New players make the difference

Chris

Kenny Burns: New players make a difference, but Notts County must back up result.

5787986-large.jpg

Celebration: Alan Sheehan marks making it 3-0 to Notts with Kwesi Appiah. Picture: John Sumpter @ JMS Photography.

It was a great win for Notts County over Coventry.

They played ever so well, scored three good goals and kept a clean sheet.

But for goodness sake, don't praise those players because they start to believe their own hype and they'll go and get a bad result next week.

Obviously, some of the players who have come in have made a difference.

Hayden Mullins scored a very good goal, and Jimmy Spencer's was good too.

They just need to keep their heads down and get on with the next game, because you just hope they can keep it up.

They've got a bit of confidence now but they still have to go out and do the job next week.

They are still in bother but that win has moved them away from the relegation zone a bit.

For any team down there, if you get a win, then it is a big result.

In the past, we've seen Notts struggle sometimes because every time they have a good result they've then had a bad result.

I'd like to see them come out and go do the same again.

They're not safe at the moment, not by a long way. There's still a long way to go in the season and a lot of teams will get crazy results.

This year, they've had a couple of good results and then not backed it up.

I don't know if the players haven't been putting the effort in. If they do put the effort in, then they've shown that's what they can do.

If they don't put the effort in, they get hammered. And they've had a few hammerings this year. At times, they've not even looked like a team.

That's not down to the manager; he's as keen as a kid. It's all down to the players and whether they perform when they cross the white line.

They've not really done that consistently this year, that's why they're in a mess.

Read More: Article

i did not think mullins was very defensive, he would always step back or off players. he looked better going forward and he make great connection with the header. i agree the new players add a bit of what we lacked, spencer for his age shows a good sign of theres more to come.

I have to say if they continue to play like they did against Coventry, I would say I agree. They shown their experience (Mullins/Roberts) and Spencer shown his desire. Quite a skillful lad, always trying and most of the time it worked.

After being released you would expect Spencer to be down but he shined.

Roberts reminds me of Jack Russell, better players would get around him but he makes his ground up and gets stuck in. Mullins did step off players, yet he would run to intercept passes. This is where his knowledge of the game will help us, as there's many times one of the players could pick up a ball if they tried but often don't. Derry's shown he knows where we needed support :D 

I think they just need to settle in.

You cant judge them by one game, it must be after several but they are bedding in well. They might just be the missing part of the puzzle.

Spot on. However, they provided the much needed balance,shape, spark and quality that we have been lacking. If Showumni and Fotheringham had played then ?I very much doubt that we would have won that game at all. Spencer did everything our forwards to date have failed to do and Mullins was always available, used the ball well, didn't make silly errors in critical areas - in short, they were both exceptional and have set a very high benchmark to live up to. Roberts was ok, he had decent positional sense, a bit of pace and he did his job effectively enough, no complaints there.

Spot on. However, they provided the much needed balance,shape, spark and quality that we have been lacking. If Showumni and Fotheringham had played then ?I very much doubt that we would have won that game at all. Spencer did everything our forwards to date have failed to do and Mullins was always available, used the ball well, didn't make silly errors in critical areas - in short, they were both exceptional and have set a very high benchmark to live up to. Roberts was ok, he had decent positional sense, a bit of pace and he did his job effectively enough, no complaints there.

After listening to the commentary, agreed. I for one was calling for a change in formation. What did occur was a change in the way the experience and hunger was brought to bear on the game. Mullins seems to be an inspired signing for me. He is filling the role we have been lacking all season. Up front, well done Jimmy. Reviews seem to suggest that he not only played well, but offered the dimension we have been lacking for a while. No complaints here with Enoch or Fotheringham being dropped if the team competes more.

The formation worked on saturday, the new players are settling and each player gave something to the match. It was like watching the old notts, you knew that 100% would be given.

Its good that its working in some games but I dont think we should stick to one formation solely.

It will only be after a period of time we will know for sure but they impressed me, i drove back home very happy and my match day experience was spot on. Mullins look robust enough and made several good runs, he picked up a lot of the play. Roberts made up when he got caught out and his passing usually was spot on! Spencer looked the real deal upfront and he seems to suite the system. The new players fitted in like they have been apart of the side all season, so it should get better if we do as a squad.

I think Over the last week in training Derry & Abbott must have known who was going to be the main 11 going into the game. 

Credit where it's due. I don't mean to harp on it, but  please don't play Fotheringhassm or Enoch again, it's in our best interests.  

If Mullins and Spencer play like they did on Saturday then I would tend to agree. Lets not throw Enoch out just yet though. Joe's only just sorted my signature out for me!!!

Looks like I'll need a new one if this continues Joe. I would go with Freeman or JCR on current form I think. I really hope K Freeman is here past the summer. This would be a massive signing for the management team, just like Mullins is now, but that can only be short term unfortunately.

If Mullins and Spencer play like they did on Saturday then I would tend to agree. Lets not throw Enoch out just yet though. Joe's only just sorted my signature out for me!!!

Looks like I'll need a new one if this continues Joe. I would go with Freeman or JCR on current form I think. I really hope K Freeman is here past the summer. This would be a massive signing for the management team, just like Mullins is now, but that can only be short term unfortunately.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, Enoch usually bounces back and forces his way into the line up. I can see him being a great super sub and occasional starter! @weymouthPIE used to say this about a certain player, I used to agree.

Who was he again Wey? Oh yeah... ;)

i did not think mullins was very defensive, he would always step back or off players. he looked better going forward and he make great connection with the header. i agree the new players add a bit of what we lacked, spencer for his age shows a good sign of theres more to come.

I agree with you liampie, he was not the most defensive player on the field but he played well.

Spencer will need to live up to this rep, I think he played well but i just hope it does not get to him. The teams settling and it was the response we needed after walsall. Personally i am unsure about roberts, he seemed asleep at times.

Archived