The Goalkeeping Coach. Is He an Unappreciated Mastermind?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,389
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Is the Goalkeeping coach the most underappreciated member of the technical team? 

The Goalkeeping Coach is a relatively new position & many fans are unaware of their importance to a modern football team where the role of the goalkeeper has changed to what they were expected to do in the past.

Notts have a Goalkeeping Coach and he has become a very important member of the Coaching team.

The following article discusses the role of a Goalkeeping Coach & how they work within modern Coaching Teams.

https://goalkeeper.com/news-and-media/exclusives/post/the-goalkeeper-coach-underappreciated-mastermind

• Like 2

Supporter+

The role of the goalkeeper has changed compared to what goalkeepers were expected to do in the past.

I can remember the likes of Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton, and Ray Clemence plying their trade and being lourded for their brilliance. 

They were fantastic shot stoppers, had quick reflexes, could jump and catch the ball from crosses and Corners. 

The vast majority of the time they kicked goalkicks & punted balls to the halfway line when they had to clear the ball, they only passed or handed the ball to a player very occasionally.

Now, in the modern game, goalkeepers are expected to act as a sweeper, be able to pass to players accurately up to 50 yards & have very good ball skills.

Goalkeepers only hoof the ball upfield if they are under extreme pressure. They are expected to have the ball skills of a defensive midfielder.

That's where the goalkeeping coach comes in.

What do my fellow PON colleagues feel about goalkeeping coaches, are they really necessary in the modern game, or would you prefer goalies just concentrate on the job they are supposed to do, shot stopping, commanding their area, catching crosses and corners, & just clearing the ball when they have to?

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,310
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

I remember many years ago Gordon Banks said in an interview, that if you want to be a Goalkeeper, go and join the Worst team in your area, not the Best. That way you'll have to stop more shots and learn the Art of Goalkeeping a Hell of a lot quicker. When Banks was at Leicester it was  he who trained Peter Shilton. who eventually took Banks place in the Leicester first team. And both played for England so Banks did something right.

I also remember Gary Sprake at Leeds United, he could throw a ball further than some Keepers could kick one.  Who remembers the Goal Pat Jennings scored against Manchester United? Other keepers have scored the same type of goal, but I think Pat was the First or one of the First to do it.

Sweeper Keeper how I Hate that term A Goalkeeper should just be that, he should as you have stated just concentrate on shot stopping, commanding their area, catching crosses and corners, and lets not forget, saving the odd Penalty. How many times in games since this Sweeper Keeper thing came in have we seen some keepers trying to be clever and play the ball out and either getting Robbed by a striker or his pass intercepted resulting in a Goal for their opponents. With the Greatest of Respect in my Opinion the Goalkeeping Coach position is just an unnecessary expense for a Club. Training young Goalies is the job for the Senior Keeper (eg Banks and Shilton.) And playing a young player  (no matter what position) along side an experienced player  would help the youngster develop his footballing skills a hell of a lot quicker,  and under Match Conditions.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Totally agree @Wheelbarrow repair man

Watching the old matches from the 60s, 70s, and 80s ball playing sides like Leeds United under Revie, Liverpool under Shankly, Tottenham under Nicholson, Ipswich under Robson & Forest under Clough.

All these sides didn't expect the goalkeeper to continually distribute  the ball like they do today, they kicked the ball upfield the vast majority of the time.

I think that teams now play what we used to call the continental way, where teams always play out from the back. 

I still think there is a merit to playing the old way some of the time to keep the opposition guessing. 

I don't know whether you've noticed, but if it is nearing the end of the match, and a team is a goal behind they tend to go long anyway to save time rather than build from the back.

I also think that the large number of foreign coaches have been a big influence on the increase in the continental style of play we now see dominating the English game.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,952
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

As in all things tastes change, things move on, football is no exception, as you rightly say @Robbie the goalkeepers role has changed immensely and these days a goalkeeper has to have a range of qualities, they have to be good shot stoppers, accurate passers, accurate throwers and excellent with the ball at their feet to enable them to dribble when necessary. So in that respect I would imagine the clubs feel that a good goalkeeping coach is worth his weight in gold.

