Why the calls for Ardley?

ja3900718

I can understand that tactically, he's not always right and in games he does seem to settle for points. Most managers are floored at this level, but when something works it's usually for the better.

Two home games are up next, that's a good chance to mark up 4/6 points on the table.

I'm not concerned, some teams start slow but I feel we need to avoid pressure. The expectations of us walking the league isn't realistic I feel, nobody will because it's difficult.

The calls for Ardleys head, I don't understand. Nobody can be serious at this point?

What's your thoughts on him as a manager, I would be interested in any views that object to him as being the manager.

It's easier to sack the manager and, deny all sense of responsibility for sticking with the tough times [not that losing the first game of the season, after reaching the playoff final is "tough".

Some fans will have genuine concerns, others might short sighted or have valid reasons behind their thought.

Should a manager be sacked 1 game into a new season? I think that's daft.

The Danish Brothers clearly look into the bigger picture, I don't think things are solely down to stats with them either, I think they've got a good grasp on what hinders a football clubs progress. Majority of fans I know, mentioned that Cal Roberts made a HUGE difference last season. I know, I often heard that people felt confidence that we could've won the league if we had. Perhaps we just need to get the squad in form, with the flair coming from some of the players that had quality.

A new manager would be required to work with Ardley's squad, Ardley had to work with a split dressing room as it is within his time.

Give him longer, I won't call for his head.

I feel the clubs moving forward, we just need to be more aware and, take our chances.

Welcome to the board @ja3900718 !

For many people, the default reaction to failure is to call for the manager's head. The idea is that a new man will sweep in, transform the team overnight and we'll romp the division. This has been Notts County's philosophy for years and is a big part of why we are where we are.

In mitigation, expectations will naturally be higher this season. We're big spenders for this league, signing players who are out of reach for pretty much every other NL clubs and many in the division above too. We've had the benefit of a full pre-season and our summer signings were carefully planned. So it's natural that the goal is automatic promotion, and for that you need 90+ points. There's little room for error - a bad start and people will start to get twitchy.

I can understand people having doubts as to whether he really is the man to take us back up, as he does have a very cautious streak. But to his credit, he took us to within 90 minutes last season and IMO deserves our support in making it happen.

Pretty much agree with @Chris and @DangerousSausage here.

We’ve got owners, one of which wrote a thesis on the effects of sackings! (Some previous owners could’ve done with reading that). It’s daft even talking about it to be honest as it won’t even be something the owners have given thought to. One bad performance and everything before that seems to go out the window with some fans. We finished 3rd last season, we can compete at the top end of this league...

Even a bad start isn’t necessarily a disaster. Last season after 10 games Barrow were 19th (and 13 points off top spot) and Harrogate 17th (12 points off top spot). Woking were top, they finished 10th. It’s a marathon not a sprint!

i think the issue is we are used to swapping and changing, never fighting or giving a manager full support. its amazing how people came inline when we reached the playoff final, but come out after losing in the first game of the season. it baffles logic! think about it, dover scored right near the end of the game.

it just comes across as being a poor loser and wanting notts to fix issues by hiring and firing.

it dont work.

I do feel every manager that comes to Notts with a good pedigree before, fans instantly want them to recreate the magic that they had done before. It's not realistic, these days fans think a manager is the problem for everything. Neal Ardley isn't that bad, yes he fails to continue games or make changes to bring Notts more into games. That's more of a form issue in my eyes.

Whoever came would see similar complaints.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, provided they're not just spouting nonsense and can put an argument for it, then I welcome reading. I do feel now isn't the right time to be using the past or moaning about one result as being that reason.

Anyone would think Notts was bottom of the table 10 games in or something, why get rid of a manager who achieved a respectable finish last season?

I wonder if these fans realise that some of the players he's signed may end up wanting out, if things changed? Right now, there's no case to answer to for Ardley. 

Archived