Steve Cotterill

Piethagoram

Supporter+

That’s a good appointment for them, he’s done reasonably well wherever he goes. If anyone can keep them up he can.

• Like 4

His stock has fallen a fair bit with his last two managerial roles, but it is a good appointment, will it last though? Steve Cotterill is barely someone who won't speak his mind. There are so many ways I can see this ending in a disaster. Their chairman will need to do right by him and the fans, because otherwise Cotterill won't last long.

Spending money in a ditched effort to stay up normally isn't a good thing, as it takes players time to settle in and the whole vibe around Forest Green Rovers sounds very toxic.

It sounded this way well before Troy Deeney sparked controversy with his comments on the players.

It shouldn't be underestimated how big of a job this is for Steve Cotterill, he's good at getting teams on an even platform but can struggle when the damage is set in. Ask any Shrewsbury Town fans their opinion on Cotterill. 

• Like 3

its a good appointment on paper, he has a lot to do in order to secure forest green. you would have to say he is of the ability to steady the ship, but he cant be seen as a long term option. if he does well, he will soon jump to another club. if he fails, he will be dismissed. if he is average, then he might manage to hang around a bit longer but steve cotterill is known for wanting more and more resources. i do think he should be able to transform them but only for the short term, personally i think he is more an average manager these days.

a very goo experienced manager, but average in terms of what you should expect.

if forest green are happy to stay in the league under him i can see it happening, if they want to become a strong league two team i think could help with that but nothing long term.

• Like 2

Regarding Tom’s tweet, he tends to maintain a polite and optimistic outlook without offering much personal insight. He avoids ruffling feathers, except when criticising certain players. While the appointment is good, there’s room to criticise Forest Green for spending more on squad improvements. Troy Deeney’s comments send a negative message about the squad’s faith and the need for improvements. This contradicts the question of whether they’ll avoid relegation. As a football analyst, one would expect him to favour one side or the other. Tom provides great insight but seems hesitant to make calls that might upset his readers. While he doesn’t need to be harsh, being overly positive can affect credibility.