Something for Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It must have been thrilling to witness this achievement. I believed that Macaulay Langstaff would be the one to score over 100 goals, perhaps even breaking Les Bradd’s all-time record.

@Fan of Big Tone

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

On this day, in 1971, Tony Hateley surpassed Jackie Sewell as Notts County’s leading scorer with his 105th goal in a 2-1 defeat to Bolton Wanderers. The 1971/72 season was Hateley’s last at Meadow...
  • Love 8

• Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

You can't see me but I would have been behind Big Tone's upper back on the back step of the front terrace, my favourite place at the time.

I always got in early to ensure I got my place in those days.

We had just got promoted the previous year and hopes were high that we could make waves the following season.

We just missed out coming third. No playoffs then.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Ah yes the great man, thanks @TheSkipper I would definitely be there somewhere, I think in that season I would have been to most matches at home and away.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

• Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It must have been a special moment when he scored and broke the record. Tony Hateley seems to be a highly respected former player who fans of his generation's football truly admire. It's an opportunity for those who were unable to witness his greatness to see and understand what Hateley meant to them.

• Like 7

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  628
  • Days Won:  1

He sounds like a great player in Notts County's history, what an achievement! Was this during his second spell at the club?

• Like 7

• Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@BlakeYes, the photo was taken during his second spell with Notts.

• Like 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  494

We had many great strikers when Tony Hateley was around, but he was also a class act off the pitch. There’s a reason why fans admire him. He’s a legend at Liverpool and Mr Notts County here. I wasn’t lucky enough to see him play, but his status is legendary.

• Like 6

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355

His return to Notts County felt very encouraging. He was a fantastic player in terms of ability, and although he had started to lose some pace, he could still score goals. He was a very clever footballer, with everything you want in a striker. A true hero of Meadow Lane, his time with us is something we will always remember.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

one of my favourite alumni articles is that of tony hateley, it told me all i needed and i can see why he made a lasting impression on fans like @Fan of Big Tone.

• Like 5

Supporter+
1 hour ago, liampie said:

one of my favourite alumni articles is that of tony hateley, it told me all i needed and i can see why he made a lasting impression on fans like @Fan of Big Tone.

@liampie I do feel a bit sad for younger fans like yourself who never had chance to watch some of the great legends of the past like Big Tone, Masson, Les Bradd, Tommy Johnson etc. etc. but thanks to articles and posts on here you can get a sense of how great they were and hopefully when old fogeys like me pass on to that great football stadium in the sky and you are an old fogey you’ll be telling stories of the great players you’ve seen pull on the black and white stripes.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

@Fan of Big Tonei love reading fans thoughts on former players, its the best education you can get when you have not seen them play. stories might be projected a little taller, due to the pride and nostalgia but that just makes it even better.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

Tony Hateley will always be remembered for his goalscoring ability. He was a complete forward in the old-fashioned sense. His second time at Notts felt like a great homecoming. I wasn't there for his first time, but I've heard many stories from my family about how good he was with his feet and head.

• Like 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Tony Hateley was a name my grandfather often mentioned; he would tell me about the likes of him and Tommy Lawton. It's hard to picture as a young kid, how Notts fortunes had changed and why we weren't a bigger club despite having some of the finest players in the game. Hateley was more than a traditional forward; he was very good at attacking teams and only needs a sight of goal to have a chance.

My grandfather said he was brilliant at striking the ball first time and had a habit of doing well with his head.

• Like 1

Supporter+

He was certainly good with his head, he could leap like a salmon head and shoulders above defenders, if you put a good ball in the box you knew there was a good chance Hateley would stick his head on it and score.

Playing football as a kid on the local rec we used to say “stick it on my Hateley” the word Hateley became another name for your head.