The England Squad

ARLukomski

With today, set to be the day the squad is announced for the World Cup, what would your England squad be?

Here's mine. Obviously some of these have been confirmed that they are not going e.g. Arnold, Wilshere etc. I changed my mind over who I would have taken. Ryan Sessegnon was originally in and Wilshere was out. But after seeing comments on Twitter and seeing that Sessegnon might get the Walcott 2006 effect, it would probably be better not to take him. Wilshere has shown he can be fit and be creative and we need that spark in midfield. Kyle Walker would play centre-back because that is where has been playing under Southgate in a 3-5-2. He also likes to use Raheem Sterling as a striker with Harry Kane. So if we're playing 3-5-,2 this is my Starting X1: Pope, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Henderson, Wilshere, Rose, Alli, Kane, Sterling

GK - Butland, Pickford, Pope

RB - Trippier, Arnold

CB - Stones, Walker, Tarkowski, Maguire, Dunk

LB - Rose, Bertrand

CM - Henderson, Shelvey, Dier, Wilshere, Loftus-Cheek

W/AM - Rashford, Sterling, Alli, Lingard

ST - Kane, Vardy

No idea who he will pick, personally I would have taken both Wilshere and Jonjo Shelvey, but reports are that neither will be going which will lead to a creativity problem.

Delph is reported as going as he covers two positions and I would think he will take Ashley Young as well for exactly the same reason. Walker will definitely be part of a three man central defence, so Trippier is a good call on the right. He may also play Kane up front on his own (like at Spurs) and drop Sterling a bit deeper with Alli.

All guesswork and when I picked my side, is was more like a Ricardo Moniz lets attack and not bother defending team!

I'm quite pleased, it's nice to see some big named players dropped but more importantly there seems to be a plan in place to bring through new players - this may not work but I have to respect Southgate for trying.

DdUgbbvX0AEkvnS.jpg:large

I worry I do. He's took some players who are out of form. Hodgson took out of form players and players that had barely played all season. It cost him his job. I hate all this tournament experience stuff. 'Cahill has tournament experience.' yeh he's gone out in the group stages of a World Cup and the last 16 of the Euros. He's took Delph for his versatility but has earned his way into the side this year by playing well for Man City at LEFT BACK. Two of Delph, Rose and Young. Not all three. That way you can make space for a midfielder. I don't know, maybe Wilshere or Shelvey or Cook. Jones? What is a Phil Jones. Lewis Dunk and Jamaal Lascelles have played well all season and don't get a look in. Bizarre. Overall, I'm very underwhelmed but I'll still try and get behind them. 

I think the only area we'll struggle with is upfront, we need Vardy and Kane to click.

Rashford could do a Michael Owen and storm the competition, it really could be his time to shine but the problem for me is none of these players really do it for me at international level. I know Marcus is still young, yet we have seen him pushed out wide and Welbeck isn't as sharp on goal as he was. I think we'll be fine but I think the majority of goals will come from midfield.

If Kane can step up on the international front he could be as important as Alan Shearer was a few World Cup tournaments ago.

Archived