• Days Won:  3

And Sadlad and MedMick too :thumbsup:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

@cheeky~k8  Slinging it down is a common one that we are all used to, but obviously to some people it would be strange.

Slinging it down is almost the same as siling down though the former seems more common n Notts.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

wassock - a fool

scraiting - crying

Scraiting is one I had not heard till I met my wife, who lived on Notts./Derbys border, it was certainly one we never used in the Meadows in Nottingham. e.g. "Gi o'er scraiting yer mardy bogger"

I've heard scraiting before but not around Alfreton.Blahting is the word I'm more famiilar with e.g. "Wot yer blahting for"-"Why are you crying"

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

Super used to live in Often-Alfreton.

Tony,the pub you visited a while back was in Sholland -Shirland.

He had relatives living in Tibby- Tibshelf

His Bradford relatives said Dairby not Darby(Derby)

If he had a haircut he went for a 'Roggy'

icon_share.png tonyhateley   When I first went to work in Derbyshire (Ripley which is only just over the border) and mixed with Derbyshire folk I first heard the word "while" meaning "until". e.g. I am working 8 while 5 today. I had never come across that before.

Here I go again. Would it be The Ripley And Heanor or Derbyshire Times where you worked?? Whichever ,if I mentioned 'Lex',a florist fan and sport nut in general,would it mean anything to you?

Supporter+

Yes it was Ripley and Heanor News but I can't remember anyone called Lex. What department did he work?

I was only there about 6 months before they moved our department to Chesterfield.

I'm not sure when he actually worked there.I think it was the late 70's.He's 7 or 8 years older than you and came from Swanwick .Paul 'Lex' Barker.He also had a 'lazy eye'.He was a big mate of the uncle of mine who used to take me to see Derby. He supported The Wrong  team but you could have a sensible conversation with him.

Supporter+

Oh yes, Paul Barker rings a bell, I think he was a journo or maybe photographer, could have been a sales rep though. He wasn't in the production department.

I think you would know him if you'd met him.I don't say this very often but he was a really nice florist fan, full of banter ,like you, but honest enough to admit when Derby deserved to win and he did not rub it in if Florist were the better side(Well just a bit but not too much).As I said earlier, a genuine football fan and nice guy.(even if he did support the wrong team}

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

tonyhateley  In another post @notts-joe was having a bit of friendly banter with @GrannyPie and I said to be careful he could get a clip round the tab

Lug -Knot in hair

When I was a kid my family, especially Grandparents would tell me this, and I was constantly scared about having slugs in my hair. :D

I'm quite at ease with the Derbyshire accent, most of my family are from there and being from Kimbo it's not too far really. 

The first time I was at Super_rams and some of his Bradford relatives visited it was like being in a foreign country.Super kept having to translate for me.

When we visited my Bradford relatives when I was young I had to ask my parents to translate.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

This is quite good fun to read, a lot of the words and expressions take me back to growing up in Nottingham. I've forgottena  lot of them which kind of dissapoints me, I'm proud of being from Nottingham and I dont want to start sounding like these lot down here - farmers :no:  :P

Maybe it was just me, but does/did anybody ever use the expression "on your/my todd" - on my/your own? One of my mates text me the other day asking me if I was going to something that was on at Weymouth FC, and I replied "no I cant be bothered, especially going on my todd" - he was was and truly stumped :rollonfloorlaughing:

Supporter+

Yes I use that phrase "on my Tod" apparently it's Cockney rhyming slang for Tod Sloan who was a jockey.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Sloan_(jockey)

• Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

A few of my favourites:

- Wittle - Worry - As in 'Stop ya wittlin'

- Tegs/Teggies - Teeth

- Tabs - ears 

- Wobbie - wasp

:lol:

Amazing that I use some of these and never clocked on that they were Derbyshire/Notts slang words.

weymouthPIE This is quite good fun to read, a lot of the words and expressions take me back to growing up in Nottingham. I've forgottena  lot of them which kind of dissapoints me, I'm proud of being from Nottingham and I dont want to start sounding like these lot down here - farmers :no:  :P

Maybe it was just me, but does/did anybody ever use the expression "on your/my todd" - on my/your own? One of my mates text me the other day asking me if I was going to something that was on at Weymouth FC, and I replied "no I cant be bothered, especially going on my todd" - he was was and truly stumped :rollonfloorlaughing:
Jack Jones is another, apparantly Cockney rhyming slang, term that we use a lot with the same meaning-I sat there waiting on my Jack Jones-I sat on my own.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Yeah thats a good one Granny. My Grandad gave me another one today, I popped over and he said "how're you diddling?" meaning ofcourse, how are you doing?

Mind you my Grandad has a language of his own bless him.

Arm n rocks - socks

holy ghost - toast

Another favourite is "seen more fat on a butchers pencil" although thats not such a regional saying

My Grandad(Alfreton) used to say -goad as in -'That were a rate good goad  that theer 'ateley scored ont telly-That was a really good goal Hateley scored on the television.Mind you he came from Sheffield originally(near Hillsborough)moved to Cromford,,near Matlock,at an early age before settling in Alfreon in his teens.

My other Grandad(Bradford)when asked how he was would reply- 'ee champion,lad'

• 1 month later...

One night whilst on holiday and in a pub we bumped into a family we first met about 20 years ago(our holidays have coincided before but they only stay for a few days at Butlins)Anyway, they live in Burnley,but the mother originates from Leicester and the father from Yorkshire and quite by accident the subject of accents/local sayings came up.The thing that they were both arguing about(in a friendly way)was how do you make tea -She said  'you MASH  it ',he said 'you BREW it' We had a great laugh with me mentioning the examples that had been posted on this forum .

Yes and Super_ram said he thought he'd lost most of his broad Derbyshire accent to which we all replied in unison 'Oh no you haven't' :rollonfloorlaughing:

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd resurrect this from last year in the hope that members who have joined in the last  year and a half can have a laugh and perhaps add a few comments.It fits alongside @hissingdwarf's post-Ay up me duck.Best to read through from the beginning

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55iAwMXylo

:lol:

Do you have any language difficulties due to your accent where you live now @PTID1862,@Northants Pie,@Canadian,@DangerousSausage and anyone I've overlooked ?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

When I went Peterborough I spoke to several locals, all said they could barely understand my accent and thought I was from Manchester.

No idea why, it was amusing.

Archived