Match Discussion: Game 45 - The U's (H)

PON_News

Game 45 - The U's (H)

Team: Colchester United

Date: 20/04/2024

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

Notts will be playing for pride on Saturday, so Notts have plenty to play for.

Key areas will be our defence and midfield, that was lacking at times against Stickport

Notts need to carry on from the much better second half performance against Stockport and carry it through on Saturday.

We will have to see if Jatta and Macari are fit for Saturday, Robertson should return to the starting lineup.

I would be inclined to start with Scott for Langstaff alongside Jatta, if Jatta not fit would put Scott with Langstaff. I would play Austin for Bostock.

Notts need to play with high intensity and pass through the lines quickly and incisively.

If we play to our strengths, Notts should have too much up front for Colchester. I'm hopeful of seeing a 3:1 win for Notts..

My team if fit

Ashley-Hamnond, Macari, Cameron, Baldwin, Nemane Jones, Austin, Robertson, Crowley, Scott & Jatta

Bench

Slocombe, Langstaff, Rawlinson, O'Brien, Randall.

I can't see Maynard dropping Langstaff. All Hell would break loose if the top scorer in League 2 is missing from the Line up and he wasn't injured. It would be nice to see Macca and Cedwyn line up together one last time at the Lane. I'm sure AJ would understand (even if he's fit).  

Realistically it depends on which Notts Team turns up, if it's the Great we'll soon be on our summer break and we can't be bothered team then I'll think the Magpies will Struggle. If the Players come Out with the let's Put On A Show attitude as a Massive Thankyou to the Fans for their Loyalty then Notts should Batter Colchester.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 1

Colchester are where they are for a reason, but they've fought to avoid the drop and have won their last two. Earlier in the season they beat us 5-4 in one of those ridiculous games where we seemed completely in command yet kept gifting them a goal. Danny Cowley is their manager now, so expect aggressive pressing and long ball tactics.

For the sake of the other teams at the bottom, we need to put in a professional display, play for pride and keep the hope of a place in the top half alive. If any of the players give it less than 100%, we could be in for an unpleasant afternoon.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Obviously I want Notts to win but if Colchester win, at least it relegates Sutton. That's a bonus in my book. The 2 least likeable sides in the division going down? I'd be OK with that. OK, FGR aren't too bad but their owner is a bit of a tool.....

• Like 1

Colchester definitely won't have the same level quality as Stockport, but they'll have the same level of desire to get a win. If we can be bothered it's a very winnable game, the pressure is on them.

I'd make a few changes from the team that started against Stockport but I can't really suggest a team because I've no real idea who is or isn't injured, I'm 99% someone will have picked up an injury since Tuesday because that's just how it's gone all season.

It's a really good chance to get a win to round off the home games and it'll be the last time the majority of fans see the team. I'm not sure too many would be thrilled with a lap of honour after a loss...

• Like 2

Strange as it may seem Danny Cowley might be the one to swing things Colchester's way. He has a lot more Coaching Experience than Stuart Maynard and he'll have his Team Fired up and they'll know if they Win down the Lane they'll be safe and Sutton will go down ( I still think Sutton will go down what ever tomorrows result is). Maynard is going to have to match Cowley and get the Magpies Fired up to Win their last match at Home for 2023/2024 season. Because if they don't Win, following the Stockport disaster  on Tuesday an awful Lot of Notts Fans are going to carry a lot of Negative feelings into and over the off season and Stuart Maynard is going to get a Huge amount of Bad Press on Social Media Platforms.

• Like 1

We know how Colchester are going to play. Every side plays against Notts in a very similar way, 

Concede possession, press us hard, wait for the mistakes at the back. Hit us on the break, pump plenty of balls into our box, & rely on dead ball situations.

Notts have had plenty of practice to counter these situations .

It's time they did just that tomorrow, and it's also a good time to absolutely murder a team like Colchester and send the fans home happy.

• Like 2

According Stallard on Radio Nottingham Notts have scored 95 goals in all competitions and conceded 98 this season with two matches left.

Would be quite a stat if it finished up a hundred for and a hundred against.

What a really good win today against a side that didn't show much ambition, but were awkward opponents.

Slightly different approach from Maynard today just playing one striker from the start.

It certainly looked like Stuart was trying to ensure we bossed the midfield which I believe we did 

Robertson is going to be big for Notts next season in partnership with Marty Palmer. Looking forward to seeing both of them in midfield next season..

I think Notts looked much more balanced today and O'Brien's energy was big today too.

Glad to see Macari back and he will be a major player in our defence next season.

I hope it is not the last time we see the three musketeers, Jodi, Dan, & Macca playing at Meadow Lane for Notts.

I have a feeling that all three will be here at the start of the season, ready and willing to put on that black and white shirt once again.

And one more thing. Over 11000 at Meadow lane today, for a match with no real significance is very encouraging for next season.

• Like 2

Supporter+

A win is a win. I'd be shocked if Langstaff was here next season. He's an incredible finisher. Some team are going to make a move for him. 

• Sad 2

@Dripsey3 then someone is going to have to pay big for him.

He still has 3 years left on his contract. He will also, most likely be, the golden boot winner for league 2.

Only a Championship club will be able to afford him.

Supporter+
39 minutes ago, Robbie said:

@Dripsey3 then someone is going to have to pay big for him.

He still has 3 years left on his contract. He will also, most likely be, the golden boot winner for league 2.

Only a Championship club will be able to afford him.

I think he'll go to Sunderland. He reminds me of Jamie Vardy in his prime. I think he'll play in the Premiership in the future, that's how highly I rate him. He's too good for League Two.  

I was actually really surprised at how poor Colchester were, I expected them to give us much more a game. Was that down to us being too good? I'd like to think so! We easily dominated them, probably played safe a bit at times but over the course of the game created more than enough good chances. A 2 or even 3 nil win wouldn’t have flattered us.

I was a touch worried with it being 1-0 going into the last 10 minutes though, especially with our defence and ability to give a goal away from nothing. We had that one moment from the corner where they had a great chance to score which would’ve been unfair but not surprising… No idea why they didn’t really go for it more, they’d have been better off committing more players to try and get something from the game - something I guess we as Notts fans can't ever moan about! I was surprised to see how far backward Jayden Richardson's development has gone, thought he was decent for us and had the potential to go on to better things. And John Akinde still playing football, not the threat he used to be that’s for sure.

It’s likely Colchester will still be in the league next season and Newport who are currently on 7 losses in a row run. Even the most pessimistic of Notts fans should be confident we won’t finish bottom. Glad and reassuring to see we looked a cut above one the division's poorer sides. 

• Like 1

I sometimes Despair regarding Stuart Maynard he brings on Cedwyn Scott and who does he replace Macca Langstaff.  Unbelievable this match could well have been the Last Time Ceds and Macca play together at the Lane. And Maynard pulls a Stunt like that in fact he could have started them both up Front instead of leaving Macca as the lone Striker. Maynard Really  Does Not Have A Clue At Times. And wonders why the Fans Criticise him. The Magpies ended their season on home soil will a Win, but it was as Boring as Hell now on to Forest Green. I also thought the Ref was awful again today.

• Surprised 1