Match Discussion: Game 17 - The Railwaymen (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,337
  • Days Won:  81

Game 17 - The Railwaymen (A)

Team: Crewe Alexandra

Date: 11/11/2023

Where: Gresty Road

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  388
  • Days Won:  0

We’re aware that Crewe has the potential to excel and even pose a challenge. It will be intriguing to see how Notts approaches the match. It’s likely that Luke Williams won’t deviate much from previous league games, although I anticipate Dan Gosling will start in this game. The absence of Matt Palmer will be a setback, but this signing significantly fills the void for the time being. A strong performance and result could be a game-changer.

• Like 5

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,343
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Tough game really, they're in slightly better form currently, and @super_ram knows that they can be a tricky team with the Rams finding this out in the first round of the FA Cup.

I can see it being quite stale, similar to the Lincoln City game previously.

It might be a fair bit more entertaining, but I do think it could end goalless or even narrow such as 1-1. If they play well on the day I can certainly see this being the case. They have a good team, capable of attacking and are decent at the back. I think we are blessed with structure and quality, by they persist in a way that you can't deny they have a different type of quality throughout their XI.

My concern is the defence, if we don't stand up to them or remain focused - they'll probably have the easier time.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,908
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I agree @Chris I think this will be a really tough game, both teams like to play football on the floor so that will certainly suit Notts, however I hope I’m wrong but I think this might be a win for Crewe, they have home advantage and we have a weakened squad at the moment.

You can all have a good laugh at my expense when we win. :wink:

• Like 3

• Content Count:  700
  • Days Won:  0

Notts must strive for the points, with performances needing to return to a consistent level. A victory over Crewe could serve as a catalyst for rejuvenation. I don't underestimate Crewe, as they should adopt the same approach. Neither our team nor theirs should settle for a draw.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,163
  • Days Won:  3

I concur, Crewe might pose a challenge, but I believe we can perform well enough to gain something from the match. A draw might not be the ideal outcome, but it would be more acceptable if we can avoid a loss. Hopefully, Notts will attack in a manner that allows us to focus less on defence, as I believe errors will persist until we recruit another centre back.

• Like 2

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,392
  • Days Won:  69

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Tough game really, they're in slightly better form currently, and @super_ram knows that they can be a tricky team with the Rams finding this out in the first round of the FA Cup.

I can see it being quite stale, similar to the Lincoln City game previously.

It might be a fair bit more entertaining, but I do think it could end goalless or even narrow such as 1-1. If they play well on the day I can certainly see this being the case. They have a good team, capable of attacking and are decent at the back. I think we are blessed with structure and quality, by they persist in a way that you can't deny they have a different type of quality throughout their XI.

My concern is the defence, if we don't stand up to them or remain focused - they'll probably have the easier time.

No excuse but my team should have been out of sight before half time but couldn't breakdown an eleven man defense.On another day it could have been a massacre but it doesn't matter how much possession  or how many shots you have if you don't actually score. Crewe didn't have many attacks ,never mind shots,but still managed to score twice, leaving Derby 2- 0 down in the last minute of normal time.I think this shows that Crewe can frustrate a team  but are also vulnerable to sustained pressure.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

this will be my first time at their ground, i am hoping the weather is not too bad and that the parking is not a nightmare.

i think we should be up for the game, stockport managed to beat them but they do make things hard. they can also dismantle teams and play off par. it all depends which of their team turns up. likewise, we need to be at our best. i dont think the game is going to feel comfortable to watch, i just have this feeling like they will be the first to score and we have to dig deep in order to make something of it. if we dont give macaulay langstaff the ball, not just in scoring positions but before that, then we are not giving him the chance to get involved which i think does lift confidence.

Supporter+

Team news

• Love 1

• Content Count:  13,052
  • Days Won:  162

its going to end a draw unless notts works out how to get behind crewe, aaron nemane had a touch of class and almost got on the score sheet. crewe are looking the better of the two, we need to pass the ball better at times.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,476
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A bizarre end to the game. The referee pulls a hamstring and is replaced. His replacement gives Crewe a penalty for handball and they win 1-0. Notts were always going to go through a bad patch and the injuries aren't helping so no need to panic. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,963
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Re @Dripsey3 "The referee pulls a hamstring"... just when Macca could have a through run on goal

Penalty harsh as the ball is hit at Jodi...but Slocombe really at fault.... and he never saves penalties

• Like 1

Supporter+

Listening to the radio it sounded like we were unlucky to lose this match, I wonder if there will be any repercussions because of the incident with the linesman being hit by something thrown from the Notts fans. There is no place for that no matter what the circumstances and whoever did it should be ashamed.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,502
  • Days Won:  15

@Piethagoram Don’t take it personally, but nobody can hold anyone responsible for it. It wasn’t Sam Slocombe’s fault that Crewe discovered that looping balls would put them behind our defenders. If there is any blame to be assigned, it falls on our defenders for not managing the threat. I don’t fault Jodi Jones, but you can’t leap like that in the modern game. To point fingers at Slocombe merely seems like comments making him a scapegoat.

• Like 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,963
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

No problem @allardyces tash. I am a long standing advocate on this board that our defence is no where near good enough, having been promoted with the 2nd worst defence in the NL last season, based on the 30% of the time we didn't have the ball.

Aside from our defence, both our main keepers are making too many mistakes. I am a strong supporter that Tiernan Brooks gets his chance now

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,502
  • Days Won:  15

@Piethagoram I believe many fans would concur with you about Tiernan Brooks. It would be fantastic to see him as our first choice, but I think he’s still a bit off from that. Perhaps once Sam Slocombe retires or moves on, he’ll be in a better position to compete with Aiden Stone. However, it seems like he’s being groomed for a long-term role.