Port Vale Vs Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Port Vale are doing better than I thought they would, their owner does a lot of interacting with the fan base and the football league show did a section on him earlier in the year - I can remember being bemused by the 'refreshing' to see comments the show made. Other clubs have already done such, yet it was nice to see.

Apart from Lee Hughes (who I don't want to see play or score), I don't know enough about them. I actually can't name another Vale player, which isn't normal.

We will be without Gary Liddle, yet Ball is reportedly okay to play.

Who do we slot into midfield with 'Every Liddle Helps' absence? I think Fotheringham did okay, although he did a few things which I didn't like and I am usually one who defends him (as I do with others) lol.

Tempest? Perhaps the Charlton midfielder we are yet to have seen, I've forgotten his name! Bradley? Mmm....

Thoughts?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

I'm relieved to hear that Ball should be okay to play. He seemed to do well in the air in the past few games I saw him play.  Although saying that, for the time Murray was on he did pretty well in the air for a small guy.

It could be a chance to put a more forward player in midfield, with someone like McGregor moving back more to midfield and another striker starting. I have a feeling this would leave us a bit too exposed in the middle defensively though. I wouldn't be too upset if Tempest was brought in, but hasn't he been playing on the wings for the games he was in midfield?

I get the feeling Derry will stick with 4-5-1, it's just a punt but with him bringing on Murray (instead of Enoch) - It suggest to me he see's this as being the way we can hold games. I'm not a fan of it myself, would rather see two strikers up front even one drifted at times.

Tempest as been unlucky, he played some good stuff before his absence.

Quite a few from the away games prior to Derry's arrival side he looked steady and comfortible, the games I've seen he's always been stuck at left back.

I'm hopeful we will avoid pushing McGregor out wide, it is exiciting to see him run towards the box from the flanks but he seem more useful and dangerous as being the player who steadily anchors the ball around the edge of the oppositions area. He does this very well, especially when combinding with Grealish. It gives him the chance to either take on or step others, plus Tempest can play on the wing and can cross/float balls into the area or even perhaps Bell? What happened to ding dong's fan club?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

are port vale really a good side? some of their performances have been pretty bad and some you could say lucky. i dont know, i just feel we can beat them. if our confidence continues to increase, i do not see us struggling myself.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Not sure about Right back now that Freeman has gone back to derby now though. Muzzie still not fit from what I hear so it's all hands to the pumps!

re centre mid, I would give the lad from charlton a run out. What was the point in bringing him in if he's never going to get a game? admittedly it might be risky, but fotheringham is no great shakes if were being brutally honest!

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

This is going to be a difficult game. Away there has never been an easy day. Add to that Lee Hughes, who we know will just be itching to score against us.

I hope to god those who go to the game, give him the reception he deserves. I do not think we would lower ourselves to the standards set by so many fans when he played for us. After all, he proved himself to be one of our best.

To come away from there unbeaten, will be a good result IMO

• Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

This is going to be a difficult game. Away there has never been an easy day. Add to that Lee Hughes, who we know will just be itching to score against us.

I hope to god those who go to the game, give him the reception he deserves. I do not think we would lower ourselves to the standards set by so many fans when he played for us. After all, he proved himself to be one of our best.

To come away from there unbeaten, will be a good result IMO

Agree with this, spot on.

Vale are a difficult side to beat, not always pretty but they are, like ?Brizzle, big, awkward and organised. A point would be useful IMO.

Hughes should be applauded and rightfully acknowledged as a Notts icon. The man was immense for us and, quite simply, the best natural predator in front of goal I have ever seen in a Notts shirt - and

I've been watching for over 50 years!

OK, so should Lee Hughes score... should he celebrate?

For me, Yes of course he should, the goal should mean the same to him as any other, I personally do not see it as disrespectful towards a former club, if they celebrate a goal.

It would be nice for our fans to witness that celebration, one last time.

Good on ya Hughesy

OK, so should Lee Hughes score... should he celebrate?

I wouldn't like him to do his usual celebration, I wouldn't might a little celebration or perhaps him doing it a way from our end.

I can't remember which ex player it was on sky who said they don't get it, I think it was Jamie Carragher but for me it's a sign of respect. In this modern game, I wouldn't like to lose things like this or sportsmanship for example.

