Match Discussion: Game 23 - The Hatters (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

We generally kept Stockport pretty quiet, yes disappointed with the corner but if we scored that we’d praise our team for the creativity and execution. And it did make we laugh how they bought Jayden on and chucked him upfront because he’s quick, proper school ground tactics (not really laughing cos he won them a pen!)

That was much more like the Notts we know, bolder and braver taking the game to the best team in the league. We didn’t keep passing it backwards, we used Stone like the last option rather than the easy option which is a bit of a trap we’ve fallen into lately. Cameron and Brinds pushed forward, passing and movement was much better too, just needed a bit of luck with some of those crosses. They we’re very organised and defended pretty solidly through-out and it was an enjoyable game to watch.

I think we deserved at least a point, but hey that’s the nature of football, just got to take that performance into Boxing day now and end this little run of losses.

Oh and anyone got any footage of the Notts fans at the end? Great support as always but clearly made LW and the team a tad emotional.

• Like 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,291
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

A much improved performance from Notts. Our work rate, fight and desire was excellent but we for all of our possesion, we didn't create as many clear cut chances as we probably should have. 

We were a lot better on the ball than the last few games. We played through their first press well, moving the ball quickly between Baldwin, Cameron and Bostock. JB, Austin and Crowley were all picking up space in the centre of midfield and driving forward with the ball, something that has been lacking the last few games. 

Our work rate in winning the ball back was brilliant. Aldershot showed that you have to battle to stifle Stockport and we did that. We didn't allow them to go up a level at the start of the second half and we kept plugging away in hope of an equaliser.

However, Stockport defended their penalty area very well. They sit in their defensive shape well when faced with pressure. Jones crossed for Langstaff which he couldn't quite get his leg too, and then a Jones cross just missed Didzy and Macca. The one chance we should have taken came through excellent work rate by Aaron Nemane, winning the ball off Ethan Pye, squaring for Didzy who should have scored. Looking back on the highlights, it was quite a tame effort. Either corner and not the centre of the goal, and it's in. 

I thought Brindley had his best game in a while and kept Tanto Olaofe mostly quiet for the first half. He also cleared one off the line. Baldwin also had a good game, bringing the ball out of defence and playing quick passes between himself, Cameron and others, something we haven't done the last few games, where players haven't been showing for the ball giving Baldwin and Aidan Stone no options. Stone himself had a good game, saving well from Wootton and looking calm and assured on his line. The two goals came from us heading it out for a corner unnecessarily and then switiching off from the corner, and then Tobi losing his footing, allowing Stockport in on goal which lead to their penalty. 

Stockport were getting overrun in midfield and so they subbed on Akil Wright for Olaofe in the 2nd half, meaning Odin Bailey went in attacking midfield, pushing Madden up front with Wootton, but we still were seeing a lot of the ball and pressing forward. However in the penalty area, we just couldn't seem to connect on the end of a cross or muster enough space for a shooting opportunity. Sometimes Didzy and Macca couldn't get the ball out of their feet. The one time Didzy did, it ended with a goal. 

Both teams were missing key players. We were missing Macari and Palmer, along with players like Scott and Bajrami. I know they were missing Collar, Sarcevic, Barry and Southam-Hales. A noticeable difference was the bench in which they had options to change the game and we didn't, which is why I think we didn't make our first sub till 80 minutes and most of our bench was made up of defensive options. Something that will improve come January.

A hugely improved performance with good fight and work rate shown. Disappointing not to get something but encouraging signs to take into the next few games. The players deserved their ovation at the end of the game. The away end was one of the best I've been in

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

There are some cracking comments here and I don't have much more to add. The overall performance was such a big improvement on the Harrogate game it was like watching a different team. We didn't create tonnes of chances, but we were away to the team that's top of the league, and because we conceded first Stockport had the option of staying deep and not taking too many risks.

It's a shame we lost again, but not many teams will get a result there. Now we need to carry this on against Doncaster and I'm confident we can get a much-needed win.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't want to be negative, but the highlights from a defensive point wasn't great with the goals, it did sound like Aden Baldwin did very well, but why did we leave so much space open for their first goal?

I showed @cheeky~k8, and she asked me if the Notts players were ready for the corner.

The second goal (penalty), Tobi Adebayo-Rowling gave me shades of Richard Duffy. Wait, that might be harsh, but I'm sticking with it. Just knock it out or draw a foul, don't do what happened. Anyone else usually would have been slaughtered on social media and I don't think that is needed. Yet it was awful, and is a talking point for us to mention as I can't believe he made such a comical error. It's worse than Richard Brindley's mistake a few games ago, but then you see the way we attacked. There was a lot more effort. Our keepers have made a considerable amount of saves, putting us within a joint third of the league.

It really does show that Aidan Stone isn't the issue.

I'm not dwelling overly on the issue because I do acknowledge that good teams do cause problems, and the overall performance did sound 100% better. We need to be a bit more careful on the ball though.

• Like 1

Neither of them looked great @Chris, I could see the second coming a mile off. However, in our general play we looked less like an accident waiting to happen than in recent weeks, and that was due in part to the much improved assistance and movement in midfield. Against Harrogate they were constantly passing it back to the keeper because there was nowhere else to go, and it always looked a matter of time until a pass went astray. Yesterday was a world apart from that.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I completely agree, @DangerousSausage.

If we were more established at this level, it might be a bit more different, but really I fully understand that Stockport County are a very good team. The save by Aidan Stone when Kyle Wootton was one-on-one was very good. Plus our goal line clearance, but the issue isn't with our keeper. It's the amount of chances we give due to not handling the threats.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

I don’t believe their second goal should have been a penalty. Tobi Adebayo-Rowling wasn’t the only one struggling to stay upright. To me, it seemed like Jayden Richardson had fallen, and even after watching the highlights, I’m not convinced there was any contact. The decision seemed harsh on Kyle Cameron.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

20 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

@Joshua "I don’t particularly enjoy bringing budgets into the conversation as they don’t provide a fair basis for comparison."

In the National League, Stockport's budget was nearly twice the size of Notts. Perhaps the quality of Stockport's bench reflected that last night

Both of Stockport's goals scored by ex Notts players😢

Jayden Richardson didn’t take the penalty, he merely fell over and then alleged he had been fouled. I understand your point though.

Regarding the budget, I’ve tried to investigate this and all the data seems very inconsistent. I don’t think Notts has the poorest budget and I’m interested in how expenditure affects the money we have for players’ wages. So, it might not be exactly like comparing two identical apples, but I suspect our budget might not be as robust as others. :) 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/startseite/wettbewerb/GB4

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  731
  • Days Won:  3

In my opinion, the penalty decision was rather lenient given the way Jayden Richardson fell. He collapsed as if he had been tripped, then protested once his teammates started calling for it. I thought they were overly physical, almost to the point of excess. The number of times Kyle Wootton seemed to be wrestling with Aden Baldwin was notable. We had three excellent opportunities, the shot David McGoldrick took, perhaps it would have been better to pass to Macaulay Langstaff. Macca himself had that attempt where his aim just needed a bit more precision and Jodi Jones who shot wide of the goal. It was a very entertaining match between two top teams. Notts may lack a bit of quality, but they demonstrated unity and determination against Stockport.

• Like 1

I think it was a penalty, Richardson was about to pull the trigger and would certainly have scored. Cameron took his heels with no attempt to play the ball. Stockport would have scored either way.

Richardson looked a right handful after he came on, but did he spend as much time whingeing and provoking the opposition when he was in a Notts shirt?