Nigel Clough tears into Elliott Hewitt

Super_Danny_Allsopp

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Strange, angry interview. Obviously haven't seen the game, but anybody that has watched Elliott Hewitt play at RB will know he is absolutely terrible in that position (granted he's not anything special at the other positions either). 

Says more about the manager for A: signing Hewitt and B: playing him at RB. 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Elliott Hewitt tended to be a waste of a shirt for Notts, it used to baffle me how popular he was and how he could never do anything wrong. I haven't seen the Mansfield game or highlights, but I think Nigel Clough is the type of manager that knows exactly what goes wrong when it does.

Hewitt loves the lifestyle that football brings, he's a posh lad who doesn't need to worry.

I think Clough will start to make him think twice, as this interview gives me the impression his mistakes won't be forgotten for some time. The comment about him not tackling a player because he's friends with this, it made me chuckle. :rollonfloorlaughing:

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Lesson number 1 of managing Elliott Hewitt. Never ever play him at right-back.

All he has to do is watch our 4-0 loss to Yeovil in August 2018 and see our woeful he was there. Although he is welcome to continue playing him there if it means, he costs them points

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Elliott Hewitt tended to be a waste of a shirt for Notts, it used to baffle me how popular he was and how he could never do anything wrong. I haven't seen the Mansfield game or highlights, but I think Nigel Clough is the type of manager that knows exactly what goes wrong when it does.

Hewitt loves the lifestyle that football brings, he's a posh lad who doesn't need to worry.

I think Clough will start to make him think twice, as this interview gives me the impression his mistakes won't be forgotten for some time. The comment about him not tackling a player because he's friends with this, it made me chuckle. :rollonfloorlaughing:

He was decent in central midfield with Yates. Predictably fell off after that after Hardy replaced Yates with his Liverpool signing where he cried. 😁😆 

Was OK-ish as a stand-in CB.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Super_Danny_Allsopp In CM he was decent but nothing special, I'd say he was tidy, but you're right about this and him playing as a CB.

When Mansfield signed him, it did raise an eyebrow at the time.

Nigel Clough isn't the manager you want to p**s off, whilst he's not his dad - he's also very on it. Poor Elliott Hewitt will be in the dog house for a while, but it's the only way to make some respond positively.

Here's a few of our comments on Hewitt playing RB:

I actually looked at the highlights on youtube 😆 - Hewitt's positioning at RB hasn't changed one bit. Exactly the same as before, doesn't close anybody down and lets people dribble past him as if he's not there. Cost them 1, maybe all 3 points. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Wow. Reading the riot act to the media like that so early in the season can be pretty counterproductive if you're not careful...

As for playing Hewitt at right back, I can only assume Mansfield are missing their days out at Meadow Lane and are gunning for a place in the National League. I thought Hewitt could do a job at CM at that level if paired with someone decent (Yates) or experienced. It was also handy to have a midfielder who could step into central defence if need be. But at RB he was an absolute disaster, yet we persisted with it for what felt like years. By the time the penny finally dropped and he was moved back into midfield, his confidence was shot.

Archived