Where are they now : Paddy McCourt....

Piethagoram

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

I remember about having read this story and it sounding like there wasn't much to the claims against Paddy McCourt, I haven't kept up with the story but express that if he did it, he's let many people down and deserves to jailed.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I remember seeing Paddy McCourt defence explain his side of things.

It's important to remember that there's always a possibility of false allegations. Victims may inadvertently identify the wrong perpetrator, or a supposed victim may be lying to mislead others. Therefore, we must approach any accusations with an open mind and gather all the facts before making judgments or taking action. It's vital to ensure that we're not condemning innocent people and causing unjust harm. Such as Chad Evans - whilst involved teammates avoided any repercussions.

I'm unsure how DNA would help, as "Giving evidence, the alleged victim told the hearing that she was touched inappropriately while standing at a bar in Derry city centre." doesn't sound like a scenario where it would be all that helpful.

Whilst the claims itself are sexual in nature, it thankfully wasn't the R word. Not that being touched indecently isn't a serious problem, but it's not at that level.

I do feel Paddy McCourt could be innocent, as I see no reason why he would touch a female in such a manner. The CCTV doesn't sound as impactful as the articles lead you to believe, as angels can be misleading. However, IF Paddy McCourt did touch the person in question then he should and quite rightly face the appropriate actions. The punishment isn't for me, or anyone but the judge./jury to decide.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

the bbc article does not give much, its more a cut and dry take on the situation, footballers are easy targets. male/female victims of sexual assault deserve their cases being taken seriously. i have this feeling just by reading the article that there is more to the story. i obviously dont know what the judge knows or has seen in terms of evidence but it seems one persons account and the cctv.

After a two-day hearing at Londonderry Magistrates' Court, during which the victim and McCourt both gave evidence, the judge dismissed the defence's claims that the police investigation had been flawed because they did not arrest and take DNA samples from another man in the bar that night.

The judge said that the actions of the other man in the case "were not consistent" with him having committed the offence.

He added that "it follows it can't be anyone other than the defendant" who carried out the assault.

this just does not sound right to me.

either it was paddy or the person paddy believes it to be, they have cctv and that is the only real piece of evidence it seems. i dont get the dna comment, but if an avenue has not been explored properly i do wonder if there is going to be a huge mistake.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  911
  • Days Won:  2

I’m torn about Paddy’s situation. On one hand, I hope he’s innocent, but on the other hand, if he did what he’s accused of, I feel disgusted. Footballers need to have a life outside of football, but they also need to be careful. If he’s guilty, shame on him. If he’s innocent, I hope he can clear his name. I also hope the victim can move on with her life.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

If guilty, he should be ashamed of it and admit that he did it. I think the chances are quite high that he may have done it, mainly as I see no point why he would not.

• 7 months later...

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,988
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram