England v Switzerland: Pre & Post Match Analysis.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

On Saturday 6th July at five pm, England meet Switzerland in the Euro 24 quarter finals.

England have flattered to deceive in the competition so far.

Only a wonder goal by Jude Bellingham saved England in the last minute of injury time at the end of the 90 minutes against Slovakia.

And then Harry Kane headed the winner in extra time to take England through.

England need to improve if they are to beat an impressive Switzerland side.

England are capable of beating Switzerland but they have to play at their best.

Can England do it. Do they need to change formation, tactics & style. Should Southgate make team changes?

• Like 4

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Before the tournament began if you had said England will play Switzerland in the Quarter final, I'd have said we'll take that. However, given how we've performed this tournament it's going to be a tougher game than expected. Given the players we have, if the team performs the way they can and issues of the previous games are rectified then we should be able to get through this game.

Switzerland have shown that they will be no pushovers after their displays against both Germany and Italy but also got to remember that Scotland managed to hold them to a 1-1. 

I'm doubtful of Southgate making necessary changes but I hope I'm wrong about that. The golden generation had an issue with Sven not changing tactics and formation, it could be the same with this group. 

I would like to see him change up the formation and go 3 at the back. Guehi has been exceptional this tournament but with him now suspended, we may need to restructure. 

Pickford. Ever present, there's no faulting Pickford as England's number 1. 

Back 3 of Walker Stones and Konsa. Stones would be able to bring the ball out from defence as he'll have Walker as a recovery defender which is one of his strengths as he's shown in games gone by for England. Konsa is good option moving out left. 

Trent at Right Wing Back and Saka at Left Wing Back allowing for attacking threat down either side as Southgate mentioned after the Slovakia game about width and wing play. Trent is one of the best crossers and passers of the ball in this England squad so that would be a strength pushing up and Saka gives the balance of a left footed player on that side getting down the wing.

Bellingham and Rice in the centre allowing Bellingham to make runs forward and Rice can cover the space needed. 

Foden playing in the 10 role to show what he can really do and how effective he can be in that position.

Kane up top with Watkins or Toney. Preferably Watkins as with Kane dropping as deep as he does, he's capable of passing the ball in behind defences to which Watkins can do what he does and get in behind the defence. Kind of like an old fashioned big man little man strike partnership. 

• Like 5

Supporter+

The BBC pundits have their say whether England need to switch things up in against Switzerland.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Could this be true?

Would be very surprised if it is. Southgate isn't known to be a radical type Manager.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have watched and heard that Luke Shaw is on the verge of being given a chance after recovering from his injury. No idea if it's true, but Jude Bellingham mentioned it on ITV and Harry Kane spoke to Sky Sports News about how Shaw would be a boost. I don't think we should be pinning our hopes on him, if he does well, great, but we need to be smart about what we do.

Preparation and tactically, we just need to be more robust and hard-working.

• Like 6

Supporter+

Problem for England during the last dozen matches or so is the propensity to go defensive then for the defence & midfield to go deeper & deeper, after we have scored a goal. 

We did it against Slovakia after Kane had scored early in extra time, & for the next 25 minutes England were on the back foot.

We just can't do that against the better teams like Switzerland, otherwise England will be punished.

I don't know where this tactic came from, but ultimately, Southgate has to take responsibility.

It is now certainly ingrained into this current team, & it will be very hard to remove it.

• Like 2

@Chris

I've heard quite a few of the players mention Luke Shaw and reporters have all been asking the question about him. Agree we shouldn't be pinning all our hopes on him. Personally, I don't think we should be thinking about including him from the start considering he's not played since Feb and now we're at a Quarter final stage. If he had played 20 mins in previous games during this tournament, I'd see a case for it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbie said:

Problem for England during the last dozen matches or so is the propensity to go defensive then for the defence & midfield to go deeper & deeper, after we have scored a goal. 

We did it against Slovakia after Kane had scored early in extra time, & for the next 25 minutes England were on the back foot.

