Camera in care homes

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Guidelines are being issued for putting hidden cameras in care homes. Apparently these cameras can be installed in an old persons room with their permission or if they can't give their permission then it has to be in their best interests.

What do you think? I reckon its a good idea because carer's have been caught abusing the elderly and anything that can stop this is good but the privacy of the elderly person and any visitors ought to be considered too.

I know when my mum was in a home we were very suspicious of some of the things that went on but couldn't prove anything, mum had dementia and would say things that we weren't sure really happened or whether it was her dementia so a hidden camera would have been very comforting for us. She fell and broke her hip and this led to ultimately to her death, it was never fully explained how it had happened so some video footage could have put our minds at rest.

I'm sure @notts-joe will have a view on this.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

Yes, its a good idea, in view of what we've been seeing in the news lately. But, then there is the issue of privacy at visiting times, isn't there. Not sure what could happen with that to be honest. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I think it's inevitable. With Dash Cams the latest thing to Gain a convition in Court, then these would be invalueable

The most scrutiny must be placed with Kids & the Elderly. Cameras in every place of work with these folk.

Then the would might be a better place.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I thought it was families putting them in... if so there is no problem... it isnt beyond the realms that a family member could be harming also...

Where there is a doubt... put one in

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The cameras are a good idea, however I don't think it's fair if you do unless suspect mistreatment or theft (along those lines).

People will just start to install without good reason really, it might sound cruel but the best way is to actually be there. That's one problem for me, family members tend to just stick them in the home and forget about them. Also, sometimes it's because of the quality of care - places are rammed and staff try their best but sometimes fail. I hate seeing abuse of any form, so the cameras are a good way to witness what happens when you're not around but really if you suspect something be there and move them out early as possible.

Yes, you can speak to staff but if they're being abused it's best to move in my opinion.

That's the only way homes take notice because they need the money. So, really cameras should only be a last resort.

If you see bruises, or they're unhappy do some digging! Start turning up at different times, without a pattern and speak to staff. Install cameras if concerns extremely high...

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

My mam was in a care home and one thing I noticed when visiting her was how the general atmosphere was different depending on the staff on duty.I think carers have to be a bit special and....,well...,'care'.The staff I came in contact with all seemed to do their job well but some of them had that extra something.The conclusion I came to is that  caring was just a job to some but meant a bit more to others,they really did care.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Not for me, it shows how the industries regulators are failing and its them who need to step up. Along with the homes, cameras are a short term answer.

Archived