So Who Runs The Notts First Team?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

That's it I know what you're thinking the Old Wheelbarrow Repairman has gone off his Rocker. Stuart Maynard Runs the the Notts First XI. But does he? Is he the only One who makes all the Decisions? Bear with me and I'll Explain. Going back a few months the Magpie Circle Pod Cast had both Notts C.E.O. Joe Palmer and Head of Recruitment Richard Montague on and it more or less went has many PON Members said it would, neither were asked any difficult questions, but thinking back there was something Richard Montague said that didn't really Register at the time, however thinking back, he said something which as got me thinking. That was

During a Match he walks up and down getting worried about the Notts Performance if things aren't going right, yeah Ok but all us Fans get worried when things don't go the Magpies way True.  But walking up and down worrying about things  is something Stuart Maynard should do in his technical Area, isn't it? It shouldn't be a Problem for the Head of Recruitment unless of course he has something to do with the Team Selection and he must make sure the Notts Playing "Model" is followed to the letter. It is the Latter which got me thinking Stuart Maynard was hired because he played a similar style to that of a Luke Williams team, so was one of the conditions Stuart was hired,  was  it he would have to stick to the "Model" regardless ? And let us not forget Stuart was only a Part time Coach when he was hired, so was Richard Montague given the task of helping him make the switch from Part Time to Full Time Coach? And is Richard Montague  still in that Role?

Then again it's Probably Me Just Seeing Things That Aren't There. Then Again....

• Like 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I would have thought that Stuart Maynard has day to day control of the team and he answers to Joe Palmer, who in turn answers to Richard Montague, who in turn answers to the Reedtz brothers.

I would have thought that is the tree of Management at Notts.

I'm sure if there is a board meeting Joe Palmer will report to Richard & the Reedtz brothers. Stuart may be present at board meetings on occasions.

It really depends on the type of Management that is practiced through the Management Chain whether it hands on or off.

It seems to me that the owners take a hands off approach & leave most of club operations to Richard the Sporting Director, but I could be mistaken..

• Like 5

The thing is @Robbie if things do Go Wrong on the Pitch then Stuart Maynard will be made the Scapegoat and Lose His Job, While Montague retains his and waits for the Next New Head Coach, then tells him what's expected of him and how the "Model" must be followed thus tying a New Head Coaches hands regarding trying out a New and Better Approach.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Unfortunately, head coaches and Managers are always made the scapegoat 

But, what we can say is it looks like Joe Palmer has got the right players recruited this time, so hopefully Stuart will be able to mould the team into a successful one this season.

I would be happy to see plenty of clean sheets this season. Just 10 clean sheets would be a great improvement on last season. 

You only need to score one goal to win if Notts keep getting clean sheets.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

I don’t think Stuart was hired to stick the model, it's more his style of coaching fits our current model…

And our model is working at the minute though isn’t it? When we dropped into the National League we always finished in the play-off’s thus giving us a chance of promotion every season, then we did get promoted and last season by not getting relegated we’ve progressed once more. Just from a financial and logistical point too it makes so much sense to have a philosophy. Look at Notts before the Bros, we never had a clear way of playing, just a massive turnover of players to suit each manager who had a different style. Not only did it hamper us but it would've cost a lot too.

I don’t see why it needs to be changed right now, that’s not to say it won’t need tweaking in the future but the Bros don’t strike me as stubborn, if their data is telling them we’re lacking in one area we’ll look to improve it. I agree with @Robbie that you only need to look at the recruitment this season with the defenders. We’ve prioritised ability to defend over ability to play out from the back.

And in terms of Rich Montague pacing up and down, that just tells me he cares. We’re lucky in that sense, look at all the clubs where fans constantly protest about their board members because they don’t care.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

My feeling is that:

The owners have set a club philosophy of style of play, etc.

The recruitment team are responsible for bringing in the players who can deliver that style successfully.

Stuart Maynard has control of team affairs (selection, etc) and will ultimately take responsibility for results.

However, if the owners / CEO feel they have let him down with recruitment they will consider that.

So, when he delivered a record breaking run of home defeats and an underwhelming record after joining last season, he was safe in his role. The summer recruitment, retained list and departures have indicated they feel he was working with one hand tied behind his back so couldn't be held entirely responsible.

• Like 5

Supporter+

Now that the recruitment team have brought in seven new players, eight, if you include Jatta, since Stuart became head coach, it is now incumbent on Stuart to mould a team from the players he has, to challenge for promotion.

On paper the recruiters have done well to bring in players that have performed well for their previous clubs.

Stuart's honeymoon period is over. He will be judged by results from this point forward.

Now he has to show that the owners were right to have confidence in him. 

He has a great opportunity with these players to make a mark for himself. It is down to him now.

• Like 3

The Tippy Tappy Football came to the Fore during Luke Williams Tenure at the Lane and because it was successful in the NL it has been adopted as the Notts "Model". The Problem is this sort of Playing Style doesn't fit in League 2 Sure Notts went on a Run and at one time Even Topped the League. But once the Notts Tactics had been worked out by other Teams, look what Happened. If the Results since January had been reflected over the season, Notts would have been on 41 points and Back in the National League.

