Notts Wing-Back/Full-Back recommendations 2024/25 season

Tobi Adebayo-Rowling has been released and I don't think Chicksen will play a big part next season, even if he hasn't been transfer listed. Will Randall has been transfer listed and I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Sutton.

That leaves us with Aaron Nemane and Jodi Jones to play RWB and LWB respectively. Whilst they are predominantly attack minded, it is obvious we need some wing-backs who are more adept defensively and can offer some more balance to the side. They have to be comfortable with defending, especially one-on-one, but also provide the necessary supporting going forward. They can't be too attack minded like Jodi but not too defensive minded like Chicksen.

Wing-Back stats.PNG

More stats can be found on Wyscout, but as said before, I'm not prepared to take out a mortgage to pay for their services, especially as their prices are going up. *Ryan Burke's stats are taken from this season's Irish League due to the fact he was in the Irish 2nd division last season with Waterford. I have thus, only taken his stats from his current games in this years League of Ireland.

RWB - Archie Davies, Joel Senior, Gus Scott-Morriss, James Clarke, Connor Barrett, George Wind

LWB - Nick Tsaroulla, Ryan Rydel, Ryan Burke, Bartlomiej Kukulowicz

My top 3 for each position would be Archie Davies, Joel Senior and Connor Barrett. Davies would command a fee, Senior is out of contract and with Morecambe's financial issues, it could be wise to move in. Barrett is out of contract and will likely be of interest to EFL clubs this summer. I think Clarke is more comfortable as a RB or in the right side of a back 3, rather than wing-back. I can see Scott-Morriss staying at Southend, because they've got a great chance of going up next season. George Wind has been linked with Notts and also has interest from Stockport and Barrow, but it's whether he can make that step up 3 leagues.

My top 3 for LWB is Nick Tsaroulla, Ryan Burke and Bartlomiej Kukulowicz. No doubt Tsaroulla will want a starting place but it would be a great signing. Ryan Burke was on the books of Birmingham, before moving to Ireland, where he won promotion last season and has started the majority of games for Waterford this season and is comfortable at LB or LWB. Kukulowicz is a younger option but his stats make for good reading, despite not starting as many games. He can also play on both flanks. Rydel is a more ambitious one. He hasn't played as much at Stockport this season due to injury, but I would imagine he would want to start, which is unlikely with Jodi at the club.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@ARLukomski

If Jodi stays & Notts want to play both Jodi and Aaron next season, do you think Notts will go to a flat back four to bolster the defence and use Jodi & Aaron as traditional wingers or maybe just play Jodi, so Notts can stick with 3 midfielders, or again play both & have one striker instead of two?

@Robbie I think SM will stick with 3 at the back, It's got us success before and 2 of the 3 teams that went up, played 3 at the back (Stockport and Wrexham). MK and Crawley, who finished in the play-offs, also play 3 at the back. It's about finding a balance within the team, whilst also having the ability to switch to a back four if the 3-4-1-2/3-4-2-1 isn't working in games. This also includes having the required height, strength and athleticism from our central defenders (which is my next piece)

• Like 1

I think these will be key additions if want to progress, I think having both Jodi and Nemane against the better teams causes us more problems than it solves.

Connor Barrett's 11 assists for Fylde stand out, I've never seen him play but if he's equally as good as defending at it seems he is attacking that would seem like a really great option. And think someone like Joel Senior would be the solid, but unspectacular option, he'd definitely be better at defending than Nemane.

I think Rydel has been offered a contract by Stockport but if he turns it down I'd be approaching him. I was hoping to see a bit of Tsaroulla in Crawley's play-off game but he didn't start and I'd turned off by the time he came on (for all of about 10 mins!)

• Like 1

Joel Senior will be leaving Morecambe now and Gus Scott-Morriss will be out of contract but Southend do have the option to extend this - no news as of yet.

Senior seems the obvious choice at the moment he's definitely good enough for this league and won Morecambe's fans and players’ player of the season award. Similarly Scott-Morriss won the fans and sponsors player of the season award this season. He is generally very highly rated by Southend fans, most would say he’s the best right wing-back in the NL.

• Like 1

A bit of context to that tweet from Tom Williams. We scored 4 that day, should have had double that and Colchester were shocking defensively.

So were we, which is why we let in 5 and should have let in 10.

• Like 2