Notts: Summer recruitment targets started

Piethagoram

13 hours ago, Joshua said:

It's like the news of the academy being retained, its difficult to get excited or read more into it because its barely worth the story.

Strange take. 

I thought the academy news is fantastic (and the owners deserve a lot of credit), plus this article by Leigh Curtis is quite insightful in to how Notts operate their recruitment. 

9 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Strange take. 

I thought the academy news is fantastic (and the owners deserve a lot of credit), plus this article by Leigh Curtis is quite insightful in to how Notts operate their recruitment. 

It mostly explains that the clubs looking at players regardless of what happens and explaining how IB believes League Two/National League isn't that different.  Talking about how we currently play means nothing to the recruitment and of course the owners deserve a lot of credit. That's them, not this article.

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

Talking about how we currently play means nothing to the recruitment 

On the contrary, it means everything. This is why IB is saying that because we have a clear way of playing from the owners down, they we can use the data to refine our search for the type of player we actually want. More Alex Lacey, less Ben Turner. 

All good news at the moment. Scouting for the future is an always job and I believe we've got the right balance now.

Makes it even more appealing when we can look back at a few signings such as Cal Roberts and see real value in them to the club.

15 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

On the contrary, it means everything. This is why IB is saying that because we have a clear way of playing from the owners down, they we can use the data to refine our search for the type of player we actually want. More Alex Lacey, less Ben Turner. 

This

16 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Signing players can change the way a club plays, we did this when Cal Roberts first signed. We adapted our game so that he could take more of the attacking side on. How we currently play doesn't mean everything, that changes based on form and morale.

The owners have expressed their wish to see Notts playing more of an attacking game, with Ian Burchnall so far improving the displays but you have to sign players not just on stats.

They need to be good enough, at the right price and have something long term to offer the club.

Recruitment has been much better during the Reedtz reign so far, this season we went from brilliant signings to criticism of it. I suppose that's the thing about hindsight, yet I am content with it.

I think if I re-did which players we should keep or let go, my opinion would change.

Recruitment and scouting is happening a the time, Notts should be aware of players who's deals are running out - or talent expected to be showing the door. The thing that is good about knowing where you stand league wise is the fact you can gamble easier on players making good of themselves in the Football League.

If they don't, it's quite simple to get rid.

The physical nature of the National League is harder and in my opinion more challenging to get the most of out of some.

Naturally, I think the club will bear in all the factors and not just go on the stats. I mean, players sometime lack motivation and others would thrive at the challenge of playing first team football.

Still I would have to say, it's hard to get excited about signings at this point in time.

Archived