I Would Hope that Stuart Maynard is given Free Range in Running the Team the way he wants to (without interference from any of the Higher Ups) and he is allowed to Change things around on the Pitch when it's  Called For and he's Not Forced to Stick to the Model regardless. A couple of the Notts Players who have left the Lane stated they didn't like the way Football was played by Notts. And people have said that New signing Matt Platt may have problems Adopting to the Notts Style of Play. I Quote that from a piece written saying that Bradford have the Better Player ( at the moment) in Aden Baldwin because Matt can struggle with the Ball at his feet. But We Will See.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

as the head coach, i dont think stuart maynard will have much to do with things outside of this area. i am sure he will have input to transfers and what is needed, but that will be handled more by others. it gives him a clearer focus imo, to focus on training, strategies, tactics and the general development of the players.

i would imagine that his role involves less of the business side, including scouting and financial.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

When someone else, other than the head coach, is responsible for recruiting and signing players the head coach shouldn’t take all the blame if those players don’t perform.

I know it’s the coaches job to motivate players and train them to play a certain way but if the players recruited aren’t up to the task or don’t have enough skill then he’s on a hiding to nothing. There’s a saying “you can’t polish a turd”, let’s hope both the people responsible for recruitment and the head coach can get it right this coming season.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

4 hours ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

The Tippy Tappy Football came to the Fore during Luke Williams Tenure at the Lane and because it was successful in the NL it has been adopted as the Notts "Model". The Problem is this sort of Playing Style doesn't fit in League 2.

I’m going to have to completely disagree with you there. Crawley got promoted last season and they play just like us and Stockport aren’t too dissimilar either (but yes they were heavily backed). I can remember lots of fans saying, after losing in the play-offs, that possession based passing out from the back football doesn't work in the National League. Even I was guilty of thinking we needed more changes at times but it never came. We needed a big forward to replace Kyle Wootton, we got Langstaff. We needed two ball winning CM’s, we got Palmer & Bostock. And massive CB to play in the middle of the back 3, we got Baldwin. So pretty much the total opposite, but it worked.

Any style of football can work, but what’s important is getting in the right players (and good ones) to play that system and ultimately a coach who can coach it! I think the issue last season wasn't the style of play but the step up being too much for some of our defenders. It was the one area of the pitch where we didn't strengthen and it cost us (as did Palmer getting injured but that's a different story). I thought early(ish) after Stuart came in you could see we'd made tweaks to how we play and looked better set up defensively but there's only so much a coach can do, he can't physically head it/clear it out of our box for them!

• Like 5

@menzinho

Crawley and Stockport played similar to the way Notts Play, Ok has I'm only really interested in the Magpies I can't Agree or Disagree with your statement. However what Did those Two Teams do Different to Notts ? After all they got Promoted and Notts Didn't. Was it Because their Head Coaches were allowed to Mix things up or change Tactics to counter the threat from which ever Opposition they faced that week.

There were a Couple of Excellent away Performances by Notts Winning 3-0 at Newport (who were on a Good Run at the time) and 3-1 at Bradford (I may of got the Results mixed up) anyway it was commented on PON and other Notts Fan Websites or You Tube channels, how well Notts played and how Stuart Maynard had Mixed things Up. However following those two Results Notts lost their next 2-3 matches by going back to the  "Model" laid down by I assume Richard Montague, because I wouldn't have thought  Stuart Maynard would have changed a Winning Formula, unless he was told to Play the Notts Way.

I am in full agreement with you regarding the injury to Matt Palmer which had a massive effect on the team and system So you would have thought tactics would have been changed to combat Matt's absence.  In My Opinion they weren't.

Notts Defensive Woes were Never really sorted last season, things were Slowly Falling Apart before Luke Williams left and bringing in Stuart Maynard (who at the time was a Part Time Coach) was a decision which placed Enormous Pressure on the New Head Coaches  shoulders what with him having to Prove he can do the Job Full Time and get Positive Results, which only came on a Few Occasions. And why were the Magpies Defensive Issues Only Tackled  in the Current Off Season. When a couple of Short term Loans / Contracted Players may have helped out till the End of 2023-2024 Season.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

As you have rightly said, Notts could have tried to sort out the defensive frailties by bringing in two defensive loan players to shore up the defence..

But what isn't being mentioned anywhere, that if Notts were hell bent on selling Macaulay in the close season, why didn't they make more of an effort to bring in two loan players in the January window, because it could have made the difference in making the playoffs or not?

• Like 2

@Robbie

When was the Famous or Infamous Remark by Richard Montague stating IT Would Take A Massive Offer To Take Macca Away From The Lane?

Funny Enough and I Think I touched on it Before, when Jatta was Signed I Wondered Then If The Club Were Going To Sell Macca and had Lined Jatta Up As His Replacement.