We just can't do that against the better teams like Switzerland, otherwise England will be punished.

I don't know where this tactic came from, but ultimately, Southgate has to take responsibility.

It is now certainly ingrained into this current team, & it will be very hard to remove it.

Precisely this, we need to get out of the mentality of soaking up pressure when we go a goal ahead. Serbia and Denmark we became second best in both games after going 1-0 up, should be looking to build momentum and go for goals 2 and 3 secure the game. In the past this strategy has cost us. 

As for the other point about where the tactic come from, it has to be a Southgate instruction. Now I'm not saying this to blame Southgate as such but if it was a one off situation where England went 1 goal up and then dropped so deep to defend and soak up pressure than I'd say the players have taken it upon themselves to do that but considering it's happened on 3 occasions like the extra time against Slovakia you mentioned despite going ahead early in extra time, it has to be down to Southgate instructing this. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

gareth southgate should be okay with adapting the squad, its not like we have not played with a back 3 before. the issue is doing it right in a tournament where the performances have no been great. i just hope we dont fall asleep at the back because without the defence, we may have been out already. yes its taken attacking players to score but pickford and the defence has done much better.

• Like 3

Supporter+

Are you all ready for the England match this afternoon?

Can England win, should Southgate make changes to the line up, should he go 4-4-2 & go more direct?

Fate has awarded England an easier draw to the final on paper. Can England take advantage?

Those questions will be answered before the day is over.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’m certainly ready, I’ll be sat in front of the telly with a pint of my favourite beer.

Not sure about formations or tactics etc., I’ll leave that to Gareth who is a lot more knowledgeable than me. :wink:

COME ON ENGLAND!!

• Like 3

Supporter+

The England team to face Switzerland.

Just one change to the team that faced Slovakia.

• Like 2

Supporter+

First Half 

England 0 Switzerland 0

1 min gone

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  363
  • Days Won:  1

England corner..... 3 passes and it's back with Pickford..... I thought only Notts could do that!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Half Time

England 0 Switzerland 0.

BBC pundits watching a different match to what I'm seeing.

The system is the same.

England have not created a match yet.

Where's the improvement, I don't see any?

Supporter+

Switzerland take the lead.

England 0 Switzerland 1

76 mins.

England under Southgate are just plain negative.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Three substitutions from Southgate make the difference.

SAKA!!!

England 1 Switzerland 1

83 mins gone

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

End of the 90 mins.

England 1 Switzerland 1.

Extra time to be played 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Half Time of extra time.

England 1 Switzerland 0

The BBC pundits said. Can Southgate give the team some belief?

Come on, this is the quarter finals of Euro 24. If you can't get motivated for this you can't get motivated for anything else.

Trouble is, this is the most negative England team I've seen.

Supporter+

Hold on to your hats.

It's a penalty shootout.

England 1 Switzerland 1 

Supporter+

England win the penalty shootout 5:3

England are in the Euro 24 

Semi final.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

England’s performance was significantly better, easily the best of the tournament. However, there were still moments where we fell a bit short. The defence seemed more comfortable and improved, although Switzerland’s goal was a disappointment. It was a quality break by them.

John Stones could have performed better. I don’t blame Kyle Walker, but perhaps he should have been positioned in front of the Swiss scorer and made a greater effort to block the goal. Bukayo Saka’s goal was a stunner! What a response from England, they really pushed and elevated their game.

The match felt more like a duel between two teams that were both trying their best. The ending on penalties was nerve-wracking, but our players took their penalties with such calmness.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Without a word of a lie I was literally falling asleep during the first off I mean actually nodding off and waking up with a start, I desperately wanted to stay awake but couldn’t. During half time I got up off my chair and had a walk round and did a bit of meal preparation and by the time the second half started I was more awake and the second half was lots better at least I kept awake and for the penalties I was on the edge of my seat!

Well we’re through that’s the main thing and I’m grateful for that but I just wish they weren’t so pedestrian, please inject a bit of pace to the attacks so I can stay awake for the whole match.

Tired Tony.

• Surprised 1