New Notts County manager

Joe Jones

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, ScaffPie said:

Nolan's a novice, would be a Trew style punt. 

We really need to see, perhaps AH is a better judge of character? We simply don't know and although I do agree it would be the that style of gamble.

The clubs in this position whereby we don't have the best or even average attraction (in fact its a terrible place to be looking for a new manager), this all stems down to the years of the lack of stability and turmoil at the club. Nobody will be 100% happy, it's the nature of supporting Notts County.

I'll leave it to Hardy, we've tried most of the options - complete rookie (Fullarton /Kiwomya), 'outside the box' (Moniz), and safe pair of hands (Sheridan).  None of them have lasted.  We never seem to get that 'new manager' rush of points that most other clubs seem to get, let's hope that Hardy has the Midas touch.

1 hour ago, notts-joe said:

We really need to see, perhaps AH is a better judge of character? We simply don't know and although I do agree it would be the that style of gamble.

The clubs in this position whereby we don't have the best or even average attraction (in fact its a terrible place to be looking for a new manager), this all stems down to the years of the lack of stability and turmoil at the club. Nobody will be 100% happy, it's the nature of supporting Notts County.

If it was June, I'd roll with the appointment but with what's at stake, its just not the right time. 

20 minutes ago, ScaffPie said:

@Elite_pie I read the mad board a lot and you seem to like a bit of a flutter. 

Is it possible the bookies are moving runners into the betting to take easy money from punters to cover a well backed runner?

A odds on favourite for the next 12-18 hours would surely stagnate the market!

"Is it possible the bookies are moving runners into the betting to take easy money from punters"?   Definitely.  It's a very small market so the usual list of has beens, never will be, current players, former players etc will always be quoted in the hope of attracting a few quid from those who think they are 'in the know'.  The bookies are very wary of inside info being used to make a killing, so if Alan Hardy fancied a bet I'm sure his stakes would be subject to strict limits.  I must admit that when I saw Mark Robins suddenly move to 1/5 that he was likely to get the job, but it's all up in the air again now.

After job interviews I often used to think that the job was mine, only to be overlooked. Nolan can think what he likes, it's Hardy's decision.

Of the realistic ones David Flitcroft would probably be my choice as he's rescued teams before and would still have the drive of a young manager. Kevin Nolan is a virtual rookie and doesn't have that experience. But if AH thinks that he has the character, drive and ideas to turn us around we'll have to trust him and give him the benefit of the doubt. Every manager we appoint is a punt. Not every rookie manager is bad because of Kiwomya, just as not every experienced manager is bad because of Sheridan. You just have to identify the right man, and if he's the one with the shortest CV, so be it.

As for the bookies, I think when people see a candidate's odds shortening they seize on it and place bets on him, producing a snowball effect. I've seen it with a few candidates who ended up not getting the job.

Reports that Redknapp has turned us down, maybe DOF with Nolan manager. Leigh Curtis said on some web chat that it's a gamble and depends on who comes with him. 

TBH Trew appointed Coterill and came straight out of the blocks with a good solid appointment, not going down the admin route promotion had to be achieved. Up until our relegation we've always had a league buffer zone that gave Trew far more extra lives, Hardy hasn't got those extra lives.

There's more at stake now than there ever was under Ray Trew. 

Here's the story:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-redknapp-turns-down-return-9607942

It's a bit sketchy about what job he was offered. Like @ScaffPie, I reckon it was most likely as DoF. Which would point towards an inexperienced manager like Nolan. I wonder if Redknapp's rejection scuppers Nolan's chances?

Supporter+

Kevin Nolan. He lasted 15 games as player-manager at Leyton Orient but there were extenuating circumstances in that the owner was a nut job who wanted to have an input on on field matters, basically he wanted to sit in the stands and manage the team! You couldn't really judge Nolan based on this. From what I remember Nolan played decent football, ball on the ground, it was attractive to watch so that's a positive. It might put more bums on seats which is essential. Nolan has lots of potential but his inexperience is a worry given Notts are in a relegation battle. There is little room for error. While I like Nolan and think he would be worth a gamble, the time is not right for gambling. Notts cannot afford to be relegated, it would be disastrous.

Archived