SmartPHONES?!?!?!

Chris

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Okay, so @grannypies phone's been playing up, it's at the stage she isn't really using it much.

Myself and @cheeky~k8 have a chat, we both agree that buying her a new one for her birthday/Christmas present would be a nice idea. Since both myself and Cheeky regularly chat to her within the day, we felt a new handset would allow us to do this better whilst being easier for granny.

BIG MISTAKE.

The phone arrived the other day, being technically minded I decided to remove all the unwanted apps from the device. However, once the phone restarted they reappeared! Now this annoyed me!!

I decided to look up, a suggestion for the handset was perform a factory reset.

DEAR GOD NO!!!!

Something so ***dy straight forward, just a simple factory reset and the phone goes pear shaped!!

I tell myself it's not that bad, I can fix it. I'm also the sort of person who doesn't quit, so I know after some time I will have succeeded. TODAY IS THAT DAY!!

The past x days I tried various ways to fix the system and the IMEI of the handset which had become corrupted, yet finally it's all over.

Literally I've tried various flashing methods, apps, PC programs, restoring. My laptops full of these things now! Haha! Though all this was worth it, especially when I hand over the phone knowing Granny will not have any problems. A word to warn people, don't factory reset smartphones without backing up the handset before hand! (even though I did) make sure that the phone doesn't corrupt them.

So, what are you getting your loved one for Christmas? A new mobile? ;)

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Hope the phone wasn't a surprise or that is a real doh moment!

What point are you trying to make there? @hissingdwarf ;)

No surprise, it was until it arrived.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Its funny you should say

So, what are you getting your loved one for Christmas? A new mobile? ;)

It's funny you should say that @notts-joe, I was indeed thinking of getting Mrs. H a new mobile. She's got a Samsung Galaxy Ace which has been ok up to now but all of a sudden she is getting messages saying someone is trying to send a text but there isn't enough memory. I've been looking on line and it seems lots of people are complaining about the same phone with much the same problems.

I'd like to buy her an iphone the same as mine but they are so expensive but it would be the sensible answer because we both have a Macintosh computer and the phone would be compatible.

Anyone know of a decent phone that's got a bit of memory for her apps, photos, emails etc., without me having to spend an arm and a leg?

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

@notts-joe you wont be doing that again. lol

@liampie

I've done similar things many times, not that it's my fault. Some phones are just naturally awkward when it comes to these things, my mistake was not checking the backup I had made. :P

It could have been worse though.

Its funny you should say

It's funny you should say that @notts-joe, I was indeed thinking of getting Mrs. H a new mobile. She's got a Samsung Galaxy Ace which has been ok up to now but all of a sudden she is getting messages saying someone is trying to send a text but there isn't enough memory. I've been looking on line and it seems lots of people are complaining about the same phone with much the same problems.

I'd like to buy her an iphone the same as mine but they are so expensive but it would be the sensible answer because we both have a Macintosh computer and the phone would be compatible.

Anyone know of a decent phone that's got a bit of memory for her apps, photos, emails etc., without me having to spend an arm and a leg?

I know many phones for budgets, all of which compete with the big and expensive boys.

What type of camera? Obviously decent but are mega pixels important?? Would you prefer 2gb ram? Quad core? These are pretty much my bare minimum. I'm also assuming Mrs H avoids contracts (which is a smart move).

Let me know the specs required and I'll provide you a list. :)

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Its funny you should say

Oh no. He's an Apple person. Boo hiss says hd and Bill Gates!!!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

The only type of Mac I know, is the type you wear on a railway platform :angel:

Supporter+

@liampie

I've done similar things many times, not that it's my fault. Some phones are just naturally awkward when it comes to these things, my mistake was not checking the backup I had made. :P

It could have been worse though.

I know many phones for budgets, all of which compete with the big and expensive boys.

What type of camera? Obviously decent but are mega pixels important?? Would you prefer 2gb ram? Quad core? These are pretty much my bare minimum. I'm also assuming Mrs H avoids contracts (which is a smart move).

Let me know the specs required and I'll provide you a list. :)

She does use her phone camera so it is pretty important that she can get half decent photos to post in Facebook etc but she's no David Bailey. She browses the net, uses a few apps and does have quite a few emails coming in sometimes with large attachments.

She is with Virgin and wants to stay with them because she has an amazing deal so it would have to be unlocked sim free. Cheers for any info.

Supporter+

Oh no. He's an Apple person. Boo hiss says hd and Bill Gates!!!

I've always been an apple person after using macintoshes at work in the printing industry. I have had windows lap tops and for me there is no comparison, Macs are far more user friendly, stable and largely free from virus attack. I just wish they were less expensive but if you want quality you have to pay for it.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I feel for you @notts-joe, smartphones come loaded with shovelware nowadays. Samsung phones are particularly bad for it. I've got a Galaxy S3 and, although I'm happy with it, there were a lot of unnecessary apps pre-installed on it. I uninstalled all I could and disabled the rest, only for them to reappear with the next update! It's annoying but unfortunately there's not much you can do about it.

I've factory resetted phones and tablets several times (obviously after putting all my data onto an SD card) and never had a problem. None of these were Samsungs though.

@tonyhateley if you want to save money, just stay a generation behind. I paid €80 one-off for my Galaxy S3, my wife has a Galaxy S5, which is virtually identical, and it costs her something like €25 a month for two years. And you have the advantage that any initial software problems have already been ironed out through updates. Just don't go for a handset that's too old as it might struggle to cope with the latest apps - that's the problem I had with the HTC One V, a superb phone which sadly struggled to cope with running Facebook, Viber and Whatsapp in the background.

@tonyhateley - Sony Xperia M2's go online from around £120-150

It's a quad core phone (clocked at 1.2 I think, so it's 1.2 x 4), 1gb ram and 8mp camera. Full Specs

There's tones of Motorola handsets which are quite good, which I would recommend but they don't hold sd cards. This is something which is a killer for me, however Iphones don't so these might be an option.

Avoid Windows phones like the plague.

I'll compile a proper list and post it later, it might be around 10pm. Driving lesson, physio and some forum event today :P;)

Supporter+

Cheers folks, the Sony Xperia sound good, I might look into that one.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I had the Sony Xperia Z1 that went missing after a few too many pints. RIP.

I now have the Sony Xperia Z2, which I still like. The Samsung range are always a decent bet, and the HTC's are pretty decent too. As long as it's not an Apple which will cost you double the price for the same, if not, less specs and performance. 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

@notts-joe you wont be doing that again. lol

He will do it again and again :P

@tonyhateley he will give you a massive list later :P

Supporter+

He will do it again and again :P