New Notts County manager

Joe Jones

So, with John Sheridan the latest managerial casualty of the Notts County killing machine, who should come in to take up the poisoned chalice?

Best case scenario names include Steve Cotterill and Martin Allen, while the bookies are listing the likes of Gary McAllister, Neil Redfearn, Kenny Jackett and Nigel Adkins.

Who do you think should step up to the plate?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw on twitter that Stuart Pearce had been mentioned. Definitely DON'T want him. Does anyone honestly think Steve Cotterill will come. I don't. Martin Allen might now that the Trews have gone. But don't know about the others mentioned. 

Steve Cotterill came last time because we had a high-quality squad, bags of potential and, because of our league position at the time and all the background noise, little pressure to achieve. A relatively easy highlight for his CV. That isn't the case now. Jackett would be my favourite but he'd be a stretch for most clubs in League One, never mind League Two.

Adkins is interesting but he achieved his success at clubs where a strong foundation was already in place. Neil Redfearn must hold a record for the number of relegations. I'm not saying it's his fault, but he's hardly a lucky charm!

I think the issue now is getting a manager of note who will take it at this stage.

This group (with some additions) have majorly let down 4 managers now and there appears a real cloud over the club.

I even saw some folk on the Notts facebook page saying Gary Rowett?!! why in the world would he come to Notts at this stage? people I'm afraid need to be realistic.

At this point Mr Hardy really faces his first major test in , not only identifying the right person, but also in convinving them that Notts wont seriously affect their CV.

Everyone at ML should be collectively crossing their fingers .....

Just now, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Same people that say Warnock and Allardyce every time.... nut jobs. 

I agree....The same type of people thought Warnock was in for the St Mirren job in Scotland recently :)....he didnt stay at Rotherham as they wouldnt pay him what he wanted but he's going to appear in paisley at the bottom of Scotland's second tier?  ooooft give me a break :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Good to see @NewNottsFan back

The Partick Thistle Manager was linked to the job at Shrewsbury recently. He didnt come down but is he the kind of manager than can play expansive football on limited resources? He seems to be highly thought of.

Do you have any constructive thoughts on his abilities?

We are seeing this more and more in Scotland where young, ex players are getting a chance to manage having had links to certain clubs.

Alex Neill did well at Hamilton as a player and player/manager before leaving to get a job at Norwich and his post was filled by another ex player Martin Canning.

Alan Archibald at Thistle has done well with VERY limited resources as limited resources means very different things north and south of the border. He took them out of the Scottish Championship and kept them in the top flight but it has to be said that the board have stuck by him even through relatively tough times but they seem a steady , middle table Premier League side now.

Scottish football isnt where it used to be but one big positive side to that is that young managers are being appointed and given a chance.. and only now are starting to appear in English clubs, for example with Robbie Neilson leaving Hearts and going to MK Dons and then Hearts backfill his post with 30 year old Ian Cathro who was an assistant coach at Newcastle most recently with no playing experience, and another thread mentioned Jack Ross just appointed at St Mirren, so all in all a very interesting period.

I hope this trend continues as there are some talented 'young' managers around and , in the case of Alan Archibald , just need backing to see what they can do

5 hours ago, Joe Jones said:

Gary McAllister, Neil Redfearn, Kenny Jackett and Nigel Adkins.

Useless, not as good as people think (nice guy though), certainly not! and passed it.

None of the quoted names are people I want anywhere near this club, Kenny Jackett needs cash or a quality squad - I doubt we have either. Great prospect I say for whoever replaces John Sheridan.

Smith will no doubt get a few games, but really I think we need someone to come in and shake things up a bit. I doubt Smith could do that having been part of the furniture for the past two-and-a-half years.

If you want someone proven at our level, you could not do any better than John Sheridan - he had the contacts, the experience, a successful CV, the whole package. As did Gudjon a few years back. But did he have the drive and passion, did he try to establish a rapport with the fans and bring people together?

I'd be happy with someone from leftfield provided that it is an intelligent choice - a successful manager in Scotland or the Conference maybe. Someone who knows how to bond a team and instill a winning habit. I'd prefer an unknown manager with that background to a standard merry-go-round candidate who once won promotion in 2002 but has been living off it ever since.

I agree with you @DangerousSausage , but I would take MA back , but not the merry go round lower league bosses , we need the club galvanised for a fight , I think to a degree AH will do that , it's a massive decision , no guarantees with anyone , just under half a season left we can definitely get out of this .

If Smith hits the ground running with results, then I would be happy for him to stay in post until the end of the season, but if he doesn't, we have to act fast as the transfer window is not open for very long and other clubs are already signing players to improve. We cannot mess this up, otherwise we are stuffed!

I should add I would share a similar view as to @Fozzy.

Provided that there was nobody worth giving the job to before hand, if the candidates remain quite dire - this may be the best possible outcome as it would mean further time could be placed on making sure the right manager comes in (whilst it would allow further time for better candidates to come forward). There will no doubt be more sackings across the league, however all this fringes on how Smith does.

Only other down side is that we would probably be best with sticking with loans, so the fresh start and new players are chosen by someone who knows their quality.

Perhaps Smith might be able to gain some favours from his former clubs?

Wait until after the game he takes charge before pledging your allegiance to Alan Smith.

We all know we need a valid manager and someone with experience, I would rather wait and see. There's a risk, one we should be prepared to gamble with and that is the future of the club. No point backing him, only to sack him a few more games down the line. The right person needs to be given the task.

This should be carefully chosen.

Archived