strong, hardworking or skillful

liampie

strong, hardworking or skilful?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. which of the three would you prefer notts to be?

• strong
    • hardworking
    • skillful

i know this is kinda obvious most would want a balanced squad but what if we could only have one of the three above options?

the reason behind the question is that we have had a fairly strong squad, we have also had a skillful team in recent years but we really suffered due to having a lack of hardworking players. this season we seem to have that and it gets my vote over the other options.

If you could only have one, I would opt for hard-working all day long.

The issue is we tended to border to closely to one of the three, whereas this year we are up there in terms of work-rate - we do lack that extra quality at times. Despite players like Jorge Grant and Ryan Yates adding it.

I would vote for "hardworking" any day of the week.  We are in League 2 so we have to accept that we're not going to get the sort of players we see on MOTD, but the one thing I can never accept is a lack of effort and application.  If I could pick out one player as an example, it would be Stanley Aborah.  His skill wasn't in doubt, he had more natural ability than 90% of players at our level.  But he was bone idle, when we didn't have the ball it was like playing with 10 men.  Give me a Neal Bishop type (or his younger clone Ryan Yates) any day.  It's not a pretty part of the game, but stopping the opposition play is half the battle.

44 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Whilst I am in agreement with @Elite_pieon 95 per cent plus of his PoN postings, I recall one posting stating his preference for Paul Bolland over Stanley! I rest my case your honour! :frantics:

Correct, on the basis that a team of hard working but very limited Paul Bollands would absolutely batter a team of skilled but gutless Stanley Aborahs.  It wouldn't even be close, Stanley would perform some great pirouettes on the halfway line, but that would be about it.

Whilst accepting to differ on this point with @Elite_pie. Ricardo's home form of exciting and entertaining football of which Stanley was pivotal, has to be noted. Yes, Aborah may have been too much a liability away from home but his ability to draw 2 or 3 opposition players in, before releasing the ball, did create spece for the rest of the team. Perhaps, if our forwards had converted the higher percentage of shots during this time, we would never have got Fullarton as manager. Fullarton epitomised maybe a hard working team but without any cutting edge in skill... especially recalling the game at Crawley where Valencic scored a cracking goal, only to be dropped the next game...prompting me to comment at the time, in jest "Jamie....I don't want players who score cracking goals in my team"

I must admit I enjoyed the home games under Moniz, always entertaining which was a pleasant change after years of dull football at Meadow Lane.  Aborah looked part of the team while Moniz was in charge, but lost all interest when he was sacked and became a showboating passenger.  Looking at his wiki page it seems he has disappeared after making one start for Portsmouth last season.  

One choice-hardworking but I'd add adaptability to all 3 options.

Archived