Notts County Vs Sheffield United

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We're now 3 games into PoN's view of our upcoming games. It's also the game I selected as the key one, although all games are as important - I don't think we will have many bigger than this one.

Timing wise, it's pretty ideal. Sheffield United are only four points ahead of us but with a game in hand. None the less it's the ideal with the home advantage and our recent form. We need to get something out of this game, a draw would be great but a win! We will require a top performance.

Sheffield United have drawn 3 of their last six games - losing 1 and winning 2. They're a side which are quite flat but rather direct, although they're a dangerous side, they struggle to get their grips on games - under-performing like us. Nigel Clough's installed some optimism after defeating Aston Villa 2-1 in the F.A Cup. Sheffield United are also better prepared under Nigel Clough and have been the most threatening since he took over.

It's hard to judge who will play left back if Morgan Fox's loan spell as ended - We might be tinkering around with our selection, although this hasn't stopped us from overcoming obstacles. Enoch if selected will prove to be an asset in this game, as he shouldn't easily be out muscled like lightweight options might. I hope McGregor turns out to have re-signed in time, he will be a big miss but this said I think we can surprise everyone with this game!

2-1 Notts - 6,780 overall attendance.

Thoughts?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

I have a good feeling about the game ahead!

If we can a result here, then there is fixtures coming up which will only become easier with confidence. Its not a case of writing off United, its about being wiser and smarter. Our lads need to be up for this, we should look at what Nigel's achieved and think to ourselves we can do this!

Enoch up front? Not on his own for me.

I would start Haynes or that youngster Murray, we need fast feet because they struggle. I can see a win on the cards but score wise is anyones guess.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Enoch on his own if Grealish and McGregor can both play is OK.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

This is a game we need to get at least a point from.A win would be a great morale booster for both the players and the fans.Anyway the Blades are due to lose. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Hopefully the re-loaning issues will be resolved and maybe,just maybe,other loanees/signings will be available for this match.A defeat will be a huge setback,a draw would be acceptable but a win would be a massive boost to everyone connected with Notts.I agree with Granny -NC is due to lose. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

im not overly confident really, i mean they usually come here and destroy us. i cant remember if i have ever seen us beat sheffield united, i doubt it but you never know.

if mcgregor does not resign, will we revert back to 442?

enoch up front, he can finish them off this time.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

Fingers crossed we have the announcements of our loanees resigning and get a good win against the Blades (I'm going with a 2-1 win also) this Saturday.

It'll be tough not doubt, but with players who are enjoying their football and willing to put a shift in for their gaffer/team mates, who knows what will happen.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I too am hoping our two wonder kids will be resigned until the end of the season before this match and go on to celebrate the fact on the pitch by spurring us to a great win.

However (back in the real world) young Mr. Clough has slowly but surely guiding Sheff Utd away from the bottom of the table and they must be confident of getting a result.

My prediction 1-1 another goal from Campbell-Ryce.

• Content Count:  486

I'd be worried that Maguire will eat Enoch for breakfast. That would be a mis-match IMO.

I wouldn't waste any time with Haynes or Enoch tbh - both are absolutely hopeless. A bit of pace and mobility will be far more effective than trying to out muscle them at the back.

Do we still not know the score with Grealish and McGregor?

I'd be worried that Maguire will eat Enoch for breakfast. That would be a mis-match IMO.

I wouldn't waste any time with Haynes or Enoch tbh - both are absolutely hopeless. A bit of pace and mobility will be far more effective than trying to out muscle them at the back.

Do we still not know the score with Grealish and McGregor?

Grealish is a done deal, McGregor they're sorting the terms supposedly and he's still here training with us.

Have there been any whispers of other player coming in?Several players have departed so I would imagine this frees up funds for replacements.

• Content Count:  486

This is a real watershed game - if we can retain the 2 young loanees then we are in with a chance.

Playing Showaddywaddy or Haynes would, seriously, impede that chance. Enoch won't win a ball against Maguire and Haynes just won't win a ball, full stop. This game is crying out for Callum Ball, who can hold the ball, lay it off, put defenders under pressure & work his nuts off, but that is looking unlikely.

A draw would be a good result, anything better - a real bonus. They are area, in some form, confident and with a few quality players. If we defend resolutely and have a go at them I can sniff a 2 - 1 win, a 2 - 2 draw is a stronger possibility IMO.

Today could be the day things really get moving.There's still plenty of time left in the transfer window but the sooner issues are sorted out the better.It's a matter of urgency for SD but a lot of decisions are out of his hands.

Well if the rumours about chasing David Goodwillie are true, it would be one positive sign if we could sign him and perhaps someone to partner Enoch or Haynes. I still feel very confident about the game, I hope we avoid turning it into a scrappy occasion. We just need to start the game calmly and positively, if they come at us fast or dangerously we need to make sure we leave no room free and stop any lurkers.

• Content Count:  18,309
  • Days Won:  28

I'm not really sure what result we will get out of this game, i guess we'll have to wait and see. I hope its not too cold for everyone at the game tomorrow.

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Well we'll not have McGregor thats for sure, and its looking increasingly likely that the paperwork for Grealish wont be done.

IF he is available play 4-4-2 - time for Haynes to deliver and Fox with him up too (think its Fox, lost track of half our loanees).

Currently in our hotl looking forward to tommorows game. I'd be lying if I said I wasen't VERY apprehensive though. I really hope we don't have to make that long drive home tommorow on the back of a defeat..

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Well we'll not have McGregor thats for sure, and its looking increasingly likely that the paperwork for Grealish wont be done.

IF he is available play 4-4-2 - time for Haynes to deliver and Fox with him up too (think its Fox, lost track of half our loanees).

Currently in our hotl looking forward to tommorows game. I'd be lying if I said I wasen't VERY apprehensive though. I really hope we don't have to make that long drive home tommorow on the back of a defeat..

Fox was the left back. I think you meant Ball? The big strong CF? Hold on...

what's wrong with Enoch B)  B)  B)

I think Enoch and Haynes will start the game and will hopefully give us a good lead. Bring Ball on 3/4 of game to use the energy along with Murray.

If Grealish doesn't start due to no agreement, then I think I would give Tempest the role and keep switching JCR and him over regularly to keep the fullbacks on their toes.

Weakest link is still Fotheringham by a mile.

I'm preparing to go now, I'll try and check the chat room (I like popping in during games) and hopefully I will be able to add my opinion here. I think the games going to be tough but if Grealish is available, at least we have Freeman who should slot back in without to much worry. He'll bring good cover at the back, so this is reassuring! It would be interesting to see dumbuya play in a midfield role - Him and JCR running at defences, switching play to Grealish etc

It could be very dangerous.

I'm still optimistic - 2 Notts 1 Sheff Utd COYP!!

Anyone else going/been?

Unfortunately I'm restricted to home today. Stuck with uncle Colin. I might try the chatroom though if Colin loses the plot. 

• Content Count:  2,743

Notts need to win and Super needs cheering up,though he expected to lose last night. :thumbsup:

Bart

Freeman, Smith, Leacock, Sheenan

JCR, Fothers, Boucs, GREALISH!

Murray

Enoch

1-1

Their goal was so easy, simple movement and a well taken goal. It's interesting how the games opened up since we scored.

Oh Enoch! Enoch! COYP

2-1!!!!

And it's all gone quiet over there! And it's all gone quiet, all gone quiet, all gone quiet over there.

Good game!

Archived