Should drivers have an upper age limit

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

After taking grandson to school I stopped at an island waiting to turn right when I felt and heard a bang, looking back I saw a car had shunted into the back of me so I got out to inspect the damage, there was a really old couple in the car who didn't look the least perturbed and didn't get out of their car. I asked him to reverse away from my bumper so I could inspect the damage and he had difficulty in engaging the gear and moving backwards, luckily there was no damage so I went to tell him it was ok and no damage done, I felt sorry for him he looked about 90 and was clearly unfit to drive properly because he didn't quite look "with it" and in my opinion a danger to himself and others.

I asked him if he was ok and he said he was so I carried on home but it got me thinking is there an upper limit for drivers before they are deemed to be unfit? If not perhaps there should be or at least a compulsory test every year after a certain age, I'm no spring chicken myself but I hope I know and recognise when the time has come to hang up my driving gloves.

What do others think?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Most definitely. I think the idea of a regular test is a good one, but how many of us now would pass? It's fine when you pass but I'm sure we've all got bad habits that aren't strictly by the test now. Most people consider themselves good drivers, but it is an interesting one tbh. Didn't the rac produce some reset saying at least 30% of all drivers would fail if asked to be tested 10 years after passing originally?

Plus I know I wouldn't pass the parallel parking now as I just press park assist in mine and it does it for me!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

No to an age limit. It should be down to how competent a driver you are. If you are still competent at 95, then good luck to you!

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

As part of my duties in my last job I had to drive a forklift and we were tested every 3 years before our licence was renewed irrespective of age or experience.

Supporter+

Most definitely. I think the idea of a regular test is a good one, but how many of us now would pass? It's fine when you pass but I'm sure we've all got bad habits that aren't strictly by the test now. Most people consider themselves good drivers, but it is an interesting one tbh. Didn't the rac produce some reset saying at least 30% of all drivers would fail if asked to be tested 10 years after passing originally?

Plus I know I wouldn't pass the parallel parking now as I just press park assist in mine and it does it for me!

I'm sure you are right, as you say we all develop bad habits, perhaps not a normal driving test but maybe a test to see how fast your reactions are and how good your eyesight is and a drive around with an examiner who could assess you and judge whether you are fit to drive after a certain age.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't agree, I think it should only occur for people above a certain age to have regular checks.

By this I mean someone watches them from within the car, they're given a chance to improve (even if they fail badly) - If they don't improve than they should have their licences revoked. It shouldn't be like a proper driving test, more about safety because someone who's mature enough should always have the common sense which some young teens will never have.

I have a really problem with people going down the root of removing peoples transport, my mums father was the safest driver I have been around.

He drove right up to the point he was hospitalized with cancer, he actually drove me and my brother despite being swollen and large, yet still he was safer than anybody. My dad's dad on the other, I hated being a passenger in his car - He either drove very, very slowly or fast and both made me feel very on edge because he had reached the point whereby he wasn't all that safe.

Yet I believe if he had support he would have been able to be safer, I think some of it was the car he had wasn't the right model for him at that stage in his life.

I've been driving under instruction/assistance and now by myself for the past few weeks (with limited input by my instructor). Only a couple of times have I seen bad elderly drivers, the majority are teens and middle aged men who don't care to follow rules.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

We moved to this bungalow nearly three years ago and I am just getting a photo licence in time to renew on my 70th birthday early next year! It seems you can self certificate your health to obtain a renewal.

I do not enjoy driving as much now and take the bus, walk or cycle whenever possible. I am taken to matches by my son and his friend.

I hope I would know when I should stop, and having read earlier posts, may well ask a friend to take a drive as my passenger and ask for an honest assessment.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

We moved to this bungalow nearly three years ago and I am just getting a photo licence in time to renew on my 70th birthday early next year! It seems you can self certificate your health to obtain a renewal.

I do not enjoy driving as much now and take the bus, walk or cycle whenever possible. I am taken to matches by my son and his friend.

I hope I would know when I should stop, and having read earlier posts, may well ask a friend to take a drive as my passenger and ask for an honest assessment.

A good idea  @medievalmickey.it would give you a better idea of your driving standard and dispel or confirm any self doubt  you may have.Unfortunately not everyone is a sensible as you.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I believe older drivers should have to take a competency test... not so much.the text book test we initially took... but just to show they can be safe..

I wonder if there are still any out there driving who never actually passed a test

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

My old photo licence expires when I hit 70. However, when I changed to a German licence the expiry date vanished, meaning I'll be able to control a vehicle long after I cease being able to control my bladder.

This is not a good thing. A friend of a friend was killed when his bike was hit by a car - the driver was over 90 years old and didn't even realise he was there. I'm for regular testing after 70 and a blanket ban some time afterwards (80?) along with improved public transport infrastructure.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i think it depends on the drivers, yet if the police notice bad driving they should do something about it and enforce checks on any age. nobody stops at traffic lights much these days, zebra crossing you are lucky not to get ran over and very few bloody signal. its not just the elderly, men and women. i think once you hit 70, you should be regularly assessed but then where would they get the money to do that from?

Supporter+

i think once you hit 70, you should be regularly assessed but then where would they get the money to do that from?

If a law was passed to that affect then you would pay for it yourself just as you do a driving test, if you don't want to be asessed you lose your driving licence.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

If a law was passed to that affect then you would pay for it yourself just as you do a driving test, if you don't want to be asessed you lose your driving licence.

Perhaps re-do the driving test but I do agree with assessments afterwards but they should be fairer priced. I don't think becoming like Hitler about it would be smart, if someone is fine that's that.

Archived