Match Discussion: Game 11 - The Shrimps (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,278
  • Days Won:  80

Game 11 - The Shrimps (H)

Team: Morecambe FC

Date: 01/10/16

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should John Sheridan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  17

Will he play Louis Lang or Elliott Hewitt? 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,004
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

4 hours ago, magpiejue said:

Will he play Louis Lang or Elliott Hewitt? 

The suspension was just for one game? I thought it would be two games due to the fact it was a double yellow and for discontent towards the match official.

If Louis Laing is availible he has to start, I can't imagine many would say Elliot Hewitt should retain his spot. Keep the squad close to what has been selected prior, I am feeling a bit more confident but I do worry that they may take a lead and press us more than we have experienced as of late. Regards, I just want to hear fans getting behind the game and singing for the majority of the match.

Who's in? @ohstanleyaborah? @NewarkPie??

• Like 1

The game should have been called off before it had even begun, that or delayed without starting.

It's a shame because Notts looked up for it and passed it around better, but it was too dangerous to continue playing. The boo's was just frustration for the handling of the game by the officials and the fact fans felt like they had a wasted journey but it only started near to the actual kick off. It just shows how quickly rain can ruin what seemed to be a good contest.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

11 hours ago, notts-joe said:

The game should have been called off before it had even begun, that or delayed without starting.

It's a shame because Notts looked up for it and passed it around better, but it was too dangerous to continue playing. The boo's was just frustration for the handling of the game by the officials and the fact fans felt like they had a wasted journey but it only started near to the actual kick off. It just shows how quickly rain can ruin what seemed to be a good contest.

I thought the officials were totally blameless yesterday.  The game had to kick off at 3 pm because the pitch was perfectly playable.  After 5 minutes puddles started to form, by 10 minutes these were getting worse and turning the game into a farce plus the added risk of injury due to mistimed tackles.  Good idea to wait 10 minutes to get a weather update and see if things improved, but it was clear the rain was still coming down faster than it was soaking away.  Blame the elements rather than the officials,  I don't see what they could have done differently.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

The ref was right to call the game off, i would have liked it to be 3 mins previous as you could see how much the ball was holding up yet i still had three bellends sat behind me in the kop calling for the game to be played as its "only a bit of water".

Hopefully the replay will be on a Saturday that i'm not working 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Right decision to call it off, even in the first 10 mins Stanley slipped and fell flat on his front, it was far too dangerous to continue

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

I thought the officials were totally blameless yesterday.  The game had to kick off at 3 pm because the pitch was perfectly playable.  After 5 minutes puddles started to form, by 10 minutes these were getting worse and turning the game into a farce plus the added risk of injury due to mistimed tackles.  Good idea to wait 10 minutes to get a weather update and see if things improved, but it was clear the rain was still coming down faster than it was soaking away.  Blame the elements rather than the officials,  I don't see what they could have done differently.

They made the right decision, yet I don't think they should have gone onto the field myself. Even before kick off, it was clear it was unplayable and by just starting the game it lead to the uncertainty. Don't get me wrong, if the rain wasn't so heavy I wouldn't be saying this but even without the visible pools - it was certain at the kick that it would be dangerous to play.

For me it was a small misjudgement error on their part to start the game.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,920
  • Days Won:  162

i thought it should have been called off before it kicked off, there was pools of water before that point. once the rain came, there was no stopping it!

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

It was a real shame, but inevitable as there was no way the pitch would have been playable at any point after the rain came down. The only part of Saturday that annoyed me was realising that I'd basically thrown £4 away in using the cattle market car park, which I bet won't be made free for the rearranged fixture.

• Like 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

Notts abandonment was mentioned during the Rams Radio Derby commentary at about 3 .20. and although we had had thunder and lightening for quite a while it didn't start raining here in Aspley until about 3 30.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,920
  • Days Won:  162

it looked way too dangerous to begin with, the ball hardly moved and i think it should have been called off before the kick off myself.

the officials would not win either way because had this have happened some would have moaned about why they did not try but i agree with everything @notts-joe joe wrote.