To Be Honest I Thought Macca Would Have Ended Up With Luke Williams At Swansea. Maybe Along With Jodi. But It Would Appear That Only Millwall Were Prepared To Meet Notts Demands. Which Will Be (Hopefully) A Massive Chunk Of Any Future Transfer Fee The Lions Get For Macca When He Moves On From The Den. I Don't Think Macca Will Be At Millwall Very Long, I Think They  Bought Him In The Hope Of Selling Him On To A Premier League Club After What They Hope Will Be A Successful Season in South London.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,780
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

A different slant

I think SM reports through RM, Joe Palmer looks after everything else bar footballing matters

Perhaps LW in terms of the Swansea "settlement" agreed not to come to poach any Notts players?

I am surprised that there was no other interest other than Millwall in Macca?

• Like 2

@Piethagoram

Regarding  Swansea agreeing Not to poach any Notts Players, Wouldn't that be Illegal?  There could have been a Gentleman's Agreement in Place. However I Still Can't See That Being A Reason for Swansea Not Pursuing Macca or Jodi, as any Verbal Agreement wouldn't Stand Up in any sort of Legal Proceedings.

Derby Sunderland Birmingham Swansea Wrexham were all Rumoured to be after Macca at one time or another. Sunderland were a Very Strong Contender to take Macca back to the North East. Birmingham were also a Strong Possibility at One time. The Interest of Derby Swansea and Wrexham was perhaps mere Wishful Thinking. I'll be Honest with you I thought the Millwall Offer came Out Of The Blue. But then again maybe Not because when it became Knowledge the Lions were interested in Macca, the Deal was quickly Done and Dusted. So it would seem the Move had been in the Works for a Fair Time and the Appointment of Macca as Club Captain was only a Ruse to Keep Fans Happy, I mean Why make a Guy Club Captain Only to Sell Him?

It may have been (and this is Only My Opinion) the Deal was concluded  early on but was kept from the Notts Fans, for Fear of the Effect it may have had on  Season Ticket Sales. I Don't Know I'm only Guessing.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

I can't imagine that the owners would tell any coach they have to play exclusively one style regardless.

There is a philosophy of playing from the back, getting the ball wide, and playing a style of football which is good to watch. However, one failing with LW is that he didn't revert to a Plan B when that didn't work.

Possible a problem with SM in his short period so far is that he reverted to Plan B, C and D maybe a but too quickly and too often but I am happy to put that down to trying too hard to sort out a leaky defence and missing the bigger picture.

We don't know what the deal with Macca was as both clubs have reported 'undisclosed' but bear in mind Al-Hamadi went from Wimbledon to Ipswich - a better team, challenging for PL promotion - for £1m and he is only 21 so has years to get better and produce a profit when they sell him. 

• Like 3

• Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I believe @Piethagoram is spot on. Stuart Maynard will oversee Richard Montague and Joe Palmer will kick-start the process of bringing in new players. Montague appears to be deeply involved with player analytics, for both current squad members and potential signings. From the videos we’ve seen, when a new player arrives, Maynard gives them a tour and familiarises them with his vision. However, the financial and contractual aspects are not something a head coach would typically handle. The philosophy has its advantages, and so far, it hasn’t been a bad model. At our level, a few signings might not hit the mark. Over time, this should hopefully decrease. Yet, @Fan of Big Tone is correct, if a player underperforms, it’s more down to who recommended their signing. Maynard can only coach and motivate players, so not all blame lies with him in this scenario.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The board may request that we try to play 'pretty football', but I don't think it will be enforced. We started last season off well, playing some good football and to the mid-point, we were scraping results. You can only make suggestions to a manager/head coach on how the team performs, but the main thing is getting the results.

Although, I do think playing good football is better than winning ugly.

Notts will have a vision of what they will expect and want to see under Stuart Maynard, but his approach and focus will be more on training and match preparation. Getting to the point of handling tactics, with the vast majority of demanding tasks falling on other peoples shoulders.

Managers like more control, whereas coaches enjoy getting stuck in with training and motivating the squad.

I would suspect that Richard Montague is more involved with many aspects of the day-to-day operations, and not just the recruitment. Just behind Joe Palmer and responding to the Reedtz brothers.

Although, I think the Reedtz are more over watchers and quite happy to allow their staff to run the club.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

An interesting question and the more you think about it, the more questions you have. I think the buck stops with SM. It's his job to pick the right personnel to fit into the system. The system comes from the top down though. So is SM allowed to change systems or style of play? Hmmmmm. Oh man, I'm not going that rabbit hole, it's bed time........

• Like 1

Supporter+

The problem last season was letting in 35 to 40 more goals than we should have done.

If we hadn't have let them goals in, Notts would have either won the league or would have at least come third & got promoted.

There is no question that Notts had the best attacking midfield & strike force in the League, but unfortunately, the worse defence.

Notts have now fixed that problem on paper, & with Matt Palmer back, we should get automatic promotion on paper, or at the VERY least, a playoff spot.

The recruiters have done their job, now it's up to Maynard to do the work he's paid for to get Notts into successful working unit.

There are no excuses now for Stuart, he has to deliver otherwise his job will be in jeopardy.