Notts County's first choice strike partnership?

Joe Jones

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

Adam Campbell scored a blinder against Blackburn on Sunday, but with Jonathan Forte, Graham Burke, Jon Stead, Izale McLeod and on loan Vadaine Oliver all pushing for places up front, who will start against Yeovil and who can you see being the established pairing throughout the season?

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I think Campbell and forte might surprise a few people.  

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  1

I think Stead and Forte if fit will start on sat, still think lzale might come good this season if JS can get him motivated!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,998
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I have frequently said to various people that I would like to see Campbell play up top, however he does do well on the wing where his pace can be more of an asset when you are chasing a game or looking to break.

Despite the feedback I have had, or comments made via online - he does have the ability to be a very good goalscorer.

He just chokes when it comes to shooting, either taking too long to shoot or over thinks it but he's a very promising player. I hope John Sheridan allows him to rotate between the wing and upfront, see where he settles and then play him there when possible.

However, I think @wacky hits the nail on the head.

Forte has the pace, Stead has the ability and eye for goal (from distance). I really think they'll be very effective, with Izale remaining on the bench until he motivates himself. Just think if all three could find their game heads and find the chemistry to help each other - we would have someone off the field available to come on that make actually make a difference.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Some interesting variants available all can play a vital part but agree also with @wacky and think Stead and Forte will be the preferred pairing , and i think I would go for that as my preferred choice . COYP 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @TheCalFoster

Stead and Forte all day for me. Campbell needs to work on his shooting and come consistent in his finishing before he even dreams about playing up front. Snijders and Forte would be a very pacey attack that intrigues me, as does a Forte and Mcleod attack..

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Got to be Forte and Stead together, against Walsall you could see the partnership blossoming

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Izzy will get 20 goals this season.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,512
  • Days Won:  9

We say this now!! Come a couple of games later, we may be saying Stead and the wonder loan signing.

Or just scratching our heads and wondering!!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

21 minutes ago, upthepies said:

We say this now!! Come a couple of games later, we may be saying Stead and the wonder loan signing.

Or just scratching our heads and wondering!!

This! It's all guesswork right now. But it's good that we've got options. It'll be interesting to see how the pieces of the puzzle fit together.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,775
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Strike force thoughts and predictions

Stead and Forte to start v Yeovil and establish themselves as the number 1 strike force

Oliver, I already worry about... no pre season at York as he was wanting away...one questions his professional attitude on the back of that

Campbell... make or break season, needs to score goals a la Noble

Burke....on basis of last season will be discarded by January

Idle... ends season at Forest Green Rovers or the like

Gibson... a gem will be unexpectedly unearthed

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

4 hours ago, notts-joe said:

I have frequently said to various people that I would like to see Campbell play up top, however he does do well on the wing where his pace can be more of an asset when you are chasing a game or looking to break.  Despite the feedback I have had, or comments made via online.  He just chokes when it comes to shooting, either taking too long to shoot or over thinks it.

I think you've just out-argued yourself joe when you say "He does have the ability to be a very good goalscorer", then "He just chokes when it comes to shooting, either taking too long to shoot or over thinks it".  Unfortunately I agree more with the latter, Campbell just doesn't seem to have a natural goalscoring instinct.  I really liked him early last season, but his progress has been zero.  He runs around a lot, but when he gets a decent chance, it's very rare he converts it.  He's featured pretty regularly in the friendlies, so I presume Sheridan sees something, but in my opinion he is too lightweight for midfield and not clinical enough to play up front.

Regarding the strikeforce, any two from Stead, McLeod and Forte should offer a threat at this level.  I just hope we create a decent amount of chances for them to show what they can do.

@Elite_pie Hits nail on head with comment " Campbell just doesn't seem to have a natural goal scoring instinct. " The chances or more likely opportunities squandered at the start of last season, Moniz would likely still be in his job. One could start a new thread on ineffective goal scoring strikers..Lawrie Dudfield would be my opening offer.

2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

One could start a new thread on ineffective goal scoring strikers..Lawrie Dudfield would be my opening offer.

I'll match your Lawrie Dudfield and raise you a Karl Hawley.  Whatever the opposite of 'predatory instinct' is, Karl Hawley had it by the bucketload.  If you count his sub appearances, I think he scored 9 goals in 98 games for us.  People talk about a 20 goals a season striker, that makes Hawley a 4 goals a season striker!  I still remember his appearance against us for Scunthorpe at Meadow Lane when they should have buried us, but Hawley contrived to miss a host of gilt-edged chances.  His finest moment for Notts remains his emergency right back performance against Forest in the cup game at the City Ground!

@Elite_pie I'll match your Karl Hawley and raise you a Tony Hackworth-less. 5 year contract.... 54 appearances with one goal... well make that 2, I saw his goal at East Fife in a preseason friendly..... thank you Peter Storrie. Elite, dont think you can raise the bar on this...not even Ricky Green.

True, I don't think even 5 aces would beat Hackworth!

Archived