New Head Coach, New Ideas,Tactics, Shape & Style of Play..

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

So we know that Luke has gone and we wait for a new Head Coach to be appointed.

A New Coach brings new ideas, new tactics, possible changes in shape, style of play & changes in the team.

What would you like to see from a new Head Coach?

Will all the players get a new lease of life or might we see changes in the starting 11?

Edited by Robbie
  • Like 3

• Robbie changed the title to New Head Coach, New Ideas,Tactics, Shape & Style of Play..

Supporter+

When the new Head Coach comes in with his new team all of our players will be given a chance to impress the new gaffer, in training and on the pitch. The recent set of poor results under the previous coaching team could be put down to a lack of confidence. A new person at the helm will immediately give all the players a lift and by implementing new ideas, tactics, style of play and shape, it could immediately give some of our players a new lease of life, and help them to continue to challenge for a first team place.

Of course we will get a fresh intake of players too, so this will increase competition for places.

I'm confident that the New Head Coach will put an end to the poor set of results from the team and  lift everyone's spirits for the final half of the season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i hope we go back to a 4-4-2, but have a manager that can command a switch in formation to suite how the game is progressing. i think this would be the best of both worlds picking up from previous managers. it would also give us a bit of movement with the injuries we have as we are very restricted playing the 5-4-1 formation. it does not allow us to change much with the wing backs.

going to a 4-4-2 would give adam chicksen and richard brindley their strongest positions back.

aaron nemane, jodi jones will also be able to play their usual attacking focused game with less pressure to drop deep.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Looking forward to Jim O'Brien's first press conference pre Grimsby, as Interim Head Coach. It will be interesting listening.

• Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

I don’t think the style or formation will change dramatically; in fact I’d be really surprised if it did and I don't want to see it change either! The Bros have finally given the club an identity and a style of play is almost expected now. It’s finally about continuation, building on the works of the previous head coach not ripping everything up and starting again. The Bros have a specific profile of head coach they’ll be looking for and it will be in the exact same mould as Ian Burchnall and Luke Williams.

Gone are the days when a manager comes in and bemoans that these aren’t his players and he needs at least 2 or 3 transfer windows to get us up to scratch. The new head coach should be able to hit the ground running as these players will already match up with how he wants to play. They’ll be slight differences, every coach is different, I’m just really keen to see the high press stay as a big part of our identity! And fresh ideas around defending won't go a miss either.

Also we’re so low on fit players at the moment, there’s not much you can do to change the starting 11! That said I’m looking forward to see Robertson in action, I don’t think Fleetwood’s direct style of play suited him. By all accounts he’s a player in the same mould as Bostock and Palmer, so I think he’ll fit in here perfectly.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

I don't expect to see any massive change in the way we play, nor the formation.

The recruitment team are still signing players, manager or no manager, as proven before with the signing of Langstaff. Those signings are naturally made to fit a certain role and position. 

What we are likely to see are smaller changes in player instructions, positioning etc.. Also, he may fancy some players in certain positions that Williams didn't. The goalkeeper position and back 3 will be interesting to see who he picks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I really hope we don't go 4-4-2 as I think it will hinder our style.  With Chicksen in a back 4 with a mix of Brindley / Baldwin/ Cameron / Rawlinson and Macari, then you are restricted in the centre midfield; who do you drop from the pivot one of Bostock / Ausitn / Palmer / JoB and then all the play goes through one player which puts a massive pressure on them and is relatively easy to stop.  Then with both of Namane and Jones on the wing do you drop Macca / Crowley / McGoldrick up front, or do you play with one winger? We are now set up to play with wingbacks so I can't see that changing.  I would like to see us slightly more pragmatic and when under pressure not be afraid to put the ball out and reset, rather than play risky passes just to maintain possession. There is a happy medium that I don't think we have found yet (or even looked for).

• Like 2

Supporter+

I agree @Ohh Tommy JohnsonWhy can't our defenders just kick it out of play or hoof it up field if in trouble.

Kicking it out of play gives the side extra seconds to get themselves set again instead of thinking they have to play or pass themselves out of trouble in our last third. This has cost us dear. Then there's the silly mistakes too.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

I wonder if the silly mistakes come from indecision.. instinct is to put it in Row Z, instructions is to pass it out. 

• Like 2

Supporter+

Yes @Ohh Tommy Johnson those mistakes have been very costly. I hope the New Head Coach will sort it.

• Like 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

The new head coach must have some select principles, if we are to handle the transition period well

Tactical continuity 

- The new head coach must build on our principles to play possession based, high tempo football. Playing out from the back, but taking risks when needed and knowing when to play and when not to. Not overplaying when you don't need to. Pressing the opposition and winning the ball high up the pitch and when we lose, counter press. Stick to the philosophy that has been successful. We don't need a 4-4-2, two quick wingers and two big lads up front because it feels good and reminds us of "the good old days." To continue the progress made, you need to tweak and not tear up. We need to adapt to situations (like we have done recently without Matty Palmer). It's evolution, not revolution

Player development

- We saw under LW, that players can adapt the way they play and can thrive in different positions. Aaron Nemane has become a regular part of the starting x1 for 2 seasons. Adam Chicksen became a goalscoring wing-back, Jim and Cammy became more comfortable with the ball at their feet. He even took Macca from a wider position at Gateshead and made him the best striker at the club this century, turning him into a penalty area poacher, pressing machine. This must extend to the academy and the B team. We can start to see the likes of James Sanderson, Madou Cisse, Lucien Mahovo, Luther Munakandafa and Charlie Gill appear more in the first team squad over the next few years. Our model is about sustainability, and if we develop players and then sell them on for more than we bought them for, that's a success. This also makes us an attractive proposition for clubs to send their players to us on loan.

Man management

- This is a huge aspect. One that is bigger than people think. Luke Williams treated his players like brothers. He conjured up a relentless mentality. It was one of the big reasons we got out the National League. You need a winning mentality and to rise above others who try and dish it out. A group that is committed to the overall goal and our style, will become a successful group. Treat the players like human beings and foster a team spirit and mentality worthy of Notts County. Luke said after the Harrogate game "Playing with sloppiness and mistakes and without courage, you cannot play for Notts County like that."

• Like 3

Supporter+

I very nice piece of commentary @ARLukomski 

I think it is vital for Clubs like Notts to have a good youth and development policy that can be a good source of revenue for the Club.