Who remembers George Smith the Notts goalie from the 50s early 60s, he would sometimes dribble his way out of goal and I’ve even seen him take a throw in halfway up the pitch, perhaps he was a trailblazer sweeper keeper. :biggrin:

• Like 5

Supporter+

@Fan of Big Tone I agree that football has moved on for the better.

Goalkeeping coaches are an important part of the modern game now

Goalkeepers of yesteryear like Banks and Clemence would be pleased to see that the Goalkeeping role is seen as a pivotal part of a team now.

I wonder how those two players, plus goalkeepers like Shilton and Sprake would have adapted to the new thinking?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,310
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

Maybe that the whole trouble with the "Modern" Game there is to much influence from Europe and there are to many Foreign Coaches in the English Game like there are to many Foreign players, how many times do you see a talented English youngster frozen out of an English team, to be replaced by a Mediocre Foreign player costing Millions  of pounds? It seems that English talent needs to go abroad, to play. Jude Bellingham, Jordan Sancho and Harry Kane  being the latest to display their talents abroad.   

Sorry about the Rant, now back to Topic in question. 

Can you imagine what Cloughie would have done  to his Goalkeeper, if they started playing the Sweeper Keeper Role and were robbed by an  opposition striker and they scored against Forest? If not go on You tube and listen to Mark Crossley's story about how Cloughie got rid of David Currie. Yes things  change and progress with time but Not Always For The Better.

Which was proven last season at Notts once teams worked out how to play against  the Magpies, the threat of the Notts attack was nullified, to a certain extent by the errors in the Defence. And I would ask Stuart Maynard, if he's going to persist with the Notts "Model" which seems highly likely, No Scratch That. That is 100% Certain at LEAST SPEED THE BLOODY THING UP.  Tippy Tappy Football is the Most Boring Mind Numbing type of Football ever played.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I agree about Cloughie, & it was done his way or the highway.

I can remember when goalies kicked to centre field or beyond from goalkicks and punts to restart play.

There was also a time from the middle 90s that goalies were encouraged to move the ball out of the penalty area and kick it long, now it's short passing.

The way goalies are instructed to play nowadays with short passing encourages the opponents to employ a high line on us.

The merits of kicking long eliminates or drastically reduces the dangers of an opponent's high line.

How many times did Notts get dispossessed deep in their own half last season and conceded a goal?

I do love Notts style of play, but we have to mix the style, go long a lot more, it is much safer, and it is the goalie that can direct that style of play much more.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

This is a question for Tom Weal, who has shouldered much of the blame for the goalkeeping errors and the signing of Aiden Stone, likely without having any say in the matter other than working with him. I value the hard work of all the coaches, but if we’re discussing those who often go unnoticed, I’d highlight the youth teams and academy. They nurture our future stars, a role that can seem thankless when the club is hesitant to field them.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Supporter+
16 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I value the hard work of all the coaches, but if we’re discussing those who often go unnoticed, I’d highlight the youth teams and academy. They nurture our future stars, a role that can seem thankless when the club is hesitant to field them.

Exactly 👍

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  744
  • Days Won:  3

Coaches, at the end of the day, are just that, coaches. Most of them work quietly in the background. Notts has a strong team, and I’m confident that each member plays a crucial role. I view goalkeepers in the same light. While all of them are appreciated, some may go unnoticed and unthanked.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

yes, i think so. i think goalkeeper coaches dont get noticed as much as others but even then its a fair point to highlight the academy ones. they spend so much time nurturing talent. years and years with the same players from a young age until some sign schooler deals or even first year pros. i am thankful the reedtz have invested properly in all of our coaching team.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  8,982
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I hadn't appreciated that our new GK coach, coached at Rochdale when they were promoted to EFL1

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2024/june/steve-collis-appointment-050624/

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

I continue to feel a sense of disappointment for Tom Weal. He appeared to be quite competent in his role, and it’s not his fault that he couldn’t turn around Aidan Stone’s fortunes. I believe that goalkeeping coaches often don’t receive the recognition they deserve, mainly because their role lacks the glamour associated with other positions. However, their contribution is just as crucial.

• Like 1