Josh Vela on loan

cheeky~k8

Dougie Freedman confident Josh Vela will benefit from loan spell at Notts County

2676964.jpg?type=articlePortrait

JOSH Vela went headlong into a relegation scrap with Notts County yesterday with a glowing recommendation from his manager at Wanderers.

Dougie Freedman has sent the combative young midfielder out to help his old Crystal Palace team-mate Shaun Derry, who is trying to lift the Magpies out of the bottom four in League One.

And the Scot has no doubt that it is an arrangement that can suit both parties perfectly.

“Whether they are at the bottom of the league or not isn’t my issue,” he said.

“I have to think of the club and this is a chance to get Josh playing some proper league football.

“He’ll be in the trenches, so let’s see what he’s made of.

“This decision is all about his development because if I was thinking of myself then I’d keep him around to sit in the stands, or on the bench, and try and get him games here or there.

“But where Josh is right now he needs to show he can handle games, so the best thing for our football club and for the lad himself is to get out there and see how he handles himself.”

Read the full article here

Interesting. Never heard of this lad until this week.

He sounds as tho' he is more if a prospect than a "shoe in" first choice for us. With having Grealish & McGregor already this is a very brave signing. How many raw youngsters do you really want/need? Doubt he'll start tomorrow but we'll see.

Welcome aboard & good luck to him.

He's quite highly regarded.

They rejected a bid for him supposedly, I think it was from someone like Liverpool or Chelsea. Really young promising player! Quite excited about the signing but I have to be honest, I am concerned about the level of loanees we have. Obviously it just means some will be missed and of course add strength, yet I believe unity right now would help us.

Let's see what Josh can do. Hey @anonypie ;)

Does this mean SD has Mullins down as CB for the rest of the season as it seems Vela plays a similar role to him?

Hope not. bring Manny back. At least he might be with us next season!

Too many loans now, but at least it means Fothers is on the way out,

Does this mean SD has Mullins down as CB for the rest of the season as it seems Vela plays a similar role to him?

Hope not. bring Manny back. At least he might be with us next season!

Too many loans now, but at least it means Fothers is on the way out,

I hope not, he did okay at Tranmere and made many key interceptions but I felt he looked well out of position. I'd rather see Liddle returns their, he's not really contribute much but time obviously needs to be given for him coming back. I think he could be a rock at the back, whereas for each good piece of defending Mullins does, he does something else like getting caught out of position.

Hollis handled it well and after a period, they switched to Mullins side, where he seemed to struggle with pace and skill.

Interesting. Never heard of this lad until this week.

He sounds as tho' he is more if a prospect than a "shoe in" first choice for us. With having Grealish & McGregor already this is a very brave signing. How many raw youngsters do you really want/need? Doubt he'll start tomorrow but we'll see.

Welcome aboard & good luck to him.

If he don't start, he will be on the bench, along with all the fans who have signed up for season tickets.

There is our experience.

Not required but welcome regardless.

I hope he helps you climb away from your current position.

Yes, he had a very solid debut. He showed composure and vision.

He was also determined, robust and comfortable on the ball. When he did misplace a pass or over run the ball he actually battled to win it back. He has skill and grit - early days but he does actually look a "shoe in" tbh. Together with Liddle he forms a balanced and robust central partnership that also provides style and creativity.

It sounds like he did OK.He'll be a bit more settled in by Tuesday so this might help him.

That would be nice and if he plays,Nathan Tyson too.

Fingers crossed he can, if we could just fit McGregor in and around 'team' play. I think our midfield could be a rock right now, he adds creativity and different style of thinking.

I agree, but in our current situation, we don't want to rock the boat. We seem quite steady with Saturdays team at 442 and I would hate for that to go just when they are getting the results we needed a long time ago. 

Great player, but a luxury we cant really afford at the mo. Long term I'd also prefer us to stick with players who night be here next season, regardless of division.

Vela showed what the midfield has been lacking and with Lids back they seem solid. JCR and Grealish or Murray down the other wing with two mobile strikers means were hopefully going in the right direction.

Then again we could get thrashed tonight so what do I know?!

• 4 weeks later...

Staying until the end of the season.

He has been a real asset. Provides balance - steel/grit coupled with ability to beat a man, spot a pass and he has looked comfortable alongside Liddle.

Our improved fortunes, better displays & results are no coincidence. Glad he's here for he duration, quality player in the making.

Staying until the end of the season.

He has been a real asset. Provides balance - steel/grit coupled with ability to beat a man, spot a pass and he has looked comfortable alongside Liddle.

Our improved fortunes, better displays & results are no coincidence. Glad he's here for he duration, quality player in the making.

Yes, this is good news.

He keeps a calm head and when he does make mistakes (which is only natural), he will track back and support in reclaiming the ball. Yet for me it's his passing which is the real asset, he isn't afraid to mix things up. Good signing!

Archived