack grealish can do fine at aston villa with the right manager but he needs to stop acting like a kid.

Scottish players don't have the same release or exposure as English players do, it's quite unfair - as I can remember all the hype of the former Celtic keeper than was dubbed Poland's best. You don't see that kind of tag on any Scottish player! Even their number one became dried up in the Premier League and most good Scottish footballers seem to fall into the Championship.

For this reason Jack Grealish will always have an higher chance of achieving more and he probably earns twice (if not more) than Callum McGregor.

Both are great gifted footballers, though Callum McGregor does need to think about his career. It was great to see him playing in Europe for Celtic but they seem to drop him back, rather than giving him the push he needs. At the time Jack was rumoured to be on the verge of signing for Chelsea, I said Callum should consider a move to a good Premier League team (perhaps like West Brom or Everton) somewhere he can be moulded into their creative threat.

Archived