Match Discussion: EFL Trophy - The Mariners (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1-0, Lewis Alessandra - good start by the sounds of it.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Notts sound as if they are playing a lot better so fingers crossed it’s a turning point, although it’s only the EFL cup so we shouldn’t get carried away yet.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

Good first half, Milsom is playing well in the centre. Would be nice to see Husin get into the game more, that 30/40 yard pass to Enzio was class, he just goes missing for such long periods. The new defenders all look comfortable on the ball, Ward looks like a solid cb. They got around COC pretty easily for a chance fortunately it amounted to nothing. For all the possession were not really breaking them down. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

There's something available for Notts to build on from in the second half, a good performance and knowing they did well should help in the league. I'm surprised Notts sound like they have improved as much as it does.

Supporter+

1-1 penalty oh well, not doing so well second half.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Provided Harry Kewell sees what work needs to be done, the result doesn't matter as such - provided they come a way from the game wanting to improve in the league.

It sounded like engines may have ran out a little or at least ideas.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Well on the positive side we only conceded 2 and one of those was a penalty.

• liampie unfeatured this topic

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

i wished i knew what went wrong, its sad to see how we gave the lead away and then thrown the game too.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  1

I think maybe....just maybe.....our season is on the brink of being kickstarted by the change of management.

This may have been the Mickey Mouse tinpot joke cup. I don't suppose it was anywhere near a full-strength Grimsby side. But the fact is that for a good hour Notts put the misery of the last month behind them and pretty much played their hosts off the park. 

We were treated to a display of passing football, which totally belied a team supposedly bereft of confidence. We were playing the ball out from the back, with intricate short passing through the midfield, and good movement. No sign of the "frightened rabbits" of Saturday. It was a joy to watch at times.

It wasn't perfect.  Fitz had a couple of hairy moments in the first half, and got away with them. But he had been immaculate in the second half, catching everything cleanly and making a couple of excellent saves, until the 88th minute when he fumbled the ball under pressure and presented Grimsby with the winner. I think the time has come to take him out of the firing line. Pindroch joined in with the warm up but wasn't in the matchday squad, but he can't be far off ready. Or maybe there's a new keeper coming in ? 

Up front Stead and Hemmings worked hard and effectively, well supported by Boldewijn and Alessandra, but the cutting edge wasn't quite there, despite both strikers forcing very good saves from the home keeper, and Stead only being denied by a last-gasp tackle after a great run and cross by Boldewijn. 

After half time there were changes. Dennis replaced Hemmings, and Hewitt replaced Husin (who had played very well, but taken a heavy knock earlier in the game). This seemed to upset Notts' rhythm a little bit, and coupled with some changes to the home side made the game more even. Grimsby got their equaliser through a penalty on 70 minutes and that gave them the initiative a bit.  Notts' heads didn't drop.....it was just that Grimsby had their tails up. But still it took another goalkeeping error to decide the game. 

Very impressed with Ward. His foul gave the penalty away but that was his only mistake of a convincing performance. Get him paired up with Davies and they'll be ok. Kellett had a fine game at left back, as did Oxlade-Chamberlain on the right. Alessandra had a very good game and Milsom and Husin (until his injury) were both superb in the centre. 

If Kewell can have this much impact in two days, what can he do in two weeks ?  

Natty

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

game highlights for those that want to see.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I was delighted to see that Notts was winning but frustrated when I saw they had lost.

It might be a cup that nobody seems to care about but at the end of the day had they have won, it would have been a big confidence boost for the players. That's why I am disappointed.