I wonder how we will perform today? Watch Morecambe arrive wanting to prove a point and we struggle - then the game ends in a boring draw. I just hope we hit them with clever attacking football and seal a good victory.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

My 70 mile journey back gave me some time to reflect on a truly awful state of affairs. I could not attend the Mansfield debacle but had assumed that JS would illicit a reaction this evening. My heart sank on seeing Burk's name on the starting line up. I am trying to recall the wingers name ( @Elite_pie) may help me remember, where Jimmy Sirrel deliberately played 45 minutes with 10 men as the player was deemed as not motivated enough to play....well that's my feeling with Burke....It was summed up quite nicely by Morecambe's opening goal...corner come over, our keeper misses it ( he too is a liability) and the man Burke is supposed to be marking is left completely free. However that's not the end of the matter, the aftermath of the goal, Burke is pointing at another player rather than being "Man enough" to accept responsibility for another example of his concentration lapse, or sheer couldnt care less attitude.

The midfield has no pace, Richards gave a reasonable performance, he slots in like an old pro. Forte showed some skill and effort...but the finger pointing has to be focused on Rodman, Tootle, Dickinson Duffy for their sheer lack of mobility. Morecambe were scared of Stanley's ability in the abandoned game...they were faced tonight with a midfield so slow with the ball, and the inability to even break sweat to challenge for the second ball. 

Half time for coffee was a roster for former Notts managers, Dearden, Hart and Curle would have left with very little notes....only scribbles, Notts  have no players to fear.....

Collins showed some pace and was perhaps unlucky with one blocked shot, Oliver thumped a header in when it was all too late. Laing and Audel show good movement going forward but both are not rock solid at the back... Sheridan talked after Mansfield, about needing a nasty pro in the middle. The problem goes much deeper, we are just NOT CREATIVE enough. It's like Derry's OAP midfield of Smith, Jones, Thompson et al... As a club we are not moving forward...these players will likely get JS the sack, as maybe he is too stubborn in himself to drop his "picks".

I dont know if I can be bothered making the journey on Saturday...I am left with the feeling some players are happy picking up the money without effort..aganst alimited Morecambe team who did the basics well.

a disillusioned Pietagoram

• Like 5

Sums up my feelings too

reply to @Keithw65
Wow. its Kevin Smith

@Keithw65 I've banned myself from Saturday. They make it so easy to not want to go!

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

Good read that @Piethagoramand pretty much sums up my views on the squad. I am going on Saturday, but if I turn up and see that Jordan has been dropped to the bench and Rodman is still in the side, I think I may think twice about the next game.

It is becoming apparent that some players are untouchable and unsurprisingly they all appear to be JS signings, with Dickinson, Rodman and Duffy not showing anything at the moment. If he doesn't man up soon and admit that some of them aren't playing well enough to be in the side, then the fans will turn on him and the players, which is the last thing we need.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Pathetic defending throughout, but defending starts from the front. The amount of time and space their midfielders had to take a touch before looking up to pick a pass was a joke. As soon as our midfield got the ball they were snapping at our heels in a flash. Our defence looks crap, but they get very little help from the players in front of them. Last night was a carbon copy of so many home games in recent years - a team with no great talent but who are simply organised and hard working offer much more than we do.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  631
  • Days Won:  8

Very disappointed with what I saw last night. We weren't beaten by a better team, but by a better team.

At times there was some individual effort but it was let down by the rest. For example Forte did well on the wing but this left Stead isolated as too often the midfield was 30 yards behind the ball.

I can only remember from the first half a decisive run forward by a 'wing back' and it caused Morecambe problems. So why did it only happen once? Lack of fitness, lack of ability to pass and move, or just lethargy 'I've not played well recently and against Mansfield but I've still got picked'.

The team needs more pace but Collins is only being used as a sub and Snijders is not even on the bench!

I hope Richards continues to be picked, he was badly let down by his senior team mates last night.

Is Thompson injured or sidelined? We could do with his grit and determination in Midfield. I think he would be a good foil to Aborah, who would have more impact if others showed more desire for the ball.

It just seems like certain players are hiding on the pitch, and getting away with the minimum of effort.

• Like 1