Notts County's Strategy: Building depth through selective player recruitment

CliftonMagpie

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,726
  • Days Won:  27

I am delighted to see the club continuing their approach to player recruitment. In the past, we have relied heavily on free agents or high-profile signings, which can be hit or miss. However, by targeting players that other clubs want or want to keep, we are building a team with depth that can compete at a higher level.

This seasons signing of Sam Austin is a perfect example of this new strategy in action. He was highly sought after by other clubs, but we were able to secure his signature. And he's not the only one. John Bostock and Aden Baldwin are other signings this season who fit this pattern.

One of the biggest advantages of targeting players that other clubs want or want to keep is that they are motivated and hungry to succeed. They are proven performers who are already at a high level, and they want to continue to grow and improve. This can only be good news for us as fans.

It's also reassuring to see the club not relying solely on free agents or marquee signings. While these can sometimes pay off, they can also be risky and may not fit in with the team's playing style. By building a squad with depth, we reduce the risk of this happening.

Naturally, it remains to be seen whether this novel approach will yield results in the long term. However, at present, I am optimistic about Notts County's future. Last season, we came very close to being promoted, so bolstering the squad's depth has been crucial for me this season. The recruitment has been excellent and has allowed the club to contend for the title, taking us a step closer to achieving promotion back to the Football League. Come on you Pies!

Some questions to consider:

Why is it advantageous to target players that other clubs want or want to keep? What are some of the risks associated with relying solely on free agents or high-profile signings? How has the club's recruitment strategy impacted their ability to compete for the title and achieve promotion to the Football League?

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Macaulay Langstaff, Cedwyn Scott, Sam Austin and John Bostock have all been excellent signings for Notts County, following the pattern of recruiting strong. Gateshead wouldn’t want to lose Langstaff and Scott, so that was a master-stroke by Notts. Sam Austin was the captain of his previous club and was settled there, but he has made the move up superbly. John Bostock is better than this level and is a massive coup for the club. He’s also a really nice guy! Even the loan signings have been a lot better than previous methods. Jodi Jones being settled here with his contract expiring would be an awesome addition. All in all, great work by Notts County!

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

There's nothing wrong with signing players for free; the issue arises when you purchase the wrong players or randomly select them based on their previous club affiliations. In the past, we used to acquire players from various teams - some were good, some okay, but most were average or poor. I believe that building a team around sensible fees is better because these tend to attract proven players with a track record or upcoming talent, unlike spending £300k on a striker just because the chairman fancies them.

The team that relegated Notts to the National League wasn't bad on paper, but we recruited the wrong free agents. Ross Fitzsimons and the defenders in front of him took us down, but if we had a better goalkeeper, we might have had a better chance. Currently, we are signing the best players and captains from other clubs, and it seems to be working. The most significant advantage is that we're able to sign players who can mentor the upcoming talent. I honestly believe that we'll be able to produce better players by leveraging other clubs' talent, but it requires a lot of research during recruitment. A good manager can also make a significant difference.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It's crucial for lower league clubs to have a strong recruitment strategy. By carefully considering their options and avoiding rushed signings, clubs like Notts County can maximise their playing budget and potentially generate future sales for reinvestment into the squad. Investing in good players not only improves the team's performance but can also lead to a higher resale value when those players are embedded in a positive environment. Notts County's approach to recruitment is commendable and serves as an example for other clubs to follow.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

i think we are getting better at recruiting players each season, i think one aspect fans tends to forget is the amazing data notts has behind them with the company that the reedtz owns. that resource is invaluable to the club and must make tracking players who can form a short list of potential signings much easier. as i said, this year having side from clubs around us and teams that did well against us, its the way that the club must continue to adapt to doing.

now the squad has a lot of established heads, we can build on that spine and in principle i think it should make signing players easier to fit in.

morale and confidence is everything, so being willing to pay a fee for the right player must make them want to repay the club for taking that faith. i hope as we grow, we continue to sign the better players around us and form a solid squad based on players who have the ability to motivate themselves. rather than players who join, get released and follow that circle. not all will be bad but we have spent far too long bringing in the wrong types of players.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I've said this many times in the past, before Alan Hardy bought the club. Recruitment is always better when you stick to one method, but it can't be rush the process or skimp out. The issue that we've struggled with for decades is selling players and, not replacing them wisely.

Kyle Wootton departed, we signed Macaulay Langstaff. Cal Roberts was sold, most likely the club knew this before and I feel Sam Austin was signed to give depth. Whilst Aaron Nemane was allowed to step up.

When you recruit players others want or, that the club they're with want to keep - 9/10 they're self driven players who are settled and on a natural upward progression. Provided you don't over pay, (which is something Notts seems to be good at avoiding right now - it may not be the case once we start selling players on for a good return) there's a much lower risk. I think Joel Taylor is the only signing we've wasted a fee on, but that isn't a bad thing as such and it isn't predictable.

Naturally, as our data of players improves and we get used to spotting dealing - things should continue to improve each and every season.

There's no exact science to knowing how players would do at a club, but a good environment and a club all pushing in the same direction does help.

I hope we continue to spend modest fees on the right players, it may become harder as and when the club rises up the league. This is natural and again, it's where a potential risk comes into it. Yet for now, there's no reason why our recruitment wouldn't work.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,291
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Started an Excel document on possible players to target depending on the league. Tried to make it as realistic as possible. I haven't updated this for a while, so I would add some players and remove some if I ever go back into it. Kind of like a recruitment plan of sorts.

Player Transfers image.PNG

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 24/04/2023 at 21:50, Piethagoram said:

@Chris Think both Taylor and Mitchell , both had fees circa 20k? open to correction

I totally forgot about Kairo Mitchell, I know Joel Taylor reportedly joined us for around that, but I am unsure about Mitchell.