Commentary Lines

KB1862

Everyone here is from different generations and this is something I've always wanted to hear people's opinions about. 

What is the most iconic commentary line you've heard? 

What is your personal favourite commentary line? 

Iconic: "Aguerooooooooo" 

Personal favourite:"oh ya beauty. what a hit son. what a hit!" 

There's no line or commentary comment that will beat: "Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over [Geoff Hurst scores] it is now!" by Kenneth Wolstenholme.

In addition: I've been playing a lot of FIFA 21 lately, and "He saw the whites of the keepers eyes, and the white of his outstretched gloves." has the complete opposite effect as the famous lines of 1966. It just annoys me greatly, Sometimes you can hear it like 5 times in a single match. Plus, I am starting to dislike Lee Dixon's style of commentary - he's rather bland and boring. Often saying pointless things or going on about football back in his day.

This happens in real life, during the Euro's I had to switch to the BBC due to him annoying the hell out of me.

I wished media companies decided to choose people who are descriptive, witty and knowledgable as a whole about football.

Dixon's knowledge of clubs outside the UK is extremely poor, this is revealed in major international tournaments that he covers. The days of the greats, is dying and bland 'name keeps' are finding their way into English commentary.

@Chris I have to admit there are moments I enjoy Lee Dixon's analysis of the game as he's usually spot on but I agree his commentary in the euros were very hit and miss at times and on Fifa he's annoying as hell. 

Clive Tyseley and Ally McCoist are one of my favourite commentary duos and hearing them at the Euros was incredible together. 

The line from 66 is memorable but the 2 I mentioned just give me goosebumps. As great as the 66 is and forever holds England football history it doesn't have the same effect for me.

Sam Matterface is another one I don't believe should be a Commentator. He has his moments like his commentary for Luke Shaws goal is brilliant but other than that he doesn't do much for me tends to rely on others. 

Ally McCoist during the Euro's was the absolute worst, but I do usually admit he's good.

Then again, even the pundits aren't always enjoyable. Sourface Souness contradicts himself a lot. He did it all throughout the Euros. :D 

I actually like Darren Fletcher, he can get a little excited easily and dwell on his points a bit - yet it's passion which is great to hear from commentators. It's just a shame he's tied with BT Sports, as he would suite a more mainstream channel - by this I mean, Sky, ITV.

BT Sports coverage of Premier League games isn't that thrilling, even Amazon Prime picks up some better clashes.

Pre-planned lines in commentary are a pet hate of mine. They stand out like a sore thumb and feel really contrived. They should stop being self-indulgent and just be authentic.

I did rather enjoy Charlie Slater's raving after Doyle's halfway line goal, but that was spontaneous and from the heart!

Ally McCoist is probably one of the best ‘colour’ commentators out there imo. Such passion, matched with experience and insight. I’d disagree regards his work in the Euros. Really enjoyed the Scotland games, primarily down to Ally.

I don't care about most, I can ignore them easily.

What does make a good change is when the two have friendly banter and are fully focused on a game, sometimes when a game lacks eventful moments. It can be even worse with them rambling on about random things. I think Charlie Slater is at fault with this, always going on about the weather and what tattoos the players have.

I don't have a memorable commentary line, I do want to add that when the two people have a good understanding of each other its a lot more enjoyable.

Most memorable line I always remember wasn’t actually football, but hockey from the 1988 Olympics where GB beat Germany.
Barry Davies came was doing the commentary and as we scored the decisive goal he said “Where were the Germans? But frankly, who cares?” 

@Feral Fox absolutely obviously as an England fan, I didn't want Scotland to do anything but his passion when they played was absolutely brilliant. Even when England played Scotland I enjoyed listening to his views. 

@Joshua I agree with this. When you have 2 commentators bouncing off eachother you can really get in to the game and it makes it that bit more enjoyable. 

@liampie that's how he always sounds though even on talksport. But his views and the way he delivers things is exceptional. He doesn't hesitate and is one of the most enjoyable ones to listen to in my opinion. 

Archived