Should Colin Hang Up His Mike?

should Colin Slater retire this year?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. should Uncle Colin hang up his mike this year?

• Yes. Retire gracefully with all our thanks for the many years service
    • No. The memory lapses add to the commentary!
    • Swap seats with Deano and become a colour commentator

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Comes up often on MAD and was just interested to hear a few more reasoned views on here.

Lets keep it clean and friendly as I know we will as Colin is a legend whether you feel it is time to retire or not. That's what persuaded me to move from MAD in the first place....all the lack of respect for peers, players and others involved with the club!

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

I feel like I'm in a minority of folks who love the guy. He does make mistakes during commentary but then who dosent? It is a difficult job, they have to cram a lot in often very quickly. I like the way he keeps you on the edge of your seat usually, it does make you feel like your there. I've listened to other clubs commentary in the past and plenty of others dont really sound interested or sound like they want to be there. Colin loves the club, he's part of the furniture and is the voice of Notts. It'll be a sad day when he does retire in my opinion

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

When I first began listening to Colin Slater commentating(Rams matches obviously come first for me)I found him a bit irritating.Over the years I've grown to enjoy his unique way of putting his view across.Yes, sometimes mistakes are made but he does 'tell it how it is' and he is obviously very passionate about Notts

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's not for me to decide, however I think he should continue whilst he's happy.

I like him, he does a lot for us and I think it would be a shame for him to be forced out. That's why I feel it's down to him, I can imagine hes grateful to do it and enjoys it. Hopefully he can train his replacement and avoid being driven out!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I & most people haven't heard anything other than colin commentating on notts. I've been listening for 30 years.

I hope he really does carry on until it is no longer possible to commentate (how many times has he been sick for an extended period of time?)

The kop is just waiting to be named ;)

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

It wouldn't be the same without Colin. Whoever succeeds him has a tough act to follow.

Well so far the replies are all positive. This in my opinion is the right response. He is a legend, always will be. The longer he continues the better for us fans that cant get to away games or those that cant get to home matches.

He is so colourful it keeps the match alive, even if on the occasions when the players dont!

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Well so far the replies are all positive. This in my opinion is the right response. He is a legend, always will be. The longer he continues the better for us fans that cant get to away games or those that cant get to home matches.

He is so colourful it keeps the match alive, even if on the occasions when the players dont!

Totally agree

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

My analogy would be comparing vinyl to CDs. Technically CDs are better (i.e. there may be better commentators out there), but there is a certain something that you can't put your finger on that makes vinyl worth listening to.

Let's face it whoever takes over when Colin Slater does retire will bring flaws of their own. Nobodies perfect, not even those jokers who cover Forest. I honestly cannot stand them, especially Robin. They are soooooo biased towards Forest it's unbelievable.

I'd quite like Dean Yates to take over, whilst John Thompson could take over Yates former role.

Although I sometimes don't quite catch John, he brings 'honesty' into the mix and will call things like a good pundit/commentator. I would hate us to get someone like David Jackson who only knows one tone!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

would we ask other club legends to step down during their roles? i dont think so.

colin slater just gets a bad rep because people always newer things. they see mansfield with theirs, both young and the same with forest and they think they bring energy and interest but colin brings knowledge. he offers more than the majority of commentators, a true pro! the fact he knows his account because he was around, it speaks volumes.

no, no he should not retire.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

People just want something to complain about.

Is Colin perfect? Absolutely not. However, having at times switched from Col to the opposition commentators, you soon appreciate Uncle Col.

He's part of the furniture, leave him alone.

• Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  1

He's not a legend, he's not a Notts fan he's a BPA fan and always has been and finally he works for the BBC not Notts so we pay his wages, if you had an employee that inept working for you, you would sack him. Apart from that I have no feelings on the matter COYP

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Thank god we haven't had to put up with that screaming hyena that commentates on the world flower arranging chumpionships!!!!

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Thanks for putting this poll on @hissingdwarf when I saw it and voted I thought I would be in the minority wanting him to stay on as long as possible but was pleasantly surprised when the results came up and the majority felt like me.

It's all been said really, he is a legend and listening to Notts commentary will never be the same when he finally hangs up his mike. He has more eloquence and intelligence in his little finger than the whole of the Mad crowd put together, he is a true gentleman of the old school, I love to hear him and long may he continue.

Wasn't Mike Ingham one of yours in the old days?

He's not a legend more a leg end, he's not a Notts fan he's a BPA fan and always has been and finally he works for the BBC not Notts so we pay his wages, if you had an employee that inept working for you, you would sack him. Apart from that I have no feelings on the matter COYP

Perhaps being a fan of another club brings a degree of perspective onto things. If I had an employee that good and loyal, I'd give him a pay rise!

The abuse 'leg end' is not necessary on this forum - try MAD. It is perfectly possible to be critical of someone with out that sort of thing.

I hope he continues for many more. He deserves our respect.

If he did decide to retire any time soon I wonder if David Jackson would take over? The weather guy, Charlie Slater seems to be able to do occasional commentry on the Stags so will Jackson get a promotion?

Can't see Chippers doing an every game stint. He's too much the anchor for the show now.

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

Colin Slater is, quite simply, the voice of Notts County. I have grown up listening to him and he is true professional as a broadcaster and an absolute gentleman. Long may he continue.

He is now a personal friend of mine, so I am a tad biased - and he was also a great friend of my late father. What I do know is that he is an encyclopedia of info re: Notts, he gives his time in support of the Club and any function or event associated with it & he is part of the very fabric of the Club. If the alternative is anything like the wailing and screaming of banshee like Fray or the emotionless drivel of that youth who does Mansfailed on Radio Red then, no thanks, I'll stick with Uncle Col every time.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Colin Slater is, quite simply, the voice of Notts County. I have grown up listening to him and he is true professional as a broadcaster and an absolute gentleman. Long may he continue.

He is now a personal friend of mine, so I am a tad biased - and he was also a great friend of my late father. What I do know is that he is an encyclopedia of info re: Notts, he gives his time in support of the Club and any function or event associated with it & he is part of the very fabric of the Club. If the alternative is anything like the wailing and screaming of banshee like Fray or the emotionless drivel of that youth who does Mansfailed on Radio Red then, no thanks, I'll stick with Uncle Col every time.

Well said that man :thumbsup:

Wasn't Mike Ingham one of yours in the old days?

Yes @ivansneck,early 1970's.

I listened to Wigan Athletic in one of their Europa League games, it made me appreciate Colin Slater because the two kept talking over each other. It was all talk on McMannan, various youngsters they felt would make the grade in the first team and how they was doing in the championship. 25-30% was actually coverage of the goal!

People will naturally want Colin out - as people do with managers, players and many other things.

It will be weird not hearing him when he retires.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

I'm of the same opinion as Super ram. Colin's commentary took me a while to get used to as well. Didn't radio Trent do commentaries once? I have a vague memory of listening to Notts on radio Trent and prefering their commentary. Like Super ram I'm pretty comfy nowadays with Colin and his occaisional  faux pas. I think Colin should decide when to retire without any undue grief from our lot.

Archived