Tony Hateley

Magic magpie

Supporter+

And I am proud to say I witnessed both his stints at Notts. What a player, a legend in the true sense of the word. I’ll never forget the game when he came home 21,000 if memory serves me right packed into Meadow Lane to welcome him back, what an attendance for the fourth tier.

1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

And I am proud to say I witnessed both his stints at Notts. What a player, a legend in the true sense of the word. I’ll never forget the game when he came home 21,000 if memory serves me right packed into Meadow Lane to welcome him back, what an attendance for the fourth tier.

I’ve heard he was a quality player and graceful with it. 

When Tony Hateley played for Notts, we had the best two strikers that I have ever seen at the club.

He could literally strike the ball cleanly from any part of the pitch, and you know it would trouble the keeper. Yet I have fond memories of seeing him head several goals which always had you on the tip of your feet. The could would roar with amazement and he had the grace to remain humble, he will always be a club legend.

Top player and from Derby too:thumbsup:

I would have enjoyed seeing the squad which featured Tony Hateley and many others from that era, I always heard stories about how far he could head the ball and how skilful he was.

My grandfather liked him a lot and he was saddened to see Tony leave, yet excited when he returned.

He's worth in wages now what some of the top Premier League players get, I wished he had gotten more credit for his footballing ability.

Tony Hateley was an absolute dream to watch...and know! 

Make no mistake; he was a hard man and people rarely messed with him - or came off (very) badly, if they did - but I just remember EXPECTING something to happen when his foot (or head) touched the ball; and was rarely disappointed when it did.

He was a true gent; never too busy or too famous to stop and sign an autograph or have a chat; and when I think about how lucky I was to have watched him play for a number of years, I'm extremely grateful to NCFC for all of the talent, in all of the places, over all of the years (50 years, next year), that I've been extremely lucky enough to have watched.

COYP!

4 hours ago, lambleypie said:

He played brilliantly for Notts.

Strikers are often credited for their finishing but Tony could pass the ball, the way he brought players into the game around him was something amazing to see. A proper workhorse on the pitch.

Sounds like a legend I’m just sorry I never was able to watch him play a maestro a legend 

Archived