Player ratings v Tranmere

Elite_pie

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Stone 7 - difficult to rate because he didn't have a serious save to make, but did what he had to do well.
Rawlinson 7 - looks good on the right side of a back 3, great to see him score the winner.
Brindley 7 - switching him to the centre was an inspired move, he looks so much better.
Cameron 7.5 - impressive today both defending and going forward.
Nemane 7 - scared them in the first half, but a bit mixed in the second.
Palmer 7 - does what Palmer does. Always available and keeps us moving.
Bostock 9* - A majestic display. Didn't waste a pass and won the ball back regularly. Today Bostock looked like a Premiership player dropped into a League 2 match. Head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch, a travesty he didn't get MOM.
Jones 7.5 - classy, provided some quality crosses that deserved a better end product.
Crowley 7 - always composed on the ball, some good creative moments.
Langstaff 7 - everything but a goal, and he should probably have had a couple. He was still in the right place and his work ethic can't be faulted.
McGoldrick 7.5 - showed more of what he offers. Great finish for our first and could have had more.

Subs 6.5 - all did their job. Hope Scott's injury is a minor one.

An impressive performance today, the scoreline really didn't do us justice. Another brilliant attendance, the thought of us getting over 10,000 for a home game against Tranmere would have been unthinkable last time we were here.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

In total agreement with @Elite_pie The Bostock / Palmer combination seems irreplaceable. Am I being harsh in feeling that JOB cannot feel those roles, as he prefers playing a more advanced midfield position?

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
10 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

Bostock 9* - A majestic display. Didn't waste a pass and won the ball back regularly. Today Bostock looked like a Premiership player dropped into a League 2 match. Head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch, a travesty he didn't get MOM.

Totally agree, I couldn’t believe it when they announced man of the match, don’t get me wrong McGoldrick’s goal was fantastic but Bostock’s performance was on another level. I swear his shoulders dropped when they announced MoM on the tannoy.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Rawlo had a difficult opening 20 or so minutes wrestling with their striker, but he won more than he lost. After that, he won almost everything and got a goal. 8 for me.

Cameron down .5 for his fall on the ball trick which didn't work (again!). 

Crowley up .5 for me. He wasn't always involved today, but the balls he plays in are excellent and strangely enough, he wins the ball back countless times by doubling up defensively and getting a nick on the ball to get the ball from the opposition. Underappreciated for that side of his work.

One note on the tactics: the long ball to TAR works and he wins his fair share of headers, but Langstaff never makes a run in behind so TARs headers almost always just fall to the opposition. Leaves me a bit puzzled as to why we do it.

• Like 4

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,785
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

School of Duffy : "Cameron down .5 for his fall on the ball trick which didn't work (again!). " @Super_Danny_Allsopp

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

Brindley 8 - from start to finish, he was the finest defender on the pitch, exuding calmness and demonstrating excellent ball control. His unnoticed yet significant contributions included making impressive runs into open spaces. His performance was commendable.
Nemane 7.5 - I felt compelled to add an extra half point because his skills and efforts deserved recognition. He outclassed the Tranmere players with ease, and even though it didn’t always work out, isn’t that what we want from a player on the flank - the ability to take on his opponent?
Palmer 8 - It’s hard to understand how anyone could fail to acknowledge his exceptional performance. His passing was on par with Bostock at times. He effortlessly retrieved the ball, winning it back in crucial areas before running off and passing it to another player, usually Jodi Jones. For me, the three main contenders for Man of the Match were Palmer, Bostock, and Brindley.

While I disagree with these ratings and have slightly adjusted mine accordingly, I believe @Elite_pie has generally hit the nail on the head.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

Brindley 8 - from start to finish, he was the finest defender on the pitch, exuding calmness and demonstrating excellent ball control. His unnoticed yet significant contributions included making impressive runs into open spaces. His performance was commendable.
Nemane 7.5 - I felt compelled to add an extra half point because his skills and efforts deserved recognition. He outclassed the Tranmere players with ease, and even though it didn’t always work out, isn’t that what we want from a player on the flank - the ability to take on his opponent?
Palmer 8 - It’s hard to understand how anyone could fail to acknowledge his exceptional performance. His passing was on par with Bostock at times. He effortlessly retrieved the ball, winning it back in crucial areas before running off and passing it to another player, usually Jodi Jones. For me, the three main contenders for Man of the Match were Palmer, Bostock, and Brindley.

While I disagree with these ratings and have slightly adjusted mine accordingly, I believe @Elite_pie has generally hit the nail on the head.

Agree about Palmer. However anyone that dives and does it that badly doesn't deserve an 8.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i agree with @Elite_pie and @CliftonMagpie.

@Super_Danny_Allsopp there was contact on him, i have not seen the highlights but i did think the issue was the way he went down. if he went down more naturally, it might have been given but he did go to ground as if he was forcing it or trying to convince the referee.

• Like 1

From where I stood behind the Kop, he chested it expecting contact that never came and threw himself to the floor. Player reactions on both sides indicated the same, but also I've not seen the incident back 

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

6 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

From where I stood behind the Kop, he chested it expecting contact that never came and threw himself to the floor. Player reactions on both sides indicated the same, but also I've not seen the incident back 

I saw it on iFollow (including a replay) and you're right - he was expecting contact and none was forthcoming, so he did a kind of belly flop. That's the sort of thing that goes viral if you're unlucky. No need for it at all. But in his defence, there seems to be three of him on the pitch at any one time and we missed him when he went off.

Other than that I don't have a lot to add. Bostock just oozes quality and we're going to have a lot of fun with Crowley. I'm also pleased for McGoldrick that he got off the mark at home. He really looked the part yesterday after a couple of games where not a lot of things he tried came off, and he was so unlucky to hit the post too.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Being right close to the action, I was listening to the radio via my phone as I watched the incident unfold. There was contact, but I think Matt Palmer made the most of it. The Tranmere Rovers player certainly did touch him, I am not sure the cameras would have got the angle, but a slight touch was made to the ball (Palmer was caught first).

He did go down like a sack of spuds (@GrannyPie and @super_ram saying), either way he made a meal of it. Yet there was a clear penalty, which were when Tom Davies smuggly handled the ball.

It's hard not to give 7's acorss the board, I though Matt Palmer and John Bostock bossed the midfield.

• liampie unfeatured this topic