Match Discussion: Game 8 - The Ammies (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

Aidan Stone deserved the clean sheet, and I'm pleased he has achieved it. The team's performance was commendable, as we maintained control of the game in both halves. Macaulay Langstaff displayed great effort, although he could have possibly scored another goal. Although their goalkeeper made some impressive saves, it wasn't sufficient to change the outcome. Our team is showing great promise and performing exceptionally well.

• Like 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A well deserved 3 points. The Pies dominated the first half. Salford were looking dangerous before Crowley's goal. The Pies took control after that. The 2 red cards at the end were harsh IMO. The referee didn't have a good game. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Only positive about Salford’s attempt to get some City and United fans down there (they probably won’t rush back after that) by changing it to Friday was being able to stream it.

Thought 2-0 flattered them, they couldn’t complain if they’d lost that 4-0. Macca could and should be on double his goal tally already this season, but the fact he’s in those positions all the time means he’ll score a good amount this season.

Press was excellent, probably aided by it not being 30°C, we never gave them time on the ball to build out from the back.

Crowley was probably my man of the match, absolute quality touch and finish for his goal. I was also very impressed with Austin in the wing-back role (can we even call them wing-backs anymore, wide-midfielders now as they are so high up the pitch!) looked like a natural and he’s an excellent crosser. And I agree with @JohnTheBost about Stone, although he didn't have to make that many saves his ability to play out from the back is a step up from Slocombe, I've been pleasantly surprised by him as when he signed I was a bit unsure about his ability.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 7

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Notts played in a very organised manner and improved as the game progressed. Salford attempted to make it difficult by defending bravely, but it seemed inevitable that we would score. They had some decent chances, but nothing extraordinary. Notts also had opportunities through Langstaff, Jones, Chicksen and others. Aidan Stone put in a very solid performance.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

Salford City appeared quite deficient early on, which explains why they hadn’t secured a victory at their home ground. Their pitch is not only soulless but also small, which doesn’t seem to work to their advantage. Notts circulated the ball quite well, although there were moments when I wished they had continued moving sideways instead of retreating all the way back to Aidan Stone. Some of his distribution resulted in the ball being instantly returned, which was another source of frustration. However, the match was largely enjoyable. When Notts were in possession, they seemed vibrant and some of the early exchanges appeared to be inspired by training ground manoeuvres. I’m not criticising the performance; I simply believe we don’t always need to aim long goal kicks at one player or pass the ball all the way back to the goalkeeper. Clearly, it worked as evidenced by a solid 2-0 victory. We just need to maintain this momentum.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

@Piethagoram i was standing near to where i can tell your picture was taken, i did not see @Chris but i noticed @ARLukomski a few times.

about half way into the game, i wished i could have sat down. it was a nice experience to stand but i am not sure i can do it again on the same day as i work. thought our fans were great, even the chants to the former united players made me laugh.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  735
  • Days Won:  3

The exceptional result of the match was a testament to Nottingham’s vibrant performance, which was palpable through the radio coverage. Our supporters’ enthusiasm was clearly audible, adding to the excitement. The significance of this victory and the clean sheet cannot be understated, boosting our team’s morale despite Gillingham reclaiming the top spot.

Reflecting on the previous season, the thrilling rivalry with Wrexham added an extra layer of anticipation to each match. As we look forward to the new season, we hope to replicate this intense competition with Gillingham, promising another season of nail-biting matches and unforgettable football moments.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  0

This is the approach I would suggest Notts adopt for the majority of their away games, albeit with a slightly less conservative style while still maintaining control of the ball. In midfield, we possess the capability to retain possession and cause frustration for the opposing team. I was thoroughly impressed with Notts' performance, as they showcased some delightful passing sequences throughout the match.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

Notts began the match with a strong attacking approach, displaying an impressive performance right from the start. Each player executed their role excellently, contributing to the team's overall success. It was particularly satisfying to witness our players emerge victorious in their individual battles, even in the face of Salford's height advantage. Had some of the early passing moves been successfully executed, I believe Salford could have been systematically dismantled and left thoroughly embarrassed.

• Like 1

• Chris unfeatured this topic