Memories of the 1991 Second Division playoff final between Notts and Brighton

Joe Jones

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

27 years ago, Notts County completed their remarkable journey from the Third Division to the top flight as they secured their second playoff promotion in a row.

A year after going up from Third to Second, beating Tranmere Rovers in that final, the Magpies once again came up trumps at Wembley as they ran out 3-1 winners over Brighton.

Tommy Johnson scored a brace, while Dave Regis got the other goal, and so did the Notts contingent celebrate once again.

What memories do you have of the day? Share your thoughts!

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

To honest I remember watch it on tv and as my family are County fans they were very happy. 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

Coming home on the coach with my old dad and the realisation that we were in the 1st Division, but not really being able to take it in.... surreal feeling.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I recall being very proud and excited about the prospects of us winning.

My grandfather considered me to be too young for the travel and, then to watch the match. So, my grandfather and brother went to the game. TBH, I don't recall hearing much about the game - I just mostly recall them being involved in a car accident and some fellow Notts supporters picked them up and drove them home. I wished I could have see the game, yet I have the memories of over visits to Wembley.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

This happened well before my time but I do find reading peoples memories to be fascinating. 

On 6/2/2018 at 13:09, Truefootballfan said:

Coming home on the coach with my old dad and the realisation that we were in the 1st Division, but not really being able to take it in.... surreal feeling.

If Notts gained promotion to the Premier League, I think I would have to pinch myself for several days after. I hope to see the day when we are playing above League One, fingers crossed we can be there in a few years time.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

oh wow, this is before my time as a notts fan but i watched the video. notts seemed to play quite well and took control from the opening goal, it does look very 90's with brightons awful kit and the notts staffs training jackets tho.

Archived