Double Standards?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

I cant remember if I wrote it on here or not, but me and my mum made a Dorset Pies flag over the summer and we planned to give it its first outing at Sheffield United the other week. Unfortunatly, for reasons I couldnt fathom and the stewards couldnt actually give me, my flag, along with I would say about six others was confiscated.

Watching the League Cup highlights from United's game with Burton Albion I noticed that Burton fans had quite a few flags in their end. I'm currently watching a game between the English and Scottish under 21s which is taking place at Brammal Lane and there are a number of flags in both the home and away sections!

I'm really quite annoyed. I know it could look pretty daft, people could think its just a flag get over it, but when you (well me AND my mum) spent quite a bit of time working on it and took the effort to travel half the length of the country to be at the game, its pretty dissapointing and rather frustrating to see others being allowed to have flags.

I've actually sent Sheffield United FC a polite email this evening inquiring as to the reasons for the confiscation of my flag and other Notts fans' flags.

Just out of interest, has anyone else on here had this problem before?

I at first put the decision down to the prescnence of the TV cameras but nobody checked to see if the wording on my flag was of an aggresive of offensive nature. The Scottish flags there tonight where even covering the advertising boards!

Sorry, rant over. Just really quite annoyed by it to be honest

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Supposedly you need a fire safety certificate.

I don't know if those with the flags have them or if it's just a case of them sneaking 'em in, I would hope it was a case of having the unnecessary certificate. It made me laugh when one got objected and it came out you needed one, I felt like asking how's a fire going to start?

Flags don't magically spark up and people shouldn't smoke in stands. so this rules out lighters but seriously how do they think it will catch fire? Just daft really but you compile a lengthy thread about daft things in football.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

I'll be interested to hear what kind of reply(if any))you get from Bramall Lane.It does seem a bit over the top to ban flags/banners as long as they don't obstruct peoples view.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,952
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Shove it down yer trousers next time @weymouthPIE :thumbsup:

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Miserable spoilsports! :rolleyes:

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

might be worth calling the club in advance, you might not get it back in the future.

This was the email I sent to them:

To whom it may concern, 

I am at present watching the England U21 v Scotland U21 game on TV live from Brammal Lane, and I am intrigued to see several flags in both the home and away sections of the stadium.

As a Notts County fan, I travelled all the way up to Brammal Lane from Dorset for the opening match of the new football league season, and was dissapointed for my flag not to be allowed entry. 

I had to leave the flag with a steward at the turnstile and collect it after the match. Nobody even viewed my flag to see if the wording was of an offensive nature, and nobody could explain the reasoning behind this. 

I did thank the stewards for their care of the flag and I did tell them that I understood it was not their fault, just beaurocrasy. 

We discussed this with other fans whose flags had also been taken away from them, and we assumed it was due to the fact that Sky Sports aired the game live. 

So, after tonight's match and seeing the flags quite visibly and even one hiding an advertising board, can you please explain why our flags were taken from us for the Sheffield United v Notts County match?

I would very pleased to share your answer with fellow Notts County supporters, and indeed any supporters of other teams who will be travelling to Brammal Lane  this season.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

James

This is the reply I've had back:

Dear Mr Spring

Thank you for your email.

Our Safety Certificate prohibits flags being brought into the stadium unless they have a fire certificate for certain categories of fixture.   League fixtures carry a higher risk factor.

Flags and air horns were allowed in the stadium for this fixture given the nature of it and the make-up of spectators who were mainly schools based.

Regards

Steve Hicks

Head of Operations:

Not satisfied with that at all. A fire safety certificate for a flag? I've heard it all now. If I said what I wanted to say I'd be here all night and I'm not too well so not really in the mood to have a rant but thats absolutely pathetic.

This was the email I sent to them:

To whom it may concern, 

I am at present watching the England U21 v Scotland U21 game on TV live from Brammal Lane, and I am intrigued to see several flags in both the home and away sections of the stadium.

As a Notts County fan, I travelled all the way up to Brammal Lane from Dorset for the opening match of the new football league season, and was dissapointed for my flag not to be allowed entry. 

I had to leave the flag with a steward at the turnstile and collect it after the match. Nobody even viewed my flag to see if the wording was of an offensive nature, and nobody could explain the reasoning behind this. 

I did thank the stewards for their care of the flag and I did tell them that I understood it was not their fault, just beaurocrasy. 

We discussed this with other fans whose flags had also been taken away from them, and we assumed it was due to the fact that Sky Sports aired the game live. 

So, after tonight's match and seeing the flags quite visibly and even one hiding an advertising board, can you please explain why our flags were taken from us for the Sheffield United v Notts County match?

I would very pleased to share your answer with fellow Notts County supporters, and indeed any supporters of other teams who will be travelling to Brammal Lane  this season.

I look forward to hearing back from you,

James

This is the reply I've had back:

Dear Mr Spring

Thank you for your email.

Our Safety Certificate prohibits flags being brought into the stadium unless they have a fire certificate for certain categories of fixture.   League fixtures carry a higher risk factor.

Flags and air horns were allowed in the stadium for this fixture given the nature of it and the make-up of spectators who were mainly schools based.

Regards

Steve Hicks
Head of Operations:

Not satisfied with that at all. A fire safety certificate for a flag? I've heard it all now. If I said what I wanted to say I'd be here all night and I'm not too well so not really in the mood to have a rant but thats absolutely pathetic.

I'm not a "I told you so" sort of person but yeah, erm... I told you so mate :)

I didn't think you thought I were being serious but I was. Josh was told he couldn't take his in, the one given by @Italian Magpies

Absolute B*ll**ks.Please excuse my reaction.So all the flags on display at the England  U21 game had a fire certificate?I don't think so and those bl**dy annoying air horns are allowed..Elf 'n' safety gone mad..As I said previously ,as long as the flags do not obscure spectators views,what is the problem.Again,as Joe means,flags do not spontaniously combust and smoking is not allowed inside stadiums.Aargh,,I just feel really annoyed at some of the things that are allowed to happen at a match when innocent,fun,things are treated ridiculously.Rant over.(Goes to join Tony with a cup of cocoa)

Absolute B*ll**ks.Please excuse my reaction.So all the flags on display at the England  U21 game had a fire certificate?I don't think so and those bl**dy annoying air horns are allowed..Elf 'n' safety gone mad..As I said previously ,as long as the flags do not obscure spectators views,what is the problem.Again,as Joe means,flags do not spontaniously combust and smoking is not allowed inside stadiums.Aargh,,I just feel really annoyed at some of the things that are allowed to happen at a match when innocent,fun,things are treated ridiculously.Rant over.(Goes to join Tony with a cup of cocoa)

Thanks for saying everything I was thinking mate :thumbsup:

Let me just clarify one further thing.

(Goes to join Tony with a cup of cocoa)

Cup of cocoa is actually his hard coded word for Beer. So, basically he's off to the late night pub! I.E my parents kitchen. :D

Joe,have you ever known me drink cocoa?Yes ,I would prefer a decent pint and a chat with Tony any day.

Supporter+

Joe,have you ever known me drink cocoa?Yes ,I would prefer a decent pint and a chat with Tony any day.

We'll have to arrange a meet up at a decent pub mate.

Yes,Tony,get him out of my way for a while. :biggrin:

I'd love to meet up sometime,Tony.We could put the world to right,sort out everyone's problems and have a good laugh at each other.After out hols perhaps. :thumbsup:

Supporter+

Yeah that'd be good, we'll sort something out then. :thumbsup:

super_ram  I'd love to meet up sometime,Tony.We could put the world to right,sort out everyone's problems and have a good laugh at each other.After out hols perhaps. :thumbsup:

More likely you'll be discussing beer, football,me and Mrs.Hateley..Whatever you both do,don't mention the prediction league. :rolleyes:

If the prediction league is brought up it'll be a like a scene of of an old western - one of them will go flying through the door or window into the street :rolleyes:

Supporter+

If @super_ram is above me in the league it will definitely be a taboo subject, if I'm in the lead however....,,.,,.

So it WILL be taboo then Tony :rollonfloorlaughing:

Supporter+

So it WILL be taboo then Tony :rollonfloorlaughing:

No we'll be talking about it all night. :biggrin: