Centre-Back recommendations Notts 2024/25 transfer window

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Right then, here we go. The most important position in Notts' summer recruitment. Baldwin and Brindley have been released and Rawlinson has been transfer listed. That leaves us with Cameron and Macari. One left footer and one right footer. 

In my opinion we need 3 right footers and 2 left footers. The recruitment has to be spot on in this position. They need to be able to defend their box, but also be comfortable to play our style. They have to have the required strength, height and athleticism. We also require more leaders. With that in mind, here is the list.

Centre-Backs Notts transfer window PON.PNG

Notts have been rumoured with Riley Harbottle and it would make sense as he has played under Stuart Maynard at Wealdstone. For me, Will Wright is perfect for us. He can play anywhere across the back 3, he has the height and the ability to play out from the back. He has been a regular for Crawley this season and whilst he has an option for a further year in Sussex, he could be tempted to a move to a team with a higher ceiling. Lucas Ness has some impressive stats, despite not playing a large amount of games at Charlton. He isn't first choice there either, so it would be a decent signing. Tom Bradbury has the height (6'3), the leadership and pace (shown by his goal-line clearance against Burton). Definitely good competition for Cameron. 

I've said that Notts need to look into Ireland and whilst we looked at Conor Keeley, a move never materialised. His CB partner at St Pats, Joe Redmond, would be a great signing. Once again, he's comfortable with the ball at his feet and playing out from the back (76.3% accurate passes) and is good in the air as well, with 67.8% of his aerial duels won. He would bring leadership as well, being St Pats' captain and a former captain of Birmingham's youth team. With St Pats only sitting in 6th place, it would be a good time to move. Nando Pijnaker is a colossus in the air and whilst not blessed with pace, he can play a pass. Sligo are 8th in Ireland and it could be a shrewd bit of business to sign the New Zealand international.

Cameron McJannet and Gavin Molloy are two more left footed centre-backs from Derry and Shelbourne respectively. Molloy maybe difficult to prize away, as Shelbourne currently sit top of the league and he is ever present in Damien Duff's side. McJannet is formerly of Stoke City and has been ever present for Derry in the last few seasons, which has seen The Candystripes be Shamrock's closest challengers. Ruadhiri Higgins is someone who the Reedtz bros wanted as head coach, after Ian Burchnall left, meaning his Derry side will have played a similar possesion based game to Notts. McJannet has been a part of that and despite only being 5'11, can win his fair share of headers too.

I will add Farrend Rawson's stats, according to my metrics, in the replies.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,487
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

@ARLukomski

Do you see Macari keeping his place within the team & Cameron/Bajrami as squad players who will have to fight for their place, & do you expect the newbies to come straight into the Notts side?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

I would prefer Macari to keep his place and play alongside two new signings.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  36

Interesting how you are holding back Farrend Rawson’s stats @ARLukomskias on face value you would say that he ticks the right boxes, decent in the air and passing (without being flash). I would guess Notts have him on the list of possibles, especially with him being out of contract and also a Nottingham lad.

One thing I am unsure of with him is his pace and leadership qualities, but he does have higher league experience and is bang on age range at 27.

League of Ireland players are likely to be a gamble as we’re not sure of the standard, but assume it is similar to league 2. I wouldn’t want to rely on one as our main centre back, more of a backup who can grow into the team.

I’ve heard Will Wright’s name mentioned quite a lot but I cannot see him moving north of Watford Gap (or even that far) to be honest.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Excellent work @ARLukomski

Would be interested if you can add the stats for Farren Rawson and Aaron Donnelly's too

On accurate long balls...are there stats for inaccurate long balls, as a % rating of success, may be more appropriate to show?

Pijnaker at Sligo, maybe needed with 75% of aerial duels won.... with teams like incoming to EFL Bromley!

• Like 2

Would Morecambe's David Tutonda fit either LCB or left WB?

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/players/616926/david-tutonda

Always been impressed by him

@Piethagoram

Aaron Donnelly - Age 20, 6'1, Left footed

PLD 19

Accurate passes - 424/689 (61.5%)

Accurate long balls - 51/201 (25.4%)

Tackles won - 6

Clearances - 85

Headed clearances - 45

Recoveries - 75

Ground duels won - 21/33 (63.6%)

Aerial duels won - 60/97 (61.9%)

Farrend Rawson - Age 27, 6'4, Right footed

PLD 31

Accurate passes - 558/772 (72.3%)

Accurate long balls - 31/101 (30.7%)

Tackles won - 15

Clearances - 136

Headed clearances - 78

Recoveries - 99

Ground duels won - 31/56 (55.4%)

Aerial duels won - 120/189 (63.5%)

• Like 1

@Piethagoram

Not sure if he'd fit a LCB role. Only 5'11. I know Molloy and McJannet are both that height but they are natural centre-backs and they win a good amount of aerial duels for their height. Tutonda is a natural left-back, who has, on occasions, played LWB for Morecambe 

David Tutonda - Age 28, 5'11, Left footed

PLD 37 

Accurate passes - 788/1,014 (77.7%)

Accurate long balls - 35/137 (25.6%)

Tackles won - 44

Clearances - 108

Headed clearances - 52

Recoveries - 173

Ground duels won - 127/223 (57%)

Aerial duels won - 41/95 (43.2%)

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Just some things to consider:

- Shelbourne are challenging for the title. They don't need to sell. They'll be strengthening in the Summer. 

- Derry are also challenging for the title. They will be playing in Europe. 

- St. Pats just sacked their manager. They will be playing in Europe. They are under performing this season. They could be persuaded to part with some of their squad. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Posted (edited)

Some potentially very good options mentioned already. I know people will be dubious of another young player from Norwich, but it seems Accrington got the best one this year. Brad Hills played pretty much every game for them at CB this season and by all accounts was very good.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  5

I believe Notts already have a clear idea of their recruitment targets. Our recruitment strategy seems to be centred around monitoring player development and potential opportunities. While the Adam Senior project could be a promising signing, he's still relatively young. I'd prefer someone with more experience, a commanding presence, and a no-nonsense approach. An ideal candidate would be a young Connell Rawlinson who is adept both on and off the ball. As for Lewis Macari, he should be starting games alongside Kyle Cameron. Our defence could be bolstered if we manage to sign a tall defender who can effectively deal with set-piece threats, among other things I've mentioned.

• Like 2

I will come back and add another list for centre-back. That will include Jacob Bedeau, Farrend Rawson, Alex Hartridge, Cian Byrne, Corey Whelan, Charlie Barker, Mamadou Jobe, Kenton Richardson, Dan Ellison, Luke Jenkins, Danny Collinge and Lewis Baines. I will have my centre-mids one up soon. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i really hope we invest in bringing defenders that can allow notts to be more attacking minded without the fear of conceding at the back. a solid unit from goal to attack would be great. i am looking forward to seeing who signs for us.

nice list @ARLukomski.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Both Farrend Rawson and Jacob Bedeau will be leaving Morecambe, both offer slightly different things, will be interesting to see the stats for these too.

Danny Collinge is an interesting player, featured quite a lot for England youth teams and signed for Stuttgart when he was younger. I think he's very comfortable with the ball at his feet so it wouldn't surprise me if he was player we were looking at. I can’t claim to have seen much of him but by all accounts he had a very good season and was named in the National League Team of the Year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I am more excited with the signing of Jacob Bedeau than of Matty Platt. Farrend Rawson would be good too, but now I am being greedy!

I wonder if Kyle will ask to move on?