Portsmouth targeting Wootton in January

Piethagoram

Part of me wonders just how many teams would be interested in our players, if they expected to pay a fee instead of getting them on a free? This said, enough interest from teams in the same league, it could make a club put in an offer - it might be lower but its something.

Notts needs to sort Kyle Wootton's contract.

Alongside Ruben Rodrigues and Matty Palmer. 

I feel some players are going to be lost on a free transfer, their price being what they achieved or contributed during their times. It would be nice to maximise the amount of money brought back into the club with selling assets which could be reinvested into the playing squad.

I am hoping Kyle Wootton isn't one of those who leaves for a free, it would be nice to get something a bit more than just his goals from helping him.

i dont think any talks are happening right now, i fully believe that ian burchnall will leave it until after christmas.

then again notts are the type of club to announce extensions on christmas.

i dont think we can replace kyle wootton, we will most likely need to adapt to a different type of striker.

I very much doubt a bid would come in for him much above 50K with the knowledge that he is out of contract in the summer. I'd prefer to keep him for this season and let him go in the summer as he offers more value to the team than the money we'd receive. We won't get promoted without him, he is too important a cog and we would not find a replacement of the same calibre for the money.

@Fozzy It's that situation we often find ourselves in with better players, I hope down the line we sort our contracts at the start of a season - instead of leaving it off. Obviously, the club might've spoken with Kyle Wootton before, but it's our job to sell the club to a player.

Sometimes agreeing a reasonable release clause is enough to convince a player who aspires to play higher up to remain at the club.

At least until a club comes knocking and, I do agree he's worth more with us but at the same time there's a lot we could do even with a smaller than hoped for transfer fee. Free players are a pool that makes it difficult to unearth potential gems. It's not impossible, however, it's easier to look out clubs wanting to sell a player.

We consistently mark ourselves out of this and, it's an area that Notts suffers.

I will make the prediction now, Wootton will sign a new two-year-deal.

Notts will be 3rd in the National League table when this happens, we will retain him for another season if promoted to League Two. Otherwise he will end up joining a Championship team, not Portsmouth [maybe Peterborough]. If we don't gain promotion, he will leave on a transfer fee which will be undisclosed.

Archived