Quite excited, I actually wished I could go now but it's not best. I can wait for Saturday! COYP

i would not mind, i hope he does not score but lee was a good player for us.

as the game draws closer, i am starting to think all more that we can win them. i think we might actually surprise them!

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Good luck Pies!

• Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

It would be great to get 3 points from this one but I will settle for a point, that would be a brilliant result.

Regarding Lee Hughes I would give him a good reception if I was there, he was a brilliant player for us and I hope that the Notts fans who travel acknowledge that.

If he scores I would hope he didn't celebrate and I have a feeling he wouldn't he has said since he left that our fans were really great to him so I somehow think he would bear that in mind if he did score (hopefully he won't so it wont matter either way).

It sounds like one of those games where CK opt out of making changes and then we lose in the end, I'm hopeful Shaun will bring someone to partner Murray. We need to get the goal which puts us in the lead, I would take a draw but I want 3 points even more so!

COME ON NOTTS!

• Content Count:  68
  • Days Won:  0

Is there a Refs benevolant fund we're not contributing to?

Damn, Blast and double Drat.

A shame we couldn't have picked up a point there.

Can anybody give an unbiased opinion on the pen's?

Supporter+

Well I enjoyed listening to the game on Magpieplayer but it kept cutting out and then carrying on where it left off so consequently I was behind the live action when talking in the chat room but it was good fun, shame we couldn't hold on for at least a draw, it seems were were beaten by the ref again.

when i heard two pens had been given, i thought what the hell! shame the ref was not like the one in the previous game, well he does sound sort of the same i suppose. we could have done with the points, people saying we would never have won. why could we have not drawn?

roll on saturday, hope we can get back on target.

• Content Count:  68

I wish there was some sort of appeal process for when refs give unfair pens.  Imagine if we went down by 1 or 2 points.  It could end up costing Ray a fortune.  (Believe he said relegation would cost us a million).  It's just so unfair that if you get a bad ref there is nothing at all you can do about it!

• Content Count:  5

I wish there was some sort of appeal process for when refs give unfair pens.  Imagine if we went down by 1 or 2 points.  It could end up costing Ray a fortune.  (Believe he said relegation would cost us a million).  It's just so unfair that if you get a bad ref there is nothing at all you can do about it!

And if you speak out about it you get yourself a fine!

Listening to Derry's post match comments he confirms what I thought (although hard to tell from the opposite end of the ground) that the Vale player fell into the box.

The first penalty was a definite handball, however, I didn't think Bouc's hand was in an un natural position (nobody jumps with their hands by their sides) and the bloke blasted it at him from a few yards away, very harsh imo.

Colin Slater said he wasn't facing the ball, he just jumped naturally. Now Pen's should only be given if the hand clearly move towards the ball, otherwise I feel the benefit of the doubt should go to the defending player. Nobody would turn backwards, if they wanted to intentionally hand the ball! unless you've got super vision and confidence. :P

I agree, there should be appeals. It seems only the big boys get this right, all the times big clubs falling from the Premiership put in their voices and sometimes they deserve to be punished.

Think we can state we was hard done by!

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

I knew something stunk about us conceeding 3 penalties in 2 games and guess what? Both pens today were very debatable!

The first one sees the ball smashed at Boucaud from 2 yards away and it happens to hit his hand. Surely the rule is for deliverate handball only? Very harsh.

The second, their lad does have his legs taken away but funnily enough the contact is outside the box and he continues running before falling over about 8 yards later!

It's a controversial thing to say but are they investigating any refs for match fixing along with these players? It's a joke the amount of decisions that have gone against us this season. I'm not using that as an excuse for our position but it is a joke.

Add to this Freeman's recall and the news that Gary Liddle is out for virtually the rest of the season, and its another thoroughly depressing evening :(

• Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

I'm looking forward to watching the highlights. How much money does the football league make a year? Can't they afford eye tests?

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I was discussing the ref situation with a red fan after the Bristol game and he agreed that we do seem to suffer from bad refereeing more than most. Looks like the Vale game just confirms it then!

Supporter+

I reckon the authorities should be checking the refs bank accounts to see if there are any large deposits going in.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Luck and decisions are supposed to even out over a season.If that really is the case then Notts are due good fortune at least for the rest of this season.

Archived