Who is the Standout Player for Notts in the 2022-23 National League Season?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

As the 2022-23 National League season nears its end, I am interested in hearing the thoughts of PON members on which player they believe has stood out and been the most consistent throughout the season.

It's important to consider the impact that the player has had on the team as a whole. A standout player who consistently performs at an exceptional level can inspire and motivate their teammates, leading to an overall improvement in team performance. In the same way, a strong player on their team can help their team keep up a steady level of play. They can also help their team when they are not playing well.

Who would you choose and why?

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I believe that the current squad from last season has been consistently performing, which has set a standard for the new signings to match. This has improved the club as a whole, and there are numerous options for addressing this topic.

Ruben Rodrigues, despite occasional inconsistency, exhibits moments of brilliance even on his off days. I want to highlight that Rodrigues has emerged as a leader and a player who strives to win games this season. Despite my earlier comments, I do not consider him far behind anyone else and have observed him play exceptionally at times.

Under Luke Williams, Adam Chicksen has demonstrated a remarkable improvement. He has been highly consistent with his assists and goals.

Macaulay Langstaff is one of the most consistent players on the team, and without his goals, Notts would not be in the running for the title. Despite losing a player like Kyle Wootton, Langstaff has worked tremendously hard and contributed even during games where he may appear quieter. He has been a delight to watch, scoring with the slightest touch or executing a shoulder drop, a touch, and a shot past the opposing goalkeeper. His boots seem like the holy grail when it comes to scoring, as the ball always finds the back of the net.

For me, the standout player has been Matt Palmer. He is in a class of his own, composed, influential, and eager to advance the ball forward. Palmer rarely makes mistakes, and having a midfielder who can deliver the ball to useful areas is a significant advantage when aiming for promotion. My only criticism would be that he should work on his finishing skills a bit more to round out his game. However, I understand that he has focused on honing his strengths.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

langstaff for me has been the biggest standout player, its been years since we have had someone so naturally gifted on goal. a player that has consistently scored whilst earning praise from the leagues above. he has a lot more potential about him, but i think his influence on the pitch and on goal is something worthy of noting.

we are lucky to have a whole squad of very good players, all of which have done well during this season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,904
  • Days Won:  17

I suppose we have to say Langstaff because of the goals he's scored, but also Matty Palmer has been outstanding and Ruben seems to be director of operations too.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

Are you talking ours or the leagues?

Ours is definitely Palmer, he is the engine room and his standards haven't slipped. Langstaff and Ruben have been matchwinners, but Palmer is the same every single week.

Although I hate to say it, I personally think the standout player in the league has been Mullin. He has single-handedly found points for Wrexham at times when they desperately need a goal, by fair means or foul. Without him in their side I think we would have been out of sight of all teams in the division by now.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Langstaff and Palmer have been reliable players for Notts. One works hard and gets things done without drawing attention, while the other seizes opportunities and has received praise for his efforts. Personally, I think it's a toss-up between the two of them.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I agree with everyone else about Palmer but I also think Kyle Cameron is worthy of a vote here, the captain after all sets the standards and I don’t think he’s had a particularly bad game either. Being the only left-footed CB we have he’s been a crucial part of how we play and often takes it upon himself to drive the team forward bringing the ball out of defence. Yes he’s been caught out a few times, but on the whole he’s been pretty stellar for us this season.

In terms of sheer technical ability and standing out in that way it’s Ruben for me, just some of the passes and general play is levels above this league.

• Like 1

• TheSkipper changed the title to Who is the Standout Player for Notts in the 2022-23 National League Season?

• Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

On 07/03/2023 at 15:33, Fozzy said:

Are you talking ours or the leagues?

Sorry, I have amended the title to reflect on Notts.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

4 hours ago, TheSkipper said:

Sorry, I have amended the title to reflect on Notts.

Now I feel dirty for praising a Wrexham player for nothing……🤣

• Haha 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I wouldn't say Langstaff has been bad in games, but I do recall ones where he was quiet and due to the delivery of service he had or because the opposition man marking him.I can't give it to him solely because he scores goals either.

Matt Palmer has been a breath of fresh air in midfield, he rarely has an off day.

He just gets stuck in, does all the quiet stuff but leads the middle well. His passing isn't restricted to just sideways or backwards; he will get it forward, he will spot a run and time the right pass. Our fans liked to say Michael Doyle never gave the ball away, when he lost it more than he retained it, Palmer is the opposite, it's glued to his feet. For me, he's by far the most consistent player in this Notts squad.