Election reaction 😂

Supporter+

I’ll be voting for whoever has the best chance of unseating the Tory incumbent (probably Labour). Our last MP was that god awful Lee Anderson :panic: what a prick.

The boundaries have changed so now we are in a different constituency.

• Love 1

Supporter+

Supporter+

@Robbie Please don't post lies .. Keir Starmer's school converted to an independent school during his time there. The parents of the pupils attending at the time, were told that there would not be any fees charged to them for the rest of their education. 

edit..source:

Keir Hardie. Starmer grew up in Surrey and attended Reigate Grammar School, a selective state school that became private during his time as a student there.

Supporter+
54 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Robbie "Please don't post ****" ..

There you go again making things personal. Please withdraw your remark.

Supporter+
5 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Sorry @Robbie , it's not about being intolerant, It's about facts and the truth.

Keir attended an independent school.

Supporter+

Try not to fall out chaps it’s not worth it, surely we can discuss things and challenge misconceptions without getting personal.

Lets stay friends it’ll be a long campaign.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+
2 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Robbie Keir attended a State Grammar school.

It became independent while Keir was still attending. His parents didn't withdraw him when it became independent.

Now the Labour Party want to discriminate against hard working people who scrimp and save to send their child to an independent school to give their child the best education possible.

Labour are trying to shut down independent schools by the back door. That goes against freedom of choice.

The Greek government tried the same thing, then had to reverse that policy.

Supporter+

More information about the school Starmer's parents sent him to.

Quoted from Google.

"The school was founded in 1675 as a free school for boys. It became an independent Grammar School during the nineteenth century, but after the 1944 Education Act it came under the control of Surrey County County Council. On the abolition of the direct grant in 1976, RGS reverted to independent status"

Incidentally, Labour also started the process of passing out Grammar Schools from 1965.

Labour abolished direct Grant schools in 1976.

In 1998 Tony Blair's Labour government put an outright ban on new grammar schools being created.

Supporter+

Supporter+

Do as I say, not as I do.  That's the Starmer message today.

Bloody politics again. Please change the subject. As Graham Chapman used to say, 'This is getting too silly'

• Like 1

I'll keep a closer eye on this thread now - Britain may be a democracy of sorts, but PON isn't and I reserve the right to bring down the jackboot of justice and close the thread if mud starts flying. While you're debating, just be sure to target the other poster's argument without getting personal.

While we're on private schools, here's my penn'orth: how exactly is charitable status (and the tax breaks that come with it) justified when a private education is beyond the reach of the vast majority of people in the UK? They should pay their taxes, full stop.

• Love 3

Supporter+

When people talk about private schools they always focus on the large famous independent schools such as Eton, Rugby & Westminster schools.

But there are around 2,600 independent schools in the UK, which educate around 615,000 children, some 7 per cent of all British school-age children and 18 per cent of pupils over the age of 16.

At the moment Parents have freedom of choice and many  parents scrimp, save & go without to give their children a good education at a private school.

Forcing parents to pay 20% VAT on independent school fees is not going to raise a significant amount of money at all, but will force thousands of parents to take their children out of private education, thus denying those children a first class education.

Pricing parents out of sending their children to private school, will also have a knock on effect on state schools where class sizes will swell, to the detriment of the children in those classes.

Rich people will still afford to send their children to private schools, but those who scrimp, save & go without to pay for their children's education will be priced out.

Incidentally University fees and Nursery fees are exempt from VAT. Why not put VAT on those fees too? But that would prove very unpopular and will never happen.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2024 at 09:22, Robbie said:

In 1998, a Labour government abolished Grammar schools altogether.

Can I just state that Labour did not abolish Grammar schools, they banned the creation of new ones. There are still quite a few around, I know of two in Grantham including Margaret Thatcher’s old school.

Personally, I think it is all about choice and a 20% tax will kill a lot of the independent schools off as parents won’t be able to afford it. There is a small school up the road from me in Wellow and their fees for year 7 plus are around £4500 per term, not unaffordable for a lot of working class families but £13.5K out of you yearly salary is still quite a hit. If parents want the best for their children they shouldn’t be penalised for already making a sacrifice, the Labour Party are restricting freedom of choice.

• Like 3

Supporter+

There is a Saying KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORT. Perhaps KEEP POLITICS OFF OF SPORTS SITES Such as PON, Should Be Added.

Politics only Serves to Divide People on here and  Fans who normally can Debate and have a difference of opinion about the Magpies and do it all amicably  change and take snipes at each other. Please Guys Don't Go Down That Path. 

How about a Politics Ban on PON @Chris

• Love 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I agree with your sentiments.

• Like 2

Supporter+

I’ve mentioned before that on another non football forum I use we have a politics section which is hidden unless you ask to subscribe to it and anyone who wants to discuss politics can do so without upsetting anyone else, it works well.