Tony Hackworth

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Who remembers him? What a waste of money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  2

Colin Slater’s harsh remarks are not likely to win him respect from Tony Hackworth. This kind of frankness is something that’s missing from today’s journalists, who often seem too eager to please the players.

• Like 8

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I was there for Hackworth's debut, a pre season friendly at East Fife.

He scored ... but I never rated him on that appearance or subsequent appearances. £ for £, Notts's worst ever signing... eclipsing Agana's purchase price

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

After my Grandather Ray died in 2000 I wasn't that much in the loop with watching games. I had started playing Championship Manager, which would later go on to become the Football Manager series. Tony Hackworth wasn't that bad on it.

However, since doing PON I have had many comments about bad players expressed to me and Tony Hackworth tends to be one. I actually liked Tony Agana @Piethagoram, but I was a young kid watching him. I think the idea about signing someone like Hackworth was ambitious, but ultimately the wrong choice. The money could have been spent on two players that could have yielded better results.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

I do remember him, but not much about what he achieved at Notts. I recall thinking that the money spent was a waste. Leeds United must have been pleased with the deal, but sadly, the funds could have been used more wisely.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1,095
  • Days Won:  2

Things could be worse. Will Randall didn’t exactly shine at Meadow Lane. At least Tony Hackworth scored twice and made a good number of appearances. If we had paid £120k for Randall, who never had the same opportunity, I would be upset now.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i started following notts after his arrival but it seems like a lot of money for the club to spending on one player. was it the early 00s where notts had a lot of financial issues? i feel sorry for him, because its the person who signed him who should be pointed at but i cant help but think it played part in our money troubles.

again not tony hackworths fault, i am sure he tried.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, liampie said:

i started following notts after his arrival but it seems like a lot of money for the club to spending on one player. was it the early 00s where notts had a lot of financial issues?

Yes. Our owner at the time was a guy called Albert Scardino, who gambled huge amounts of money trying to get the club into what's now the Championship on the assumption he would be able to get loans and also television money from ITV Digital. Except ITV Digital went bankrupt and the loans never materialised. We ended up in administration for 18 months and we never really managed to snap out of cycle of financial and other off-field problems until 2019.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  144

One might say, he didn’t live up to what he was hack’d up to be. He exerted effort, which we can’t criticise, but his signing was unwise and put the club at risk. None of it was his fault, but he seemed overwhelmed even with us. I think he had some success in the lower tiers of the Non League, but this turned out to be a costly lesson.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  17

17 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

I was there for Hackworth's debut, a pre season friendly at East Fife.

He scored ... but I never rated him on that appearance or subsequent appearances. £ for £, Notts's worst ever signing... eclipsing Agana's purchase price

I was at that East Fife game. The only ground I've ever been to where there was a huge electrical power station down one side instead of a stand. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I was at that East Fife game. The only ground I've ever been to where there was a huge electrical power station down one side instead of a stand. 

Notts weren't exactly "electric" that day :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Haha 1