Favourite Childrens Programmes

Chris

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

Lol Its funny @super_ram, at least you know i'm joking too :angel::frantics:

Anyway... Is there any other childrens programmes you liked that i have heard of :ermm:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

K8,I know a lot of childrens programmes I DON'T like.Funnily enough the grandkids,generally ,don't like them either.

You must remember that when I was Jake's age there was only BBC1,so only limited kids programmes.In fact it was limited adult programmes too with close down about 10.30pm and an epilogue(time to switch off)

I keep trying to remember what I looked forward to watching but don't remember too much that I actually l LIKED.My parents used to put the TV for me and my sister to watch at tea-time but most didn't interest me.It wasn't till the BBC got competition from ITV around 1957 that I had a choice.

There was only 4 channels when i was younger then channel 5 was announced, but there wasn't very much on that channel to be bothered about. The ones i remember most are the ones i had on video. Makes us all feel old when things we used to like are near enough gone.

Just thought of another programme that I'm quite surprised hasn't been mentioned bearing in mind the local connections-Robin Hood starring Richard Greene. I suppose it's too far back for most members. :shocked:

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Just thought of another programme that I'm quite surprised hasn't been mentioned bearing in mind the local connections-Robin Hood starring Richard Greene. I suppose it's too far back for most members. :shocked:

I am old enough to remember Robin Hood with Richard Green. Also Ivanhoe.

And William Telll?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

And William Telll?

Yes, that's another one.

Ah the memories come flooding back. Lying on the floor of our 2 up 2 down terrace house (which was just off Meadow Lane) in front of a coal fire watching a small black and white telly, whilst me mam was filling the tin bath from the kettle in the kitchen ready for my bath. No bathroom, central heating or inside toilet in them days.

Eeeee but we were happy. I feel an hovis advert coming on. :lol:

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  207
  • Days Won:  1

Does anyone remember Windy Miller? It's one of the first things I remember, used to rerun without it becoming like today tv. It reminded me of another later programme about a very clever acorn I believe who could fix things, I can't remember for the life of me the title.

I remember it, i don't think i saw much of it. Saw it a little more after searching kids programs when i was older though, there wasnt the internet when i was younger (yeah its not been years and years since the internet started, but it seems like its been available for longer).

THE INTERNET? I was 6 years old when we first had a TV .Then only BBC, a very small screen and black and white and only broadcasting part time with regular breakdowns(test card , Potters Wheel.)  Not many houses had a phone ,never mind a mobile phone.No one had fridges, microwaves and not many had washing machines or vacuum cleaners.Then there was the outside toilets(which Tony Hateley refers to somewhere else on this site)There's loads of things that seem to have been around forever that we take for granted.Yes ,Tony and all,  Hovis advert (or Tony Capstick) time)

I know you mentioned the tv thing before. We all do take alot for granted now, especially the younger generation.

We are having to be old fashioned and fill the bath up with boiled water for adults to have a warm enough bath at the moment because the boilers been playing up for months and you only get luke warm(warm enough for the kids) water out of it (needs servicing for sure).

My grandad still had an outside toilet joined onto to his house when he died, the people who brought the house probably got rid of it.

I used to have a potters wheel when i was younger, i didn't get into it very much as i kept taking chunks out of the edges.

I'm sure theres something we all still do now thats old fashioned. Washing the pots is one, although most people have dishwashers.

Actually K8,I don't know anyone who has a dishwasher . I DO know you have one on a Sunday-ME :hyper:

Does anyone still have a coal fire? I remember when I was young and my dad was on the wrong shift, getting up to a really freezing cold house in winter. :brr:  When he was on the day shift he would leave a lovely,warm fire for us to get up to.

You are not here after 4pm to wash the pots for me, so you are a dishwasher for the 4 hours you are here :ermm: . My parents used to have one, i assume they still do. Alot of parents seem to talk about kitchen essentials alot and mention dishwashers quite abit.(bit of a weird conversation in my opinion though, each to their own). My Uncle used to have a coal fire and a log fire, but hes now moved to america so i have no idea what he has now. Everyone has gas and electric fire nowadays or no fire like us, :twitch:  although when we have the money we do want to get an electric fire, just not one of those that look like a flat screen tv.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I loved the movie 'The Brave Little Toaster' as a child, I watched it with Jake and he was unimpressed. I didn't recall the songs, I was a little disappointed but when you're a child you see so much more but wiser. (hopefully in my case) I cried my eyes out when I were in infants when the teacher (just after nursery) decided to make us all watch Bambie (which I hated then) really depressing and of course Land Before Time, both sharing the loss of their mother.

My mum means the world to me, so at that age it was a scary thought and even is now. (same for Super Ram) :heart:

When I was in the infants the whole school was taken to one of our local cinemas in Alfreton to see Bambi. I still remember most of the girls and a lot of the boys  crying their eyes out and having to be consoled by the teachers. I myself didn't cry but was upset.

I think when i watched Bambi i was upset, but i don't think i cried either. I've never really like Land before time, so that didn't bother me.

The kids like land before time though.

Another similar Disney tear jerker was Old Yeller about a dog. I saw it about 1958 and really enjoyed it as an 11 year old.

There is quite a few old disney tear jerkers, but they don't seem to do many anymore. They all seem to have happy endings and be all nice. Obviously they don't want to upset kids, but i think they are too protective nowadays.

There aren't many childrens films that appeal to both kids and adults. Children seem to enjoy adult adventure films anyway.Films like Superman and Spiderman come to mind.

Yes the adventure ones are more appealing as they have more of an interesting story. I wished they brought out some more films that would interest both adults and kids... it would encourage more families to go to the cinema if the film is that good. There isn't many nowadays.

A family trip to the cinema is quite expensive nowadays and can be disappointing as the films aren't always as good as you're hoping for.

• Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

It has to be Bill and Ben and Muffin The Mule.

First watched these at Grandmother's house in South East London. TV had a magnifying glass fitted to enlarge the screen.

Local football club was Millwall.

Back to sleep now!

Mickey-look at the second page of this topic for my comments on Bill and Ben.Do you remember Whirligig with Hank the cowboy and Mr. Turnip? I think it was about 1954 on Saturdays and also ,what about The Cisco Kid(and Pancho)

• Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

Peter Butterworth, Humphrey Lestocq (?) and the Quatermass serials watched from behind the sofa. We have become old Super Ram.

It's funny you should mention Quatermass as it came up in conversation a couple of days ago .No one else in our family had heard of it ,only me.So I guess I am old.

When I was about 6 or 7 and was being looked after by my grandparents for the weekend I watched Quatermass at my cousins house. When it finished I ran back to my grandparents,  a few houses away, as fast as I could. My grandparents didn't have electricity at the time and their lighting was by gas.When it came to going to bed my grandmother lit a candle and took me upstairs. The flickering shadows caused by the candle and my imagination fuelled by the earlier Quatermas episode scared me no end .I couldn't wait for the following Saturday to watch Quatermass again though. :rolleyes:

Archived