Getting the best out of Doyle/O'Brien and Reeves?

JIMBO

I think the three can work, but it can't be a common placement. Jim O'Brien is okay out wide but if he's going to consistently play, then the middle is preferred. I don't think he can play as often on the wing. Jake Reeves right now seems the future for our midfield.

Notts needs to find a young, creative outlet that can progress with this experience around.

I don’t think you can.

At the start of the season I can't image the plan was to play them regularly as a three as we pretty much played all last season with a 4 man midfield. It hasn’t helped that Sloth turned out to be a diva (our first recruitment dud). So we lost a player there. Wolfe was bought in as a last-minute replacement and hasn’t really featured as yet. Is he just not good enough? We don’t know, but I can’t imagine he’d have performed any worse than the mentioned 3 have recently, the bar was pretty low.

I think a midfield 3 absolutely can work but we need quicker (and better) players to make up for the fact we’re a man shorter than the usual 4-man midfield.

If we had someone like Callum McGregor in the middle, who could do the direct running and gaining space.

Then Jim O'Brien could work as an out wide option, given the support from the attacking focused midfielder but then I would rather see Jake Reeves start than Michael Doyle. For me, he's someone useful to bring on when the opposition is tiring and his energy/stamina will be at it's highest. The three players playing regularly together wouldn't work in my eyes, not even if we had wing backs supporting.